RP-250S placement?

Spulbus2013

Is it gonna be a problem to purchase the RP-250S or 240S for a rear surround on this wall? The left surround speaker will be  pretty close to the corner not sure how that's gonna effect the sound. Any advice? Should I not get the RP-250S, and instead a RP-160M or something else for the rear surround? This is a 5.1 system by the way.

IMG_5932.PNG

Advice that I had been given and seen on the forums is that the bipoles are actually better if you sit close to them so sound is not so directional.  My surrounds are behind me and to the sides (farther behind than to the side) but at a good distance away (up to 7-8 feet) and Klipsch actually told me monopoles (used RP-150M) would probabaly be better in that scenario as the RP-240/250s would be too diffuse.  So I think for you I would go with the bipoles.

• Like 1

Placement in this situation is more important than the specific speaker chosen.

If placed properly you won't mind either speaker.  Placed sub optimally any speaker can be an issue.

Ideally the surround speakers are side surrounds, located close to horizontal to your ears on the couch.

Ideally again I would say just slightly behind, and a foot or two above allows for the best surround (height helps to hit all seats).

Put the side surrounds to the side of the couch and either speaker will work great.

Where you are proposing to put them is similar to where back surrounds would go (a bit closer together, but almost spot on).

Will it work?  Sure it will and probably sound good.  But if you test it yourself, you'll hear the big difference in small changes in placement in given room.

I really don't think the selection of speaker as a monopole or bipole is critical here.  I like the bipoles better but have both in different theaters, they both sound great.

• Like 1

Assuming your AVR has autcorrection to set the levels -- or you can do it yourself, it won't matter that it's close to a corner.

What may matter if that is a model of your room is that the left side has a wall and the right does not.  I have experience with this kind of setup.

It may be difficult to get a very balanced sound left to right in that situation.   If this is indeed your setup, some sound absorption on the left wall will help with that issue.

The issue would be that the sound reflections coming off the left wall will be strong, and alter the sound, while the right side will have fewer or weaker reflections.  Sound absorption can balance this issue out nicely if needed.  

6 hours ago, RoboKlipsch said:

Assuming your AVR has autcorrection to set the levels -- or you can do it yourself, it won't matter that it's close to a corner.

What may matter if that is a model of your room is that the left side has a wall and the right does not.  I have experience with this kind of setup.

It may be difficult to get a very balanced sound left to right in that situation.   If this is indeed your setup, some sound absorption on the left wall will help with that issue.

The issue would be that the sound reflections coming off the left wall will be strong, and alter the sound, while the right side will have fewer or weaker reflections.  Sound absorption can balance this issue out nicely if needed.  

Yup that's it perfectly, here's another pic of everything cleaned up waiting to setup, Trying to find the very best setup that will sound great and look half decent also. Wish I could mount them to a side wall but as u can see that's not a possibility, yeah I'm thinking all about the reflecting surfaces of that left wall also, that's my hang up. 

IMG_5429.JPG

Good picture for reference. One other option could be facing the couch toward the window toward the back of the room. Have the TV in front of the window and the RF 82's to the side. Then the rp250s can go to the side of the couch easily on the big side walls. You may not loose too much of a view with that window being so big plus you won't have to worry about glare on your tv. 

If not, really the only other option I see is on the back wall on either side of the couch. 

IMG_7909.thumb.PNG.da733a286676c93201b9a64ebd198d42.PNGIMG_7908.thumb.PNG.aff1f9986e229ed4ba5c634727f240c3.PNG