Jubilees- much bigger sounding than my Khorns and LaScalas- now with REW curves!!! A huge thanks to MetropolisLakeOutfitters and Chris A!!!

6 minutes ago, Schu said:

If that were the case, you could run an AA network on the jubilee...

You're absolutely right, but I don't believe it's going to cause drivers to fail as long as his connections are right.  If he's just checking it out what could it hurt?  If someone knows the time delay for the LaScala bin over the 402 he could try it.  It's probably a lot less than mine.

Ok, got everything wired up correctly... I have two mc275 amps. Should I set the Input Switch on them to 'Balanced' or 'Unbalanced'? Also what should I set the Mode Switch on the amps to? Stereo or Mono? (my guess is Mono but I want to make sure).    Thank You!   Bill  

If you are connected to the amp via XLR cables (which is what the Xilica uses) then balanced.  If you are running an RCA adapter and connected to the amps using RCA's (which you probably are not) then unbalanced.

Stereo if you are using all four channels.  (Mono if you are using each amp as a single channel monoblock, which you wouldn't be in this application).

Here's a setup for running your amplifiers vertical which I prefer. (Right amp for the right speaker, and left amp for the left speaker).  I used the left side of each of my amps to power the K-691's, and the right side to power the bass bins just to keep things easily organized.

Input 1: left channel from your preamp

Input 2: right channel from your preamp

Output 1: left channel bass bin output -> Right input on left speaker amp -> to the left LaScala bass bin

Output 2: left channel HF compression driver -> left input on left speaker amp -> left K-691.

Output 3: right channel bass bin output -> right input on right speaker amp -> right LaScala bass bin.

Output 4: right channel HF compression driver -> left input on right speaker amp -> right K-691.

Double check your connections one by one following them from the beginning to the end to make sure the correct drivers are wired to the correct amps, etc.

(OR)

You can designate one amp to the bass bins and one amp to the K-691's and just use left and right as they should be, but I prefer vertical so you have a little more poop for the bass bins from the amps.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2017 at 7:13 PM, Trentster5172 said:

This will be different for everyone, but I'm happy to share my XConsole settings for my Xilica XP-4080

Just for fun I tried the settings from page 3 on my Jub's and it was lifeless, so much so my wife commented and said change it back.. 

I reloaded the settings that Chris configured for me and everything opened back up. Truly amazing how different rooms can be. Thanks again Chris! I have read through some of the posts on the number of PEQ's affecting sound. My configuration has more than 8 PEQ's per channel so using both input and outputs for this. It got better every time Chris sent updates so my experience seems to go along with Chris's posts.

I will say it is really cool to be able to change so many crossover settings and compare them with others while not needing a soldering iron - really liking the Xilica. Cory was awesome to deal with at Metropolis Lake Outfitters as well.

• Like 2

On another note I was reading in another forum topic about blowing out a Klipsch speaker with 250 watts with many posting that was way too much power "idiot power" for corner speakers. So I'm coming clean right here - I am using 600 watts per channel on my Jub's so be aware I might be an idiot. Sounds great though. :) 

• Like 3

That won't hurt them one bit.  You could put an amp on them with double that.  How loud they were playing would come into play long before you threw enough power at them to hurt them.  In other words your ears would bleed before they would.

And it is amazing how different they sound based on their environment!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ole Dollar said:

On another note I was reading in another forum topic about blowing out a Klipsch speaker with 250 watts with many posting that was way too much power "idiot power" for corner speakers. So I'm coming clean right here - I am using 600 watts per channel on my Jub's so be aware I might be an idiot. Sounds great though. :) 

I must be twice the idiot as you then. I'm putting 1250wpc to the bins now and I'm looking to increase that, not to get more spl but to stay far away from clipping and sound quality. these things come alive the more power they get.   Alot depends on the room though, if these where in my living room i could use 1/4 the power and probably get the same results. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Schu said:

With the xilica there is no more stand alone preamp in the system? The dsp does everything, preamp, cross over, time alignment, eq?

No I use a pre-amp.  The Xilica is just the crossover, time alignment, and tweaks (PEQ's).  It goes between the pre-amp and amplifiers.

• Like 1

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Ole Dollar said:

So I'm coming clean right here - I am using 600 watts per channel on my Jub's so be aware I might be an idiot. Sounds great though. :)

3 hours ago, Md5150 said:

I must be twice the idiot as you then. I'm putting 1250wpc to the bins now and I'm looking to increase that, not to get more spl but to stay far away from clipping and sound quality. these things come alive the more power they get.   Alot depends on the room though, if these where in my living room i could use 1/4 the power and probably get the same results. 

Oh great, now I'm getting wpc envy, thanks, I'm to embarrassed to even talk about my puny little wpc now.  :(

Clipping, unless you're filling a warehouse I think your way past having that part covered, either one of you. :emotion-21:

One day I might try more power, but I would first have to fix the china cabinet in the back corner 34' away, it wants to sing along with different frequency levels when the volume really goes up, it mostly stops when you open the doors for some reason. So if the doors are open you know what's going to happen.  

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10 years ago you could not talk about this stuff here, times sure have changed for the better. For those who were not here, trust me, jubes were the black sheep of the family to put it mildly.  This now makes happy new jube owners that much better to see, it's happening, just like people who originally heard them knew it would, if more people would just listen to them. 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, dtel said:

One day I might try more power, but I would first have to fix the china cabinet in the back corner 34' away,

I was wondering how many of us had this issue. My wife's china cabinet reminds me of the vibrating football game I think Mattel made in the 60's. :)

Even worse when the home theater gets going with 2 subs. I can walk through the house and hear doors vibrating in their frames which is surly a sign of adequate amplifier power. I have read here that some have as many as four or more subs - is everything glued down - earthquake proof? Sounds like fun!

19 hours ago, dtel said:

10 years ago you could not talk about this stuff here, times sure have changed for the better. For those who were not here, trust me, jubes were the black sheep of the family to put it mildly.

I am surprised to hear this as the forum members here convinced me to go for the Jub's which I did on faith and then heard them at the pilgrimage this year. While setup is not as straightforward as say my Chorus II's, having Chris A and Coytee help me out made all the difference in the world. I don't do any social media except this site and am tired of the political nightmare going on with "both" sides. Friendly place here and if not careful you will learn something. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, dtel said:

10 years ago you could not talk about this stuff here, times sure have changed for the better. For those who were not here, trust me, jubes were the black sheep of the family to put it mildly.  This now makes happy new jube owners that much better to see, it's happening, just like people who originally heard them knew it would, if more people would just listen to them. 

Agree 100%

It's exciting and refreshing to see 'the next generation' pick up the ball and share the excitement.  

• Like 2

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Ole Dollar said:

I am surprised to hear this as the forum members here convinced me to go for the Jub's which I did on faith and then heard them at the pilgrimage this year.

It's true it was more than 5 years ago that a "few" people here said they were just PA speakers not intended to be used in a home and was just a thrown together design, they wined and cried about jubes never even hearing them, but with all their wisdom they just knew it couldn't work. Some even went as far as to say it was sacrilege to say it was improvement on the Khorn, this is why some of the facts are pinned to the top of 2 Ch. 

Coytee and Mikebse were the first 2 people to buy a set, and even after many heard them there were non believers, it was so bad there was a special section on the forum set up with only people interested in Jubes were allowed in, this way jubes could be talked about without being harassed, no need for that section anymore.  

On 7/20/2017 at 5:06 PM, Ole Dollar said:

Just for fun I tried the settings from page 3 on my Jub's and it was lifeless, so much so my wife commented and said change it back.. 

I reloaded the settings that Chris configured for me and everything opened back up. Truly amazing how different rooms can be. Thanks again Chris! I have read through some of the posts on the number of PEQ's affecting sound. My configuration has more than 8 PEQ's per channel so using both input and outputs for this. It got better every time Chris sent updates so my experience seems to go along with Chris's posts.

I will say it is really cool to be able to change so many crossover settings and compare them with others while not needing a soldering iron - really liking the Xilica. Cory was awesome to deal with at Metropolis Lake Outfitters as well.

Out of curiosity were there any GEQ's on the input side?  If not I could actually email you the file with the GEQ's and you could try it again to see if you liked It any better.  I'm just curious if it would change it from sounding so flat.

• Like 1

On 7/20/2017 at 7:11 AM, Trentster5172 said:

If you are connected to the amp via XLR cables (which is what the Xilica uses) then balanced.  If you are running an RCA adapter and connected to the amps using RCA's (which you probably are not) then unbalanced.

Stereo if you are using all four channels.  (Mono if you are using each amp as a single channel monoblock, which you wouldn't be in this application).

Here's a setup for running your amplifiers vertical which I prefer. (Right amp for the right speaker, and left amp for the left speaker).  I used the left side of each of my amps to power the K-691's, and the right side to power the bass bins just to keep things easily organized.

Input 1: left channel from your preamp

Input 2: right channel from your preamp

Output 1: left channel bass bin output -> Right input on left speaker amp -> to the left LaScala bass bin

Output 2: left channel HF compression driver -> left input on left speaker amp -> left K-691.

Output 3: right channel bass bin output -> right input on right speaker amp -> right LaScala bass bin.

Output 4: right channel HF compression driver -> left input on right speaker amp -> right K-691.

Double check your connections one by one following them from the beginning to the end to make sure the correct drivers are wired to the correct amps, etc.

(OR)

You can designate one amp to the bass bins and one amp to the K-691's and just use left and right as they should be, but I prefer vertical so you have a little more poop for the bass bins from the amps.

Thank You Trent! Well, I got it hooked up right... But, to make a long story short today I UPS'ed my Zilica & one of my K-691drivers to Chris... He's going to program it for me.  Bill

13 hours ago, dtel said:

It's true it was more than 5 years ago that a "few" people here said they were just PA speakers not intended to be used in a home and was just a thrown together design, they wined and cried about jubes never even hearing them, but with all their wisdom they just knew it couldn't work. Some even went as far as to say it was sacrilege to say it was improvement on the Khorn, this is why some of the facts are pinned to the top of 2 Ch. 

Coytee and Mikebse were the first 2 people to buy a set, and even after many heard them there were non believers, it was so bad there was a special section on the forum set up with only people interested in Jubes were allowed in, this way jubes could be talked about without being harassed, no need for that section anymore.  

And let us not forget one of the Forum favorites the LaScalla, was indeed a PA speaker and designed for the purpose. Seems they are taking space in many a home these days.