RB3+sub or RP-3?

Stephen328

Originally I was planning on getting a pair of rb-3s for my mains and a sub (probably a KSW-12 or 15). It occured to me maybe I could save a few hundred bucks by buying a powered tower. Primarily the RP-3s. At $660 online, they look mighty attractive. Anayway, I was wondering if theres any sort of disatvantage to a powered tower vs. bookshelfs and a sub. thanks.

Aside from the size differences (can you fit the RPs in your room?) come some considerations for placement. The powered subs in these can only be located at the same place as the rest of the speaker (DUH) which can present some conflicts. In some rooms, the best place for bass reproduction is not the same place that is good for mids/highs.

You CAN sometimes get better sound with the flexibility in placement of a separate sub...

DD

------------------

My System

After measuring my room , I found that I can barely fit a peir of rp-3s. I really dont think placement will be a big problem (my room is only 11' by 11'). I could just go with the rf-3s, but I really like bass. I think its time for a trip to the old Tweeter store. Like jonesey said, I should really go with the one that sounds best to me. I have a feeling its going to be really close, in that case i'll just buy the rp-3s and save myself about $350.

kain, can you give us a little more info regarding the various systems you've actually used whereas separate subs VS powered towers were used?

I personally agree with boa and jonesey. Try them both yourself.

A novel thought would be that you could, if you find it necessary, turn the gain control down on one PT or the other if you experienced problems. You would still basically have a pair of bookshelf speakers and one sub. Also, you may have placement problems in your small room with the separate sub. Works both ways, huh? 2.gif Good luck!

Keith

• 3 weeks later...