Jump to content

Lost our home to fireworks!!!! Updated...


jorjen
 Share

Recommended Posts

To all you GREAT friends - Thank you sooo much for the thoughts and well wishes. You cannot truly know how much we appreciate it.

 

Well, in all honesty I must admit......this whole thing sucks!  :lol:. A totally surreal situation to say the least. I will try and post some pictures of the house when I can download them from my phone.

 

We have been staying with some dear friends since the fire. Tomorrow our Insurer is moving us into The Marriott Courtyard just down the road in Merced, We have begun looking for a rental house in the Merced/Atwater area but the market is very, very dry because of the new UC. We are going to have a hard time finding what we need. Dogs are with my sister-in-law for now, but that cannot last.

 

After further investigations by adjusters, etc we are likely to be displaced for close to a year. Possibly longer if they find that pop corn/cottage cheese ceiling coatings contain asbestos. The home was built in 1978 so that is 50-50 at this point. It was tested yesterday but we have not heard.

 

I will update as things unfold.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Taking punches but still standing!

 

Hope to be out of the Marriott that we have been in since the 9th. and into our rental house Sat. or Sun. Easing our way back into a limited sense of normalcy.

 

Being on this Knee Scooter in this Hotel has given me a pretty good case of cabin fever to say the least.

 

First of three bids has come in on the structural repairs at $202,000.00. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, jorjen said:

Being on this Knee Scooter in this Hotel has given me a pretty good case of cabin fever to say the least.

We could probably mod that thing to get a couple more miles an hour out of it.

 

Chin up and great news on getting out of the hotel.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Who is taking/examining the bids?  Make sure all are bidding on the same scope of work. Lot of variables in a fire damaged dwelling.  Is tear down/rebuild an option?

 

Does your rental have a place for the pups? 

 

And as Neil said.....hang in there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/25/2017 at 8:58 AM, CECAA850 said:

We could probably mod that thing to get a couple more miles an hour out of it.

 

Chin up and great news on getting out of the hotel.

I think we can overclock that knee scooter easily, and maybe get Warp Nine out of it. Keep your chin up, prayers and thoughts your way. First your knee, and then this happening. I wish you Godspeed in healing, and getting made whole again! Thinking of you! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/8/2017 at 5:55 AM, wvu80 said:

Thanks for letting us know what happened, thank goodness everyone got out OK.  A special treat should be in store for the life saving doggie.

+++

 

I haven't been a fan of fireworks since I was ten.  For some odd reason on the 4th my parents used to give me and my two brothers fireworks, a lighter and tell us to have fun.  My older brother used to have fun throwing firecrackers at his younger brothers.  We would hold Roman Candles and fire them at each other.

 

Since my older brother, the responsible one, the only one with the lighter, would not let the other kids use it so he lit a sparkler for me.  I stupidly used the sparkler to light my firecracker.  The only problem is you can't see when the fuse is lit because of the sparks.  I was able to throw the fire cracker away at the last second only inches from my hand and nearly blew my fingers off.  They were numb for several hours.

 

I haven't been a fan of fireworks ever since. 

Long ago in high school, there was a kid with most of one hand blown off because of fireworks.  The others called him "The Claw," but he was actually a very smart guy, and a good guy too.  Tragically, he was killed in a house fire before he graduated, when he was trapped in the basement, because he went down there to make sure nobody was there.

 

Another time, an entire family a few blocks from my grandparents were killed by a fire.  One person was smoking and fell asleep on the couch.  They "put the fire out," and went to sleep.  In the middle of the night, the couch reignited.  

 

So, yes, I'm having a fit too when I see the stupid neighbors' fireworks remnants in my front lawn and on the roof of my house.  They were actually shooting towards my neighbor's house, and surprisingly always away from their house.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/14/2017 at 11:15 AM, ksquared said:

Long ago in high school, there was a kid with most of one hand blown off because of fireworks.  The others called him "The Claw," but he was actually a very smart guy, and a good guy too.  Tragically, he was killed in a house fire before he graduated, when he was trapped in the basement, because he went down there to make sure nobody was there.

 

Another time, an entire family a few blocks from my grandparents were killed by a fire.  One person was smoking and fell asleep on the couch.  They "put the fire out," and went to sleep.  In the middle of the night, the couch reignited.  

 

So, yes, I'm having a fit too when I see the stupid neighbors' fireworks remnants in my front lawn and on the roof of my house.  They were actually shooting towards my neighbor's house, and surprisingly always away from their house.

 

Sorry it has been so long since I have updated. Between being displaced from our home and the ankle surgeries things have been hectic to say the least.

 

Received the fire incident report that the Captain on the scene wrote and the quote below states the cause/origin. How stupid can people/neighbors be? I would NEVER have let this happen!!! I am soooo effen pissed I can't see straight!!!

 

"OTHER/MISC: I INCLUDED other/misc. because the evidence, burn indicators, and location of the origin point to fireworks as the cause. Safe and sane fireworks improperly discarded into the trash bin after being soaked for an hour in water."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, jorjen said:

"OTHER/MISC: I INCLUDED other/misc. because the evidence, burn indicators, and location of the origin point to fireworks as the cause. Safe and sane fireworks improperly discarded into the trash bin after being soaked for an hour in water."

BS.  Fireworks aren't going to reignite after being in water for an hour.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

BS.  Fireworks aren't going to reignite after being in water for an hour.

:pwk_bs:   There fixed it fer ya. Yea Jordan I'm with Carl on this one, get clarification from the Fire Captain "they reignited after being soaked in water for an hour"? C'mon

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, babadono said:

:pwk_bs:   There fixed it fer ya. Yea Jordan I'm with Carl on this one, get clarification from the Fire Captain "they reignited after being soaked in water for an hour"? C'mon

It is suggested they be soaked overnight.

56 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

BS.  Fireworks aren't going to reignite after being in water for an hour.

The Captain was quoting the homeowner. The "improperly discarded" part is all that matters to me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jorjen said:

"OTHER/MISC: I INCLUDED other/misc. because the evidence, burn indicators, and location of the origin point to fireworks as the cause. Safe and sane fireworks improperly discarded into the trash bin after NOT being soaked for an hour in water."

There I fixed it for the Fire Captain.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fire causation cases were difficult to prove.  The best -- read most expensive -- expert would usually persuade the jury.  Hopefully, this will never be litigated. If you get embroiled in subrogation litigation, my offer stands.

 

Please keep us posted.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

We are tickled to death to say the least.

 

Due to the limited rental market in this area(it's been screwed up since UC Merced was completed)we have not only had to reside in a different house but a different town.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...