Jubilees- much bigger sounding than my Khorns and LaScalas- now with REW curves!!! A huge thanks to MetropolisLakeOutfitters and Chris A!!!

8 hours ago, 32blownhemi said:

Thank You Trent! Well, I got it hooked up right... But, to make a long story short today I UPS'ed my Zilica & one of my K-691drivers to Chris... He's going to program it for me.  Bill

198fecd6-picard-double-facepalm-gif-5917

• Like 3

Bill is apparently the first using a DSP crossover and K-691 driver/K-402 horn with La Scala bass bin.  For those wanting a turn-key setup, this is an option.  The cost to program it is the shipping to-and-from the D/FW area.  The degree to which the owner later on wishes to try out programming and in-room measurement for themselves, that option is still available to him/her. 

When it's done, the Xilica preset file will be available for others that want to program their active crossovers for K-402/K-681 and La Scala or Belle bass bin--or a dealer with the resulting preset file to do it for them.   

When you think about the number of people using room correction software nowadays--this isn't much a stretch of that concept.  And the listening results are typically spectacular doing it this way.

Chris

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Chris A said:

When you think about the number of people using room correction software nowadays--this isn't much a stretch of that concept.  And the listening results are typically spectacular doing it this way.

Chris:

You couldn't be more right on this one. The last config you sent me is pretty awesome. I played a CD on the Jub's for my wife last night and she commented on hearing the plastic sound of the pick popping on the strings and you could hear the hand clapping moving around the microphone. And my room is not optimal so I know when I do get a better room the sound will improve again, without a soldering iron.

• Like 4

• Moderators
53 minutes ago, Speed said:

I guess Jubilee's, are the new black... ( or the norm ) if you prefer...

Well some people will never use something that big or that looks like a jube, unless it's a dedicated room. But your right, as people heard them more realized they do sound as good as what people were saying. 

We don't have jubes, ours are bigger but close to the same sound and it was all about sound for us, looks were second although we think they look good also.

The thing to remember with jubes is cost, look around at ANY speaker that can produce the same sound and compare the cost, your going to be shocked at how cheap the jubes really are for that level of sound quality.

• Like 4

On 7/17/2017 at 3:31 PM, Chris A said:

I cannot hear any "veiling" with the Xilicas--in fact, its just the opposite.  It's breathtaking at times.

I can hear the difference between a Dx38 and the Xilicas/Yamaha, but these are in different generations of DSP crossovers - separated by more than a decade in electronics and processor performance.

The engineering dept. at a small speaker company in Georgia that makes huge speakers for stadiums and the Star Wars display at Disney World,  TOTALLY agree with this statement. 

• Like 1

On 7/18/2017 at 0:05 AM, richieb said:

My ears, not graphs, tell me my passive Jubes sound extremely good. My current solid state front end sounds so good I have little interest in several tube amps that now sit and are being sold. So good that I ask myself why are Hypex nCore monoblocks showing up in a couple days? Because like much of the above experimentation, to see if I can find another % of better. Because its fun. Just do it - passively. 

I have Hypex Monoblocs and are a super efficient, great sounding amplifier. They deserve all the accolades and will provide lots of HEADROOM on a Klipsch Jubilee BUT will sound as good as pure single ended Class A for the First Watt or less (own an Aleph J to compare). Julbilees with Roy's' passives and Hypex will be a winning combo. Much much micro detail in them tunes!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris A said:

Bill is apparently the first using a DSP crossover and K-691 driver/K-402 horn with La Scala bass bin.  For those wanting a turn-key setup, this is an option.  The cost to program it is the shipping to-and-from the D/FW area.  The degree to which the owner later on wishes to try out programming and in-room measurement for themselves, that option is still available to him/her. 

When it's done, the Xilica preset file will be available for others that want to program their active crossovers for K-402/K-681 and La Scala or Belle bass bin--or a dealer with the resulting preset file to do it for them.   

C'mon Chris...you know horns are honky...  get back with the program.

:huh:

• Like 1

^^^^^

Yep its about three days with the Atsah Hypex NC500 nCore's and without the new gear bias I do think they are at least the equal if not exceed the FW F3. They do not seem to miss anything from micro detail, deep and tight bass, incredibly life like trumpet signature and crack the whip snare drum. As I've said in a previous post they don't run as cool as I had thought or that of a gainclone chip amp but Much cooler than any NP FW Class A design. Another forum member visited the same day I got the nCores and he just shook his head saying this was club level, live sound. I doubt either one of us bought them for the 400 watts per channel but for other advantages we have both noted.

• Like 2

On 7/20/2017 at 7:12 PM, Ole Dollar said:

On another note I was reading in another forum topic about blowing out a Klipsch speaker with 250 watts with many posting that was way too much power "idiot power" for corner speakers. So I'm coming clean right here - I am using 600 watts per channel on my Jub's so be aware I might be an idiot. Sounds great though. :) 

As long as the "First Watt" sounds good, you can have as much power as you want. But unless you are using Hypex amplifiers, that may not always be the case.

21 hours ago, Ole Dollar said:

I was wondering how many of us had this issue. My wife's china cabinet reminds me of the vibrating football game I think Mattel made in the 60's. :)

Even worse when the home theater gets going with 2 subs. I can walk through the house and hear doors vibrating in their frames which is surly a sign of adequate amplifier power. I have read here that some have as many as four or more subs - is everything glued down - earthquake proof? Sounds like fun!

I have 4 Tapped horns subs that are identical to those used in a Chicago Imax Theater with two Crown K2's (800 W x 4 channels). Got bass headroom?? LOL.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, richieb said:
2 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Glad you still have a great sense of humor, Roy!!

And - who said he is kidding?!? I agree - a complete ban on all boneheads! Well, Almost all boneheads??

Can't really do that, it would only leave a few people and it would get boring fast.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Chris A said:

Chris

Turn key? Well it's only turn key because of Chris! Otherwise I'd have a pile of equipment that didn't play music! So I'd like to do a 'shout out' to Chris!  Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! ...     Bill

• Like 3

Like many other skills, with just a little time and effort the tasks turn into automatic action--not unlike riding a bike, swimming, or playing a musical instrument.  Lots of people have learned--probably because it's advantageous in the long term to know how.  Balancing loudspeaker EQ (using measurements) and even rebalancing the music I play (demastering): I've found these to be useful skills. 

With the increasing commonality of DSP crossover use, more and more "audio aficionados" are developing the ability to use the freeware tools.  All it takes is a PC/laptop, a measurement microphone (<$100) and a DSP crossover, all of which can reused again and again: they're not tied to a particular set of loudspeakers.  This is just like amplifiers, preamps, and media players: the economics of DSP crossovers are now attractive because of their reusability and their ability to significantly improve sound.

Chris