AVR FOR RP-450C

jerseybowler

I am currently running a 5.1 with RP-260F and RP-250C powered by Yamaha RX-A1060 at 110 watts/channel 8 ohms with 2 channels driven.  I planned to upgrade the center to an RP-450C, but was told by Klipsch rep that my AVR was not powerful enough.  He said I need minimum 150/channel and that I should consider RP-440C.  Just wondering what avr others are using, in what configurations.  Thanks.  

That advise doesn't quite make sense to me.  The RP-450C is very efficient with a sensitivity of 97 dB meaning you need very little power relatively to drive it.  The specs say continuous power handling "up to" 150W, not a minimum of 150W.  I'm using a Denon x4300h with 125w/channel but I'm sure I never send anywhere near that to my 450C as I tend to listen at lower volumes.  Sounds great to me.

It was Klipsch product support that I called.  Although I would prefer the 450C, I haven't ruled out the 440C.  It definitely has higher WAF than the 450C.  I am a little worried that the 4 inch drivers in the 440C would not be a significant upgrade above my current RP-250C.  User and expert reviews of the 440C are hard to find.

There are a lot of people, including myself, that would like to see Klipsch produce an RP-260C, with 2x 61/2 woofers.  It would be easier to place and probably be a big seller.

The larger speaker is more efficient and will actually need less power. If the mains are wide apart, then a larger center will help tighten the front stage.  If the are only6-8 ft. apart, no big deal.  6 1/2 in. drivers make for an awesome center speaker.  For most rooms a 6 1/2 in driver is perfect of male and female voices.  A speaker with a couple of 4 1/2 or 5 1/2 in. drivers is also great.

5 hours ago, jerseybowler said:

There are a lot of people, including myself, that would like to see Klipsch produce an RP-260C, with 2x 61/2 woofers. 

I am a fan of 2-way MTM designs and I happen to like the sound that comes out of highly quality 6.5 to 7 inch mid-drivers, especially male and female voice.  It hits the sweet spot for me.

I am with you.  :emotion-21:

• Like 1

Are you reading this Klipsch?  Give the people what they want!  Seriously, there are several people over at AVS Forum that have expressed the same interest in such a center.  It would be similar to the RC-62ii, but with the RP pedigree.  You can sign me up for one.