Bought some new toys...Heresy III and RT-12D.

Youthman

Unfortunately, to me it just shows the different mixes from different artists and no way to compare the speakers.

I'll have to look up Edwin McCain... bass on my HIIs is great, as it should be better on the HIII. The bass on the HIIIs should get better after they get broken in.

Bruce

12 hours ago, Marvel said:

Unfortunately, to me it just shows the different mixes from different artists and no way to compare the speakers.

I usually keep a pair of speakers for a while, A/Bing recorded music throughout. Only after hearing lots of material do I get a feel for what model I like better. Is it better to do tone sweeps for a true comparison?

• Moderators

I'm with River...I'm not sure I understand how listening to different source material side by side speaker comparison is "no way to compare the speakers".  I figure that's what I'm listening to right?  So if what I listen to sounds better on one speaker vs another, there's no graph, specs, or even tone sweeps that should change that opinion.  Would love to hear your thoughts on what you meant.

• Moderators
18 hours ago, Tasdom said:

Try this on Spotify... Good mix of horns, bass and vocals. Crank it up!

Jen Chapin - You Haven't Done Nothin

Woah!  Now that was cool.  Not the typical style music that I listen to but man did it sound awesome.  Thanks so much for the suggestion.  Definitely saving this one on my playlist.

Here's what my ears heard.

RF-7II
Upright bass notes sounded great with a thick, deep sound.  Horns sounded very natural.  Stick slaps on the snare were very pronounced.  Vocals were up front and very present.  My eyes were closed during the demo and at one point, I could see in my mind the bass on the left, the horn player on the right and Jen singing at a mic right in front of me and then it occurred to me.....I DON'T have a center channel!  It was a WOW moment for me.  Like I was totally shocked because for a brief moment, my mind envisioned her voice coming out of the center channel (that I don't have).  A HUGE :D appeared when that happened.

Heresy III
Upright bass notes sounded great as well.  That frequency of bass it produces with ease and sounds meaty.  Horns as well sounded very nice.  But what I noticed the most was the stick slaps were much more quiet with the Heresy's and her voice was no longer up front.  It was as if she moved herself a few feet backwards on the stage. 

In this track, the RF-7ii have a much more "Live" sound.  I easily found myself in a small club at a table in the front row eating dinner with my wife.  They literally transported me to the live performance.  The Heresy's sounded very nice but once again, just not near the presence and forward sound that the RF-7ii has.

I can see where the Heresy III are a great fit for Jazz and Blues music. 

Just for kicks, I've been listening at -20db.  I'm going to bump it up quite a bit on the RF-7's and listen to that track again.  Will be right back.....

• Moderators

Oh yeah.....so I turned up the HK to -5db and pulled out my db Meter.  The very beginning of the song was playing at 90db and when the first upright bass note kicks in, it hit 113db!  :o:o:o

I could feel the couch vibrate as well as feel it in my chest.  That's one thing I love about Klipsch....as long as you feed them quality power, they tend to sound better the louder you play them.  I've always tell guests their ears will give out before my speakers will.  LOL.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Youthman said:

Woah!  Now that was cool.  Not the typical style music that I listen to but man did it sound awesome.  Thanks so much for the suggestion.  Definitely saving this one on my playlist.

Not really my style either but it's a great demo to hear a lot of instruments. Glad you enjoyed it.

11 hours ago, Youthman said:

But what I noticed the most was the stick slaps were much more quiet with the Heresy's and her voice was no longer up front.  It was as if she moved herself a few feet backwards on the stage. 

Reminds me of when I first got Heresies after having RP-280F for a few months, the first thing I noticed was that a lot of tracks I was used to hearing sounded like everything had moved back and forth all over the place. I soon came to like the Heresy more, but it was a bit disorienting at first.

• Like 1

(Oops, hadn't intended to send) Thanks for sharing your impressions of the RF7 & Heresy. I've not heard the reference line, been curious what they sound like.

Suggestion great album for demo'ing; Dire Straits, Brothers in Arms.

Enjoy your sounds! All the best, Jeff

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

• Moderators

Good job trying to describe what your hearing, that's hard to do.

One problem, we get use to what we listen to which makes it hard to judge, what helps is someone like you who has different models Rf plus Heritage.  

• Moderators

Ok just watched the video, well done Youthman, as always.

I was a little freaked out, when watching the video I couldn't help but notice something familiar. I know this is going to sound strange but, your walls, same color here, that green and red, exactly the same, freaked me out a little since here the top and bottom behind the kitchen cabinets, same exact red, the rest of the living room same green.  

• Moderators
On 7/3/2017 at 7:34 AM, BlueHusky79 said:

Thanks for sharing your impressions of the RF7 & Heresy. I've not heard the reference line, been curious what they sound like.

As you can see in the photo folders below, I've owned a lot of Klipsch speakers over the years and I've always enjoyed the sound of the Reference Series.  The only set in the screenshot below that I did not purchase was the Palladium.  I went to see and hear them at a gentleman's home and photographed them.

speaker-list-07-03-17.jpg

On 7/3/2017 at 7:34 AM, BlueHusky79 said:

Thanks, I'll check that out.

19 hours ago, dtel said:

Good job trying to describe what your hearing, that's hard to do.

Thanks, I'm pretty simple when it comes to audio.  I don't know the "verbiage" to describe what I'm hearing, I can only provide simple explanations.  Hopefully they are a benefit to others.

19 hours ago, dtel said:

One problem, we get use to what we listen to which makes it hard to judge, what helps is someone like you who has different models Rf plus Heritage.  

Wow, a few years ago, that was crazy talk as I really had no desire to own Heritage only because they looked "dated" and "old school".  I've changed my opinion likely because I'm getting older and have become part of the "old school".  LOL

8 hours ago, dtel said:

Ok just watched the video, well done Youthman, as always.

Thanks, I still have a lot to learn about videography.  With photography, I'm used to thinking about lighting.  Two things I would love to improve in my videos is audio and image stabilization.  I should buy a Rode Video Mic Pro but I'm waiting on the "Youthman Deal" on one of those. 

8 hours ago, dtel said:

I know this is going to sound strange but, your walls, same color here, that green and red, exactly the same, freaked me out a little since here the top and bottom behind the kitchen cabinets, same exact red, the rest of the living room same green.  

That's too funny.  That was my wife's and my mother-n-law's decorating ideas.  If I remember correctly, the walls are "Bungalow Gold" and "Cranberry Red".   My mother-n-law made all of the curtains, table runner that is on the entertainment center and some pillows to match the gold / cranberry color scheme.  She's pretty awesome.

On 07/03/2017 at 7:34 AM, BlueHusky79 said:

Another vote for this. I have the vinyl version and it is superb on the LS. 

Bruce

• Moderators

Hi suresh, I am using a Harman Kardon HK3490 (2ch receiver) as a preamp that is connected to an Acurus A200 (200 x 2) amplifier.  I'm not sure what you mean by "What is the refinement and dynamic sound quality when playing music from your floorstanders".