how to test tweeter is working properly?

bradymartin

pair of 280fs in small bedroom

right tower is in front of bed, around 4 or 5 feet away from bed.

left tower nothing in front of it.

playing music in direct mode on avr, i notice the tweeter on the left speaker is slightly stronger, and more detail than the right. plus, the sound is also slightly to left of center closer to left speaker, enough that its bothering me.

i guess i could try moving everything more to the left of the room. a few inches at most to get the right speaker more away from the bed in front of it, or maybe i can toe in the right speaker some more. or maybe raise the level on the right speaker 1db?

also, the left speaker is probably an inch further away than the right from the back wall. meaning its a little bit closer to mlp.

i havent noticed this watching movies, but most of the content is from the 450center so i cant really tell watching movies.

• Moderators

I'm not a technical person but I have a feeling a tweeter is working or not, there can be something in between but I would bet your bed or speaker position is the problem. Especially if your bed is high enough to block some sound from that side.

A easy way to just see if it's working is listen closely, put on something like the radio NOT on a station, just static, and not loud , and put your ear up to each tweeter and see if it sounds about even with volume. It should be easy to hear.

Like you said you could always move them a little, sometimes that's all it takes, or you could also do what you said raise that volume a little, see it helps or messes everything up, does not hurt to try it all. 

I have been reading about those speakers, they are getting great reviews, everyone seems to love them, good choice.

• Like 1

I had the same issue just the other day.  Listening to movies everything was fine, but listening to music, it sounded like the music was only coming from the left speaker.  I toed out the left speaker a little as it seemed to be pointing directly at me where the right one was and now it's a little better.  I sounds more like the music is just coming directly from the front, without leaning in a particular direction.  I'm going to experiment more this weekend.  I'm going to experiment more this weekend and see if I toe them out a little more, if makes the the sound appear "wider" and then experiment with a movie to make sure it doesn't affect the quality of the sound either. 

• Like 1

i just want to know there is nothing wrong with the right speaker.

i think the bed in front of right speaker might be the problem. though its only a few feet in front of the speaker

when i got home from work, first thing i did i toed in both speakers directly towards the mlp. prior to that both speakers were toed in just slightly, and maybe the left speaker perhaps a couple cms more towards the mlp.

i watched saving private ryan (a requirement on 4th of july weekend) and raised channel level on right speaker 1 db.

that sort of worked. but not convinced yet because of how audio is designed for movies. for instance, the final major battle i did hear more out of the right speaker, but all the action, where theyre shooting etc. seems to be designed for the right speaker. if you watch that scene youd understand.

after the movie i listened to the tuner/radio in direct mode. i raised the test tone of the right speaker 1db and that sort of fixed the problem, but i only listened to one song. i was tired at that point.

one thing that i am not sure about. on my denon x3300 there are two ways to raise speaker volume.

1. pressing option button i can use channel level

2. pressing settings button i can go to speakers settings and use the test tone

do i need to raise both the same increments or are they independent of each other depending on the source?

when i listened to the radio i only had the 2nd option and that one pretty much worked, though i will experiment more tomorrow. and i will definitely switch the speakers, that will probably tell me if the room and positioning and bed are the problem.

one last thing, shoot, not sure if i have option 1 and 2 reversed when i listened to the radio in direct mode. cant remember hehehe