Lost our home to fireworks!!!! Updated...

jorjen

Glad to hear everyone's okay.  Be sure and make a written inventory of everything with their values... all the way down to spoons, bread and unused toilet paper.  Know your insurance policy when it comes to contents.  Does it cover "replacement" value?  Replacement value is not necessarily "used" value.  Nobody replaces underwear with used underwear.  Klipschorns, fine.  Undies, new.  

Good luck!

• Like 1

Jordan,

Oh my goodness! More prayers coming your way. I'm heartened that you and yours are Ok. The house can be rebuilt. There will be trials ahead living in a rental and getting your place rebuilt. Take care and God Bless you.

BTW --  Your dog woke you before the smoke alarms?

• Like 1

Thank god god for your dogs. You are alive and that is the part to focus on. A new journey begins for you and your family. This is going to take time to absorb and deal with You have friends there and friends here. Might not hurt if you and your wife went to see a counselor so you can find out what kind of things you will be dealing with from an emotional point of view. I can't even imagine having to deal with what you are going through it's such a huge loss with so many associated concerns fears and unknowns. Hang tough, you will get through this. Regards moray james.

• Like 1

As someone who just bought our first home about a month ago I was sick to my stomach l reading this. Best of luck getting everything put back together and repaired. I dont really have much advice to give other than to make sure you read every word of your Home Insurance policy for the upcoming negotiations etc. Is your insurance through a Broker or direct to carrier?

• Like 1

So sorry to hear about this. I can't imagine what you and your family are going through. So glad that everyone is ok though. Hopefully your insurance business will be handled in a timely and satisfactory manner. I can only assume that your neighbor's insurance policy will be doing the heavy lifting on reimburse, but your own homeowners insurance should also not have much room to skate as this was truly a no fault of your own incident. 

Best wishes. 

• Like 1

You are truly blessed to have escaped.  Stuff is just stuff, but there ARE certain irreplacable items of either rare or sentimental value that cannot be replaced.

Rally around your family (and dogs) and keep the faith.  You still have each other.

BUT....

I'm not sure how I'd handle the neighbor issue.  Just 3 days ago I was sitting on my deck, watching a wonderful fireworks display going on in our neighborhood, and I heard my neighbor was blowing off all kinds of "stuff" in our circle.  I went into the garage to get an adult beveridge out of the fridge and noticed a spent firework carcass in my garage.  My garage door was left open 1 foot at the bottom for cooling purposes as it was a hot July 4th.  So this rocket shaped projectile skidded under my door?  WTF?

I could not think of a calm method of asking my neighbor how this could have happened.  But I will.  My point is that we are all subject to what happens in our neighborhood and fireworks are really getting out of control. 

• Like 2

Terrible news, glad you and yours are all safe. Knee surgery is not all that much fun either. Fear not, keep a positive attitude, and I know you will. Sooner then you think your life will regain its balance.

Say wait a minute! 

Didn't I lend you those Khorn bass bins? Come to think of it, didn't I lend you an entire McIntosh system which  you were holding in the garage for me?

Better send me the name of that guys insurance company.:)

• Like 1

Laying there on the slab I was fully aware of everything going on around me. About 8 guys in the room all dressed in white, each dutifully doing their job. Two doctors stood over me speaking quietly amongst themselves. All of a sudden I feel my body lurch into the air while simultaneously hearing someone making a deep abdominal grunt, something akin to a grizzly bear huff. Then, there's nothing but blackness. I can actually still remember seeing total blackness. Then nothing. A fraction of a second? Longer? I don't know.

Later, much later, my wife said that while waiting she really grew concerned because it was taking so long. Finally the doctor came out and told her that I was fine, he wasn't going to let anything happen to me. During a follow-up visit weeks later I told him of my experience. He was reading his chart as I spoke. When I got to the part about hearing them converse I said I could hear them discussing Lamborghinis. That head snapped up from the chart and he denied that they were discussing Lambo's. I told him I was just making sure he was listening, giving him more details that I have mentioned here. He told me that my heart had stopped and that he had shocked me.

Then there was the time .....

It's a test Jordan. If you can, walk out in the back yard and, taking a wide stance, look upward and shout laughingly as loud as you can 'G**Da**it, is that all you've got. May I have another pleease sir''. During my trials and tribulations I always thought of leaving my wife alone, and her suffering. Not minimizing your loss, but things can be replaced. Lately I've been buying things I know my wife wants but never asks for. I'm trying to pay her back for all that she's done for me, which I can never do.

My friend went thru the same thing you are going thru a few years ago. It was a pain in his a$$ but he persevered. I am telepathically sending you a dose of my wealth of learned patience. I loved my experiences and treasure them. My wife and I are closer now more than ever. She asked for a new sofa. She got that and more.

Think of this as an opportunity. May God Bless y'all as he has me during your challenges in life.

Keith

• Like 1

Thanks for letting us know what happened, thank goodness everyone got out OK.  A special treat should be in store for the life saving doggie.

+++

I haven't been a fan of fireworks since I was ten.  For some odd reason on the 4th my parents used to give me and my two brothers fireworks, a lighter and tell us to have fun.  My older brother used to have fun throwing firecrackers at his younger brothers.  We would hold Roman Candles and fire them at each other.

Since my older brother, the responsible one, the only one with the lighter, would not let the other kids use it so he lit a sparkler for me.  I stupidly used the sparkler to light my firecracker.  The only problem is you can't see when the fuse is lit because of the sparks.  I was able to throw the fire cracker away at the last second only inches from my hand and nearly blew my fingers off.  They were numb for several hours.

I haven't been a fan of fireworks ever since. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, babadono said:

Jordan,

Oh my goodness! More prayers coming your way. I'm heartened that you and yours are Ok. The house can be rebuilt. There will be trials ahead living in a rental and getting your place rebuilt. Take care and God Bless you.

BTW --  Your dog woke you before the smoke alarms?

Our house had not quite started burning when she alerted us. No smoke yet to set them off.

15 hours ago, thebes said:

Terrible news, glad you and yours are all safe. Knee surgery is not all that much fun either. Fear not, keep a positive attitude, and I know you will. Sooner then you think your life will regain its balance.

Say wait a minute! 

Didn't I lend you those Khorn bass bins? Come to think of it, didn't I lend you an entire McIntosh system which  you were holding in the garage for me?

Better send me the name of that guys insurance company.:)

You are correct Marty, thanks for reminding me! ;) I actually have been holding a pair of VRD's for JoshNich for sometime.