What gives you "Goosebumps"?

jorjen

I don't believe there could be a more appropriate day to pose this question and Happy Fourth Of July to all!

Just saw a post by Travis(thanks for that by the way)in another thread of a quote from The Declaration Of Independence and it got me to thinking about some of the things that truly have an amazing and sometimes inexplicable emotional impact on me or the things that give me "Goosebumps" .

I realize just knowing the type of folks we have here on the Forum that a good majority of "Our" first few on the list so to speak will probably be somewhat similar. We would probably have to go down that list a bit before we start to diverge much.

The unfortunate thing for me is(because a lot of times it is in public)that number one still brings the tears as well. I have tried like Hell over the years to control that and I just cannot seem to make it happen. Is what it is I suppose.

Some of mine are:

1) The Star Spangled Banner. I have never failed to succumb to it when performed in an at least close to traditional and what I consider an acceptable, respectful(to the Anthem)manner. I don't think I need explain myself on this point.

2) The stories behind the folks whom have been awarded The Congressional Medal Of Honor and just the Congressional Medal Of Honor concept in general I suppose. Very, very moving to me and I cannot think of anything else on this planet that commands more respect, gratitude and admiration.

3) Reading The Declaration of Independence.

4) Reading The Constitution.

5) Military "Flyovers" at ball games.

6) Knowing that a woman as good as my wife Loves me.

7) How much I Love my Son.

8) Watching my Son shoot Trap. He is good and he got that from me hence the "Goosebumps" on that one. HaHa!

In the spirit of this thread, what are some of yours?

• Like 6

1 hour ago, jorjen said:

Good ones. "Band of Brothers" gets me a bit too.

That series really makes me feel that was truly our greatest generation.

I realize nowadays we have many differences......but back then everyone went (over there) and truly allowed the rest of the world to see how great we are.

George

30 minutes ago, oldred said:

That series really makes me feel that was truly our greatest generation.

I realize nowadays we have many differences......but back then everyone went (over there) and truly allowed the rest of the world to see how great we are.

George

Well said George and I agree entirely. My Dad fits in that category. He was in the Third Marine Division in the Pacific. Drove a Bull Dozer clearing air strips in the jungles with his M1 on his lap and another Marine with one sitting up behind him watching the *** end.

They just don't make them like that anymore.

That is the only negative in watching things like that for me. They tend to remind me of what our society has largely become.

1 minute ago, jorjen said:

That is the only negative in watching things like that for me. They tend to remind me of what our society has largely become.

Complicated, isn't it?  The same greatest generation, as a whole, begat and raised the generation that has created what we have become.  That's why I tend to shy away from that label.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

Complicated, isn't it?  The same greatest generation, as a whole, begat and raised the generation that has created what we have become.  That's why I tend to shy away from that label.

Complicated and sad but true.

I know this may sound awful to some, but I am grateful he did not live to see what this world has become. 

I also guess I left an item off my list above.

In loving memory of

Jordan Kenneth Jensen

1920 - 1981

SCN_0001.jpg

• Like 3

"Where there is no vision the people perish." --- Proverbs 29:18  King Solomon

Of the four wars in my lifetime, none came about because the U.S. was too strong — Ronald Reagan

All this talk about what gives one goosebumps made me think of these 2 great leaders.

Our great nation does great things when led by great leaders.

• Like 2