KLF-30 Mid-Range Horns

Clint.Asher

Thanks for the quick reply.  Unfortunately it appears to be both.  I've ordered the upgraded drivers from Bob just bow, along with the titanium tweets.  I've had no luck so far with the horn.  Bob says the only other speaker that MIGHT use that horn is the KLF-20 but he wasn't sure.

I believe the KV-4 and CF-1 & CF-2 horns are the same but not 100% sure. If the plastic horn is cracked / split apart it is possible to super glue it back together until a replacement is found. If you can provide measurements of the horn I can tell you if the above mentioned horns will work as replacements or not as I have one sitting right in front of me.

don't confuse the size of the compression driver diaphragm/voice coil with the exit size of the driver. The KG tweeters and all the k79 tweeters (quartet, forte(s),klf and Chorus(s)) all use the same one inch tweeter diaphragm. I have a set of EV DH1A which have a three inch diaphragm which I can use in stock form as a nominal 2" exit (1.94") or with the extender cup as a 1.4" exit driver. The driver diaphragm and exit are not one and the same.

Moray, you're reply is exactly what I meant when I made the comment about the various drivers associated with the KG-4, the CFs and mine.  I haven't a clue which, if any of those horns would work in my KLF-30s.  Let's say the KG-4 horn would work.  Do I need to get 2 to make sure they match left and right?  Or are the already the same horn as what's in the KLF's and I only need 1?  Sorry I'm so clueless but I'm just getting in to higher end sound and have a ton to learn.  Thanks for your response and the continued patience of the forum.

Clint

Edited by Clint.Asher
  • Like 1

That's a pretty wicked break. :o I had a RB-5 arrive with a broken horn years back and I super-glued it back together until I could find a replacement on eBay and it worked just fine. In fact with the grill covers on it was impossible to tell which speaker had the repaired horn it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

That's a pretty wicked break. :o I had a RB-5 arrive with a broken horn years back and I super-glued it back together until I could find a replacement on eBay and it worked just fine. In fact with the grill covers on it was impossible to tell which speaker had the repaired horn it.

That's encouraging news JJ.  Thanks!

There's a pair of CF-1 horns I found on eBay but they do not show a side view so I can't tell 100% for sure if its a screw on style horn or not and couldn't find any pictures on the web but I believe them to be the same as what you need. I emailed the seller asking if he could either post a side view pic or tell me if the magnet assembly is a screw on type or not and for general dimensions, I'll let you know if I hear back from him or not. Here's the link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/A-Klipsch-Epic-Series-CF-1-Horn-Tweeter-K-90-KV-/132143750776?epid=718700946&hash=item1ec4619e78:g:l84AAOSwA29Y3e-G

2 hours ago, jjptkd said:

There's a pair of CF-1 horns I found on eBay but they do not show a side view so I can't tell 100% for sure if its a screw on style horn or not and couldn't find any pictures on the web but I believe them to be the same as what you need. I emailed the seller asking if he could either post a side view pic or tell me if the magnet assembly is a screw on type or not and for general dimensions, I'll let you know if I hear back from him or not. Here's the link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/A-Klipsch-Epic-Series-CF-1-Horn-Tweeter-K-90-KV-/132143750776?epid=718700946&hash=item1ec4619e78:g:l84AAOSwA29Y3e-G

Thanks JJ!

So I got a reply back with some pictures and it turns out the CF-1 horn is not the same after all. I guess that leaves the CF-2, KV-4, KLF-20 and KLF-30 that all use the same horn that I'm aware of, possibly more models out there? I'd check eBay every day, something will turn up eventually, I'll keep an eye out as well, good luck!

Jesse

k-90.jpg

Thanks for the link but yeah, they're just a little too far from my house. :(  I'd travel down as far Portland or so and I have family near Missoula so anywhere near there or between here and there would work too.

I do have a cracked KV-4 horn that did not break completely off and much smaller down near the threaded part I may be willing to let go if you cannot repair yours. I already sold the driver to a member here and don't really have a use for it but I'm kind of a hoarder when it comes to Klipsch parts..

It is indeed a great day for my little slice of paradise here on planet eart.  My Crite upgrade parts just arrived.  By tomorrow evening I will be rocking out in a very new and improved way.  My 12 ga. speaker wire also arrived so I will have it all except the replacement horn on one of my KLF-30s operational by dinner time tomorrow (assuming I don't foul anything up LOL!)

Clint