Rear surrounds and Atmos

Clint.Asher

I have been very pleased with iNukes. Spend an extra $10 and do the 5 minute fan upgrade so they don't sound like a hair dryer. 

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/subwoofer-amps-high-pass-filters/82690-inuke-nu6000-fan-mod-w-lots-pics.html

As for woodworking skillz, I had absolutely zero experience. The most challenging part is getting straight cuts on MDF. 

And using a router with a circle jig. https://www.infinitytools.com/blog/2016/12/01/how-to-cut-perfect-circles-using-your-router-with-jasper-circle-guides/

I can assure you though it is certainly nothing worth getting intimidated about, its probably still 101 level woodworking stuff, especially if you don't really care about rounded corners and high-gloss piano black finish. 

All in for my current setup:

4 18" dayton HO's $1000

8 sheets of MDF - $400 (the stuff at my local lumber yard was better than the stuff at HD and Lowes, but I could have saved ~$50. 8 sheets will get you 4 full sized marty sub cabinets and enough left over for all the internal bracing

2 iNuke 6000 DSP - $800 - $820 with two quieter fans

Glue, screws, 2 queen sized foam mattress toppers for lining, silicon, wood filler, spray on adhesive, duratex or rattlecan - $100 -$300

Wiring / Speakon Connectors - $50

Tools - Brad nailer, air compressor, router, orbital sander, sawhorses, skilsaw, straight edge, tape measure ?? This is variable because I bought some stuff at pawnshops, yard sales and you could probably rent all this stuff for a few weeks for a $100 if you didn't want to buy it. But still, that is right around $3000 even on the high end, but still way under the price of one new JL F113 and more comparable to the price of one SVS PB16 Ultra.

Plenty of ways to save too. Stereo integrity has 18's on sale for $160, you might not want or need 4 refrigerator sized cabinets in your room, so you could go with 2 or step down to a marty cube or mini marty design.

My opinion - best money and time you'll spend in home theater.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well I finally got everything upgraded and installed and ... WOW!  I have the theater sound in my home theater.  It's everything I hoped it would be.  I still think I'm going to upgrade the rears to KLF-20s.  The KF-28s sound great back there but I think I may see even more improvement with the upgraded speakers in back.  I'm extremely impressed with how well the KS-525 THX speakers integrate with the KLF front sound stage.  I feel like a little kid  LOL!  I'm also curious how much improvement I'll get with the 18 inch subs idea that a couple of you have mentioned earlier.

• Like 2