KLF-30 Mid-Range Horns

Clint.Asher

So much for my great day.  I put the Crites Ti diaphragm and upgraded crossover in my KLF-C7 and I still have muffly distortion during a lot of the vocals.  I can't do the audyssey set up until I fix the horn on my KLF-30 Mid range.  I'm hoping since my Marantz SR7011 was set up with different speakers via the Audyssey calibration mic, that it will fix itself when I re-calibrate.  Everything looked fine inside the speaker when I took it apart to do the upgrade.  I am really disappointed because I spent a LOT of money and time trying to find this stuff and everyone (friends all over, not just what I've read here) said how awesome it was going to be when I got it up and running.  *sigh*

Clint

PS  The distortion goes away when I put the original KC-25 back in there.

Is the other smaller broken piece from the horn still in one piece or was it shattered? How are you with fiberglass work? Ive built tons of fiberglass things in the 25 years I was in car audio.  Is it possible to glue the pieces back together and then use some fiberglass mat and resin and put it back together? That would by far be more solid than the flimsy plastic. I've thought many times about doing that to the back side of my CF-3's horns. Just a thought. 

• Like 2

I bought a cracked horn and epoxied the BeJesus out of it, put the Crites upgrades in all the tweeters (KLD-30s and C7), replaced the woofers on the C7 and it sounds pretty darn good.  My Marantz SR7011 doesn't want to calibrate via audessy for some reason.  it says it can't hear the center channel but I hear it fine.  Did a manual cal and the manual cal won't let me adjust the height speakers.  It's definitely a work in progress.  Each tweak I make seems to help a little.  Perhaps I'll start a new thread since my mid range horn issue is cured.

There may be room for further improvement but my theater room sounds pretty much like the real theater.  I'm still looking at building the 18 inch subs and upgrading the rears to KLF-20s if I can find a decent deal on a set.  The front sound stage is all you could ever want and the 525 THXs integrate way better than I even hoped as side surrounds.  All in all it's pretty awesome as is and will get a little better I think with the upgrades I just mentioned.  Be well forum and thanks for the help!

• Like 2