Jubilees- much bigger sounding than my Khorns and LaScalas- now with REW curves!!! A huge thanks to MetropolisLakeOutfitters and Chris A!!!

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Chris A said:

Cool room. Jubs actually look proportional to the room and the corners. 

That's what I was thinking, looking at that picture it should sound good, space to breath.

Congratulations, good looking room.

Pretty amazing speaker really, you would have to spend multiple times the cost to see any improvement. imo 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Trentster5172 said:

Thanks all!  Loving them!!!

Whew...  almost feared you were going to say you preferred your neighbors bose cube's...

Then again, I know my bose sound pretty fantastic...

Bose.jpg

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Trentster5172 said:

Led Zepplin

Led Zeppelin, Where's that confounded E ?! I know, the "E" is silent. Lol. Sorry, when my favorite band is misspelled, I can't help myself.B)

Congrats, and welcome to the club !!!

I think your neighbors will be over more often, just make them bring beer, when they show up uninvited...

• Like 3

@Trentster5172

My pc's got decent sound, but the bass poles on my speakers from your videos@ 1080 without even being turned up. Just can't handle what you rig can put out over a video that probably wasn't even made on professional, hollywood type  recording equipment. Was it? Good job, we're on the same wavelength about subs...ya can't have just one if you want stereo imaging.

Enjoy and make sure your insurance has that inflation clause built into it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Trentster5172 said:

Here's a couple of videos:

So...due to the limitations of YouTube audio (AAC lossy) format and the playback performance of the loudspeakers that are used to play the videos...not to mention the typical mono microphone performance in the recording device...how do the Jubs sound to your ears in real life?

Have you used any acoustic-only recordings (i.e., non-amplified instruments) to listen for overall balance, especially below 200 Hz?  Do you have to flatten the bass curve PEQs?

Chris

27 minutes ago, Schu said:

Let me know when they go up for sale :)

You know...you don't have to wait until your hearing is gone due to presbycusis.  I know a guy in Kentucky that will take your credit card and shipping address.  He's a real nice guy, too.  (They're about the price of new La Scala IIs.)

BTW: the real thing sounds a lot better than YouTube audio over little loudspeakers...but you probably already knew that. ;)

Chris

• Like 1

The price is right Chris... I am still really worried that I cannot just plug and play them. While I don't think the process is over my head, it might be more work than I need versus the performance rewards for my particular listening space. I am dying to try a 2" driver, but I find my current set up somewhat overwhelming for my listening space (roughly 25x35). The LSii's are performing phenomenally right now and I can't use but a fraction of their capabilities.

I am sure there is no comparison in outright performance between a piece of 2 channel furniture and a top of the l line piece of professional gear... I do recognize that fact.

On 7/10/2017 at 8:52 AM, Schu said:

The LSii's are performing phenomenally right now and I can't use but a fraction of their capabilities.

I think that this is a commonly held to be true or relevant, but in my experience, it's never been relevant.  I've never tried to find out how loud any loudspeaker can play, but rather only how well it reproduces music at in-room listening levels.  The reason for 2" compression drivers for home audio has little to do with how loud, but rather how little distortion at hi-fi listening levels and how wide an operating bandwidth without requiring intervening crossovers (which turn out to be the real problem).  I think this distinction is missed or glossed over--way too lightly.

Part of the reason for the phenomenal performance of Jubs in-room is due to the de-rating effect of using them at playback levels that aren't anywhere near their flat-out how loud can you make them go levels-something that I never wished to find for any loudspeaker.  Jubs can easily reproduce anything that I need out of them in my listening room (15.5 x 40 x 10)--no problem, and that's all I care about. If I wanted to use them for PA duty outside, then I'd worry about how loud.  I don't have that requirement for my use. 

On 7/10/2017 at 8:52 AM, Schu said:

I am still really worried that I cannot just plug and play them. While I don't think the process is over my head, it might be more work than I need versus the performance rewards for my particular listening space.

Ask Trent's experience recently while it's still fresh in memory.  I'm sure that he'd be willing to describe the "work involved".

I also just got through helping the sixth Jub owner dial in their settings for their listening rooms. I don't believe many of those guys are ready to go back to anything else that they were using beforehand. One of those guys even shipped me his new crossover to program with his drivers (two sets), along with a backup Dx38 that I had on hand.  The turn-around time was about a week.  Now it can be done remotely, and it takes a few hours sharing measurement data files and preset files back and forth to really dial everything in.  Then it's done. 

Talk to any of those guys. 

Chris

• Like 1

I have no doubts to Chris' statement that getting 100% from Jubes requires active processing. Makes good sense as their design was predicated on this. However, and with your observations this may be you Shu, for several Jube owners passive networks have filled the bill nicely. And like nearly any and all discussions involving hifi getting to that 100% mark is difficult and for most out of reach. But for many including me, getting to the say, that 95 percentile remains good enough. Actually very good, IMO.

The recording was made with my stock iPhone 7 while still inside its case- so nothing even close to a decent recording.

Chris A- do you have some good stuff I can try that would show balance below 200 hz?

So far I've just tweaked your settings a bit without the LF boost that you gave me. So far I've just salted to taste.  I dropped the HF from 3 db in your settings to -6 db, but this may have more to do with the gain on the amps (running Emotiva monoblocks on the LF and Parasound on the HF).  

I turned on PEQ 5 with the settings you gave me, which essentially just turned on the LF boost you had set.  I dropped the 7db increase to 3 db which gave me a little LF boost from PEQ 5, but not the overwhelming 7 db which like you said would probably be too much.

I also put pillows in my window to get rid of the reflections from the left front.  Haven't "heard" any bad echos or reflections otherwise.  The room is pretty good, although I will still invest in some acoustic panels soon and play with that.

I have found the Jubs are actually happier tight in the corners of the room- not quite as tight as the Khorns, which were sealed to the wall, but within an inch or so (almost touching the baseboards).  The speakers are angled halfway between the angles of the flat part of the two sides.  If I align it along the wall of the side furthest front it's not enough angle for the 402, and if I go along the angle of the second side it seems to be too much.  I've angled them right between the two, so maybe 25-30 degrees?  The 402's are aligned with the front of the bin and angled down to the one on the slide scale.

Schu- try it!  It's a new kind of fun!  I was only having problems getting my MacBook to talk to the Xilica.  I just contacted Xilica and they emailed me the newest driver (not sure why they didn't have it on their website).  When I tried a PC laptop it worked immediately.  Once I was plugged in I was up and running in less than five minutes with Chris A on the phone.  I downloaded the settings he emailed me and whamo!

On a side note my MacBook worked immediately with the correct USB driver.  As far as active is concerned I now prefer it.  I was listening to a live concert from Linkin Park and the recording had very harsh S's or sibilance.  I opened the live EQ on my Xilica processor through XConsole while the music was playing, found the problem around 8000 hz, dragged it down 4db and it was gone!  I bypassed the EQ after I was done.  Super nice!!!

As for room size?  I think yours is plenty big.  Although I've found my Jubs happier in the corner they don't need corners at all.  Doing an A B comparison against my LaScalas paired with a R-112SW?  The Jubilees are effortless to listen to at low or high volumes.  Detail is way more apparent with the 2" throat and 2-way design.  If you suffer from tinnitus, which I do, the Jubilees are effortless even when turned up a bit and completely non-fatiguing.

Trent