problems displaying 1080p from my htpc using panasonic pt-ae8000u

mc ricky d

Hello, I am new to this site and would like some info/feedback on a problem I encountered with my Panasonic pt-ae8000u.I bought a used projector from ebay the other day and when I received the projector it was in excellent condition just as the seller had listed. However, when I hooked it up to my home theater I notice the image quality is very faded out and the colors doesn't pop.It has 2620 hours on the lamp.I tried all my good showing blu-ray movies and they all show the same way. I went into the menu and adjusted the contrast, sharpness,color etc.But it still looks washed out and not as bright as my other projector. My question is, do you think its time to replace the bulb?Could the bulb be causing the picture quality and colors to look faded out?Also, when I display my home theater pc I notice the the pc down scale the image to 720p from 1080p (my pc is set to 1080p).I went into the settings of my pc and set it to 1080p again and it went back to 720p.I think the projector is causing this.Does anyone know why the projector is doing this and what can be done to solve these problems.Thanks

Welcome to the forum! Thinking on the bulb is, it will loose some lumens with time. Not sure this is your fade problem though. Getting into the definition and setup, do you have the user's manual for the projector? Some projector experience but limited and awhile ago now. We do have some here that may be able to help answer and troubleshoot.

Thanks!

Try AVS Forum.  The sub forum is $3000 and up Projectors and look for the Panasonic AE8000 pages. You will need to state how far back the projector is, the screen type.   Does the room have ambient light or is it a bat cave?  There is a low power output setting on the projector you may also want to check.  It extends bulb life, but affects brightness.  If I remember correctly, the bulb life on the projector is about 4000 hrs, so you're leaning toward the end.  Using the high power setting may help.   If you decide on a new bulb, go with the Panasonic replacement.  I've had bad luck with previous projector bulbs from other suppliers.  I can't remember how many hours I have on my AE8000, but I'm sure it's not over 2000 hrs.  Love the projector.