Scratchy noise gone

Ljk

Chorus 1 and 2s both sounded scratchy on some cds. Both have Ti upgrade tweeters crossovers rebuided, 1s have new bob crites mid diaphragms. Have felt and form in both tweets and mids, helped some. Tonight I took a felt pad ( about a foot sq.)folded it and stuffed it in each mid, scratchy noise gone. Listened close to speakers and the mids sounded louder, more forward than the tweets that's why I stuck the felt pad in to tone down the mid?

I have no problem leaving the felt in but is there a better way to accomplish this, xq or L pad? Hopefully some of you experts can give me a better idea of what is going on and how to correctly tune mid or mid and tweet. Thanks!

• Like 1

Hi there, I have a pair of Chorus I and I also notice that the mids are more prominent. From what I've been told this is a design feature. 

As for the "scratchy-ness", I've experienced this too on poor source material such as low quality digital music or audio from Netflix (w/o a dac).  As I understand it, the Chorus I is highly sensitive to source material and for better or worse will bring out the details. 

I have the titanium tweeter diaphragms, will be having my xo refurbished by Bob soon. 

Another issue I thought of was you having titanium midrange diaphragms too. Did you get a band pass modification to your xo too? Bob can shed some of the more technical details surrounding that better than I could. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Ljk said:

Chorus 1 and 2s both sounded scratchy on some cds. Both have Ti upgrade tweeters crossovers rebuided, 1s have new bob crites mid diaphragms. Have felt and form in both tweets and mids, helped some. Tonight I took a felt pad ( about a foot sq.)folded it and stuffed it in each mid, scratchy noise gone. Listened close to speakers and the mids sounded louder, more forward than the tweets that's why I stuck the felt pad in to tone down the mid?

I have no problem leaving the felt in but is there a better way to accomplish this, xq or L pad? Hopefully some of you experts can give me a better idea of what is going on and how to correctly tune mid or mid and tweet. Thanks!

Interesting about the felt pad. Have you had the XO's rebuilt yet?

Thanks!

18 minutes ago, Mr._Music_Fan said:

Hi there, I have a pair of Chorus I and I also notice that the mids are more prominent. From what I've been told this is a design feature. 

As for the "scratchy-ness", I've experienced this too on poor source material such as low quality digital music or audio from Netflix (w/o a dac).  As I understand it, the Chorus I is highly sensitive to source material and for better or worse will bring out the details. 

I have the titanium tweeter diaphragms, will be having my xo refurbished by Bob soon. 

Another issue I thought of was you having titanium midrange diaphragms too. Did you get a band pass modification to your xo too? Bob can shed some of the more technical details surrounding that better than I could. 

Think the mid Ti diaphrams are from another source than Bob. Could be wrong there.

Sorry we did not have a chance to speak as have been dealing with a medicals situation with my GF. Maybe we still can in awhile.

Really thinking you will notice a significant enough change after XO's are done. Bob is the go to guy aroundabout here, as you know.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Crites does not sell the TI mid diaphragms but simplyspeakers does at around $160 a pair. Keep in mind that the response and output of the TI mids are at least 1db louder than the stock diaphragms so if the mids seem too loud already I would not recommend the TI mids to be used as it will make that worse.

Both chorus 1 and 2s have Ti tweeter upgrade, chorus 1 xo,s have been rebuild by me with one of bobs crites rebuild kit. The 2s where rebuild by former owner with Dayton audio caps. The new diaphragms in the 1s are not Ti but similar to stock from Bob crites, bob does not sell the Ti upgrade for mids only tweeters. Saw where felt and aquarian filter form could help with resonants in the horn, it did a little. When I rebuild the chorus 1 xovers I cleaned out the magnets on both tweeter and mids also used rope caulk on the horn bodies. Putting the felt directly in the horn body helped with noise more than anything else I have tried.  

Not an expert but I feel it is some sort of resonants problem in the mid horn? I have tried everything I can think except to brace the mid. What I would  need to do a freq. check? Thoughts?

1 hour ago, Schu said:

Scratchy noise... you mean distortion?

Not distortion exactly more like added,  extra freg. (Resonance ?) Hoped the new caps would solve the problem, cleared things up some but not completely. The sound is centered close to vocals when it appears.  Don't think it is a mechanical problem with new diaphragms in both mids and tweets. 

19 hours ago, Ljk said:

Chorus 1 and 2s both sounded scratchy on some cds. Both have Ti upgrade tweeters crossovers rebuided, 1s have new bob crites mid diaphragms

Do the Chorus 1's and 2's have the scratchy sound near same place? And other cd's have no scratchy? Try wiping and examining the scratchy cd's. May sound elementary but, may be a common factor going on. What about other source besides cd?

Thanks!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Schu said:

I would wager some money on caps...

Just rebuild the xovers with Bobs xo kit about 3 4 weeks ago, actually thought about trying a different cap. from a different man. in the mid range. Same value just better /different grade cap. 

How would you describe the scratchy sound?

Is the sound metallic in nature or does it sound like a chalkboard scratch? I ask because you mention that you only hear the sound with vocals. Like BillyBob suggested, is this sound only on speaker or both L+R? Or Chorus I + Chorus II? Do you have any other speakers to test/isolate the scratchy sound? 

5 minutes ago, billybob said:

Do the Chorus 1's and 2's have the scratchy sound near same place? And other cd's have no scratchy? Try wiping and examining the scratchy cd's. May sound elementary but, may be a common factor going on. What about other source besides cd?

Thanks!

Listen to anything from Eric Clayton, bruce Hornsby no problem, Eagles, tears for fears problem until I stuff felt in the horn.  I bought these speakers along time ago when I was going to school in Tampa. Sound advice the local stereo store had a trade in program where you could upgrade within a year's time, I upgraded to chorus 1s while going to school and had the problem then. Not long after getting the speakers I moved to Atlanta and did not touch them until recently. I have tried a different cd player still had the same problem. I have a turn table but it will be a few days before I can hook it up.

I get same, similar sound from my Academy speaker some times but I think it's just the smaller magnet on the tweeter. Xo have not been rebuilt on the academy.

22 minutes ago, Mr._Music_Fan said:

How would you describe the scratchy sound?

Is the sound metallic in nature or does it sound like a chalkboard scratch? I ask because you mention that you only hear the sound with vocals. Like BillyBob suggested, is this sound only on speaker or both L+R? Or Chorus I + Chorus II? Do you have any other speakers to test/isolate the scratchy sound? 

No not metallic in nature or chalkboard scratch kind of like an echo of what is playing only a narrow band of freg.? The sound is not in vocals but  imaged where the vocals are not really coming directly from the horn.

Tomorrow guess I will have to take everything down and set it up properly, been meaning to but been busy building a center channel for HT. I have a set of kp 250s and sp1s I can try also a different reciever and turn table.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ljk said:

Listen to anything from Eric Clayton, bruce Hornsby no problem, Eagles, tears for fears problem until I stuff felt in the horn.  I bought these speakers along time ago when I was going to school in Tampa. Sound advice the local stereo store had a trade in program where you could upgrade within a year's time, I upgraded to chorus 1s while going to school and had the problem then. Not long after getting the speakers I moved to Atlanta and did not touch them until recently. I have tried a different cd player still had the same problem. I have a turn table but it will be a few days before I can hook it up.

I get same, similar sound from my Academy speaker some times but I think it's just the smaller magnet on the tweeter. Xo have not been rebuilt on the academy.

Sounds like we are still with the cd's. If they are somehow flawed or are scratchy, not totally uncommon but rare. Of course the 1's have the exponential mid and the 2's the Tractrix. For both of them to act the same is curious. Are you using the same power to both using 2 channel, and disregarding the Academy for a moment? An even rarer but not uncommon event happened to me when x0's were rebuilt for my Chorus 1's. The wires from xo's to mids ended up crossed somehow and were practically non-existent. and scratchy or static is a word I used. Not saying that is your case on both sets of speakers but...strange things can happen. As you may know better than me, the + positive wire to mid or squawker is usually marked with a yellow or white touch of paint. Only one speaker had the problem as, I checked the other mid with a paper roll, and it was fine. That out of phase stuff can be a wonder too.

Good fortune.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ljk said:

Tomorrow guess I will have to take everything down and set it up properly, been meaning to but been busy building a center channel for HT. I have a set of kp 250s and sp1s I can try also a different reciever and turn table.

Sounds like a good troubleshoot, especially a different receiver.

The best!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, billybob said:

Sounds like a good troubleshoot, especially a different receiver.

The best!

Wanted to wait and finish the center channel but I need to this figure out so I don't have problems down the line, I will post what I fine. Thanks for the help so far!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Ljk said:

Nope, the Klipsch are not supposed to have that....having said that, my ADS 880L have some thin felt inside the grills and the Elecro Voice Sentry 100a sounds like chit without the foam around the tweeter. 

When set up right, the Chorus can be one of the best sounding speakers and go to unbelievably loud levels.