Police Inquiry

derrickdj1

There are so many negative reports on police departments around the country.  Many of them are  a service to the public to let us know about what is going on.  Today, I had a knock on the door.  No expected deliveries or home maintenance people expected.  I open the door and there is a police officer at the door.  In my mind, what happened.  Jay walking can get you on the front page of the news in my town.

I was read to plead the 5th even though I did not know why he was at my front door. Could it be  our 4th of July partying.  I had the cell phone blasting Pandora radio. To my surprise, they were not after me, lol.  It was a neighborhood survey to see what we thought  about their job performance and community interaction.  They ask questions on neighborhood patrol, park safety, bike and riding trails.

I gave them glowing remarks since this represent a  police department that other communities should strive for.  We don't have bogus traffic stops, police that fired on a citizen because they felt threaten(BS) and a ton of lawsuits against our department.

Law enforcement does not deserve our blanket approval and support.  I can say in our town, they have earned it and are a part of the community at a grass roots level.

,lol or something shocking.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, derrickdj1 said:

It was a neighborhood survey to see what we thought  about their job performance and community interaction.  

That's what they want you to think.  They probably wrote a contact report about your interaction.  

• Like 2

The police around here interact with the community and schools.  This is a small town and has always maintain a good relationship with the public over the last 20+  years that I have lived here.  This town has about as much as Mayberry USA.  When I first moved  here, we had less than 12 police.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, derrickdj1 said:

The police around here interact with the community and schools.  This is a small town and has always maintain a good relationship with the public over the last 20+  years that I have lived here.  This town has about as much as Mayberry USA.  When I first moved it here, we had less than 12 police.

Obviously, Deputy Barney and ThelmaLou have been procreating since before you moved there.  The good thing is that the ammo expense incurred by the bureaucracy is low, with just one bullet being issued for the pocket of each officer on the force.

• Like 1

I have great respect for the police...When I was growing up my father was a part time village cop.

Only problem I ever had was......many years ago while driving home at 1:00 am getting pulled over and the officer asked if I was drinking and I said only coffee. Then I was asked for my license. Then I was asked what I was doing in his town at 1:00 am when I lived some where else....My answer was "What is this Russia"....wrong question.

Guess what ....now I live in that town....go figure.

George.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, oldred said:

I have great respect for the police...When I was growing up my father was a part time village cop.

Only problem I ever had was......many years ago while driving home at 1:00 am getting pulled over and the officer asked if I was drinking and I said only coffee. Then I was asked for my license. Then I was asked what I was doing in his town at 1:00 am when I lived some where else....My answer was "What is this Russia"....wrong question.

Guess what ....now I live in that town....go figure

George.

I know how you felt.  I was once eating at a dinner with three friends, an Arab, Jew, and Italian roommate in  college.  We were in Texarkana, a man walked up to us that was having his lunch with some local cops and said, you boys are not  from around here.  We quickly said no and was advised to not  be in the area after dark.  We looked out to the parking lot at all the pickup trucks with shotgun rack and thank the man for his advise.  We continues on our destination to Brownsville Tx.

When I was in UT (Just moved to CO actually), I lived in Utah County in an unincorporated part of the county that was still technically within city limits. I called the Sheriff to ask if I could shoot my hunting bow on my property as it was allowed in the county but not the city. His response was,

"Well, I have my own opinion on all those city regulations. Anyway, it looks like you are technically within the limits but the local cops dont have jurisdiction... Lets just say if anyone calls in to report you on it Im sure as hell not going to go out there."

I have had great respect for the Utah County Sheriff office ever since. :cool:

• Like 3

• Moderators

I too have great respect for police, not great pay and a terrible job, it take a special person to do it. 

We live in the country, I see them pass sometimes but that's about it, I wouldn't want to see them pull up in the driveway.

It is fun about the shooting SWL.  We live on the edge of the town and the police shooting range was nearby.  Our neighbor's house had a few bullets hit it from police target shooting.  After that, the shooting range was converted to a park and local garden.

17 hours ago, derrickdj1 said:

It is fun about the shooting SWL.  We live on the edge of the town and the police shooting range was nearby.  Our neighbor's house had a few bullets hit it from police target shooting.  After that, the shooting range was converted to a park and local garden.

Dip$hits built houses on the other side of the hill downrange from our local police range.  Then they decided to complain about the shooting range and it eventually got shut down.  Running out of places to go.

18 hours ago, dtel said:

I too have great respect for police, not great pay and a terrible job, it take a special person to do it.  ...

I wouldn't want to see them pull up in the driveway.

9 hours ago, sunburnwilly said:

It's like any comparison in life . Some people suck , most don't .

ditto all that.  I have a great deal of respect & admiration for all law enforcement - generally speaking of course.  IMO they, and our armed forces, have some of the most difficult jobs there are, under (at times) tremendous amounts of stress, required (expected) to make split second decisions that affect life & death including their own ... and all that.  but we're a fairly smart group here.  we all know that.

I give them all the benefit of the doubt, and as much latitude as I can, given those considerations above.  like I try to do with everyone - I trust they will treat me & everyone fairly until proven otherwise, and we go from there.

but now, if it that guy who makes me stop on the side of the highway when I'm only 10-15 over the speed limit - that's a WHOLE different story :angry:

danggit - me?  again?   :pwk_bs:   no, honestly - it MUST have been that other guy!  :dry:

6 hours ago, muel said:

Dip$hits built houses on the other side of the hill downrange from our local police range.  Then they decided to complain about the shooting range and it eventually got shut down.  Running out of places to go.

Many years ago, when I lived in a town far, far away, I read on a forum about a shooting range situated within a mile or so of a public beach at a local lake. Apparently somebody had been walking along the beach, felt "something" hit them on the shoulder, looked around and found a bullet (just bullet, no cartridge) on the ground, and assumed that it had been the bullet that hit them. No injury. Folks raised holy heck; howling about how dangerous the range was and that it must be closed-down.

I did a little research; found that in the several decades that the range had been in operation it had a perfect safety record. In that same period of time there had been several drownings at the beach. I commented that it appeared to me that it was the beach that should be closed-down as a safety hazard, not the range.

My comment wasn't well-received.

• Like 1

On 7/6/2017 at 11:31 AM, derrickdj1 said:

I gave them glowing remarks since this represent a  police department that other communities should strive for.  We don't have bogus traffic stops, police that fired on a citizen because they felt threaten(BS) and a ton of lawsuits against our department.

When I lived in SAN Tan Valley, the Pinal County Sherriffs Dept impressed me. The deputies were always polite, helpful and well turned out. Traffic stops were more about safety than revenue.

I have moved into Chandler and now have a myriad of local, county and state jurisdictions. Not to mention recovery from the decline of Sherriff Joe.

• Like 1

JBCODD it does make a difference  if you feel the police are a part of the community vs doing a job and have no concern for your kids or family.  We have elderly parent and don't want them shot walking down the block if they don't respond to a question quick enough or with the precision right answer since they are not from here.  I like law enforcement for the most part but, I don't and will not give them a blanket pass on their action.  

It is a blessing having a good police department.  I live fairly close to Chicago which has a police department that is hard to stand up for.  Over the fourth  of July weekend more than 100 people were shot in Chicago.  This is a crisis and yet, no one is looking at it like an emergency.  The local precincts have to know what is going on and ignore it to a large part.  A corrupt police department is also to blame.