Bob Carver Sunfire cinema grand five channel amp & Processor

Rxonmymind

Wooohoo!!!

Been wanting a quality home theater set up for awhile. So I shuffled down to an estate sale and there were some electronics left over that didn't sell the prior weekend. Unfortunately, my excitement was tempered as the electricity was turned off in the house so anything that required a plug in was doa.

The Estate sale guy could not get the home owner to turn it back on all week. 

With that, a few people left. Deals had to be cut as it was only 6 people in line at this "do over" sale even with everything half off. That trend would have continued.

I perused the offerings and told the sales agent I'm good as he knows I like electronic items and without juice to test them I'm loathed to buy. He then made an offer I couldn't pass up WITH a guarantee that it worked. I was skeptical as my wife would kill me if I brought something home that didn't work. I'd be doa. 

So I took the plunge at $350 for the pair.

Not knowing what to expect I hooked them up and immediately was smitten with them. As you all know these high powered amps and receivers are laid bare by the super efficient speakers. 

Wow. I'm duly impressed. Clean is the word I'd use to describe them much like my Marantz 2500. THANKFULLY it's in our bedroom which gave me the opportunity to throw the damn Integra receiver out the window. Could not stand the sound of that. 

Apologies in advance for the not so professional video. 

https://goo.gl/photos/WQjePnjfSznSudbYA

IMG_20170629_130432.jpg

• Like 5

Not to shabby with the Wharfedales Denton's either. However my wife preferred the Marantz 2500 over the Sunfire/Klipsch Bell's. 

She does like them in the bedroom and commented how nice they sound. Also the remote is a NICE feature as some music inexplicably louder then others. Beautiful in the bedroom everything from the lights to the brushed black aluminum finish. The volume dial is just class. 

4 hours ago, derrickdj1 said:

Excellent score. Now, when you put this back on the market and list it on the forum, we want the same price, lol.:blink:

That's why I never post my purchase prices.:o;)

Great score, enjoy.

Bill

• Like 1

Nice score.  Bob Carver was really proud of the Cinema Grand line.  I met Bob once at a meet and greet at an audio store in Dallas a number of years ago.  We had talked for a while when a sales rep from the store walked up and tried to put the hard sale on me to spend $5k on a Cinema Grand set up.  Bob asked him to stop bothering me because I already had nice tube gear for my Klipschorns and didn't need a new amp.  I think he was mostly annoyed at the rep's rather rude interruption of our conversation.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Seadog said:

Nice score.  Bob Carver was really proud of the Cinema Grand line.  I met Bob once at a meet and greet at an audio store in Dallas a number of years ago.  We had talked for a while when a sales rep from the store walked up and tried to put the hard sale on me to spend $5k on a Cinema Grand set up.  Bob asked him to stop bothering me because I already had nice tube gear for my Klipschorns and didn't need a new amp.  I think he was mostly annoyed at the rep's rather rude interruption of our conversation.

Recently he was selling an amp online and it was SO heavy he was"flexing" his muscles to hold it up...so he said. I have 300% zoom.... didn't see them so I presume a defective photo.  I told him so. Lol.:D

(My brother is a professional weight lifter and seen the guys he hangs around with. I'm coming from that field) Anyway a funny guy and I got the impression pretty laid back. Glad to buy from someone of his caliber and reputation. That's just as important as the gear.

Thanks for sharing your story. 

• Like 1

looks like a really nice score there!  I don't know a whole lot about the whole HT deal but am trying to learn.  I have picked up that line of Sunfire pieces are some really nice stuff.  maybe one of these days is what I keep thinking.  but then again, my gf just doesn't get the whole "watching for the holy grail" of deals.  and I could be doa too

On 7/4/2017 at 7:24 PM, JohnJ said:

@Rxonmymind the video even sounds pretty good coming through on my pc! You seriously lucked out, and that Sunfire equipment would look primo just sitting there.

Thanks for the kind words John. It does look primo in the bedroom. A very masculine duo of hardware that even feels good to the touch. It has that class & refinement.

11 hours ago, -js- said:

looks like a really nice score there!  I don't know a whole lot about the whole HT deal but am trying to learn.  I have picked up that line of Sunfire pieces are some really nice stuff.  maybe one of these days is what I keep thinking.  but then again, my gf just doesn't get the whole "watching for the holy grail" of deals.  and I could be doa too

Hey js

I don't know a whole lot about this ht gig either and am pretty skeptical about having 7-9-11 speakers for home theater. Fact is I'm quiet happy stopping at five channels and a sub which this amp supplies perfectly and I'll be tickled pink once it's paired up with he Pioneer hpm 100's as ht duties. 

So for now it's in our bedroom until I get my Sony Str 7045 back from being fully restored.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rxonmymind said:

No I'm not. I'm not, I'm not, I'm not. I've got this under control....:P

You do have it under control.  Now that you have a Sunfire, you don't need to look at another multichannel amp again.  I love my seven, and I'm only using five for now.

• Like 2