Parallel Mono vs. Stereo Subs...

SWL

I'm running two subs. If the amp is receiving a mono signal, what is the difference between running them in parallel mono vs. stereo?

Is it simply the fact that one of the inputs is now an output, allowing you to daisy-chain amps? Is the sound supposed to be better one way over the other?

My Behringer EP4000 sounded better in parallel mono. The Crown Macro-tech 3600vz that I'm demoing right now sounds better with the subs in stereo.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

I just realized that I had the Crown hooked up wrong in parallel mono. It's different than the Behringer.....you have to install jumpers. I need to look into this.

In the meantime, the dual subs sound great in stereo mode.

What are your subwoofers' crossover frequency?  Where are your subs located relative to your fronts?  What are the dimensions (length, width, height) of your listening room?  Where are your listening position(s) relative to your fronts?  Are you running the subs and front in parallel or crossing over (i.e., "small" vs. "large" fronts).  What is the low frequency performance of your fronts?

All of the above factors are important to answer your questions.

I've found that positioning the subs close to each front loudspeaker in the room's front corners, and crossing over low (40 Hz) means that I can't hear any difference between mono and stereo subs for stereo sources (playing demastered recordings to fix the attenuation of the bass introduced during their mastering).

Depending on what listening position you're using, you might detect the effects of stereo vs. mono subwoofer bass.  Using subwoofer crossover frequencies above 80 Hz are detectable in larger rooms with good acoustic treatments, in my experience, and especially if the subs are not co-located with the fronts.

Chris

• Like 1

The way you wire them will determine how much power is to the speakers and or how much strain there is on the amp due to the ohm load you end up with. With some equipment distortion increases and damping factor decreases in mono operation so it would depend on the amp you're using.

I have run true stereo subs with the right and left front signal going to each sub and noticed that some music does have low end material separated into the different channels that is easy to spot. I recommend running true stereo subs especially if your main speakers are set to "small" or do not play that low, I'm not sure where the audible cut off is exactly 50hz? Obviously you'd want to place the subs near the corresponding mains to get the effect right.

Thanks for the input guys. This is what I have going on:

1. Left and right out of preamp

2. Left and right into Paradigm X-30 subwoofer controller. The Paradigm sums the two channels into a mono signal.

3. I have a Y-splitter connected to the mono output of the X-30 and run out each side of the Y-splitter into the left and right inputs of the amp.

4. So, I'm actually using LFE.....a mono signal into each channel. The X-30 has gain, x-over and phase controls.

So, in this way.....my question is how having the amp set to stereo would be any different than having it set to parallel mono.

In the past I have set up my system to play the subs in true stereo and did not prefer it. Even though this is a 2-channel stereo setup I've always preferred having the subwoofers play LFE.

2 hours ago, SWL said:

So, in this way.....my question is how having the amp set to stereo would be any different than having it set to parallel mono.

Theoretically nothing the way you've got it.  The only difference would be if you bridged it or not.  

When you have an amp like the iNuke that has a built in DSP, running it in stereo allows you to individually adjust the DSP on each channel.  If you run it as dual mono then it's just going to be the same thing even if it's a stereo input.  So basically if you wanted to have a different delay or bump up the response somewhere on one, running it in stereo should let you do this even if you have a mono input.  

• Like 1

In general running a mono signal to the subs is preferred by many people.  If you are using high level inputs, then the bass will be stereo.  The question is how well or how good is stereo bass from the subs.  Most of the directional cues will be higher up in the frequencies and the L/R speaker should have no problem delivering these cues.  When using a low XO point the bass is omnidirectional and the reliance for stereo bass from the subs in of minimal value IMHO.  Vinyl music is not conducive to a stereo bass signal, the needle would have a hard time staying in the grooves.:)

• Like 1

If you're playing phonograph records...the bass is already in mono below ~100 Hz.  This is a limitation imposed by the medium on the music, i.e., stereo bass has always specifically been disallowed on phonograph records due to the magnitude of the needle travel in each physical disc channel, i.e., in the "A+B" direction and 90 degrees to that in the "A-B" direction of the record groove. This is a limitation imposed by the RIAA-standard mastering process for bass frequencies below ~100 Hz.  Most musical performances originally recorded before CDs came into being, i.e., late 1982--it was standard practice to store the stereo masters in pre-mastered condition for RIAA phonograph curves/mono bass. 

However if you've got CDs with rolled off bass, you can restore their stereo bass via demastering.

Chris

• Like 1

Theoretically nothing the way you've got it.  The only difference would be if you bridged it or not.

Ok, that's what I suspected. So feeding the amp with a mono signal....and the amp is set up for parallel mono....the only real reason for parallel mono is so you can daisy chain sub amps then?

47 minutes ago, SWL said:

Ok, that's what I suspected. So feeding the amp with a mono signal....and the amp is set up for parallel mono....the only real reason for parallel mono is so you can daisy chain sub amps then?

There is no output jack on the amplifier for daisy chain configuration.

The Tuba's are an easy load on the amplifier, no reason to over complicate things here. Either hook one sub on each channel or bridge wired in series.

When you set the switch on the amp to parallel mode, you only use input #1. Input #2 then becomes an output. This is how it is on the Behringer EP amps. The Crown is similar....

8 minutes ago, SWL said:

When you set the switch on the amp to parallel mode, you only use input #1. Input #2 then becomes an output. This is how it is on the Behringer EP amps. The Crown is similar....

Got you, just glanced over the manual.

• Like 1