Had a fire, need Khorn pricing help!

jorjen

Lost a set of 1970 Khorn Bass Bins to a house fire early Wednesday morning. I know the complete price for a pair is 12k but does anyone know or could you help me obtain the current cost of just the Bass Bins? I have limited internet access right now.

8 hours ago, jorjen said:

...does anyone know or could you help me obtain the current cost of just the Bass Bins?

It looks like the relative price of the bass bins with drivers is about 78% of the total price of the Khorn--based on a 1969 price list.  Admittedly, this is not very good, but it does represent something based on data and not guesses.  At today's prices, that would equate to about $4650 per bass bin, assuming the current price of a Khorn is $6K each on Amazon (price includes shipping if Amazon prime member).

My recommendation is that you contact a Klipsch dealer to see if there is a Khorn bass bin listed in a Klipsch extended price list for replacement parts/assemblies.  I would recommend Cory (MetropolisLakeOutfitters) if you don't already have a dealer in mind.

Chris

• Like 2

Klipsch is very accommodating.  I'm sure they would build you a pair of bass bins and match the finish as much as possible.  You should call them, 1-800-KLIPSCH. 

My condolences on your loss.  I hope you are not homeless and clothes-less. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, John Albright said:

Klipsch is very accommodating.  I'm sure they would build you a pair of bass bins and match the finish as much as possible.  You should call them, 1-800-KLIPSCH. 

My condolences on your loss.  I hope you are not homeless and clothes-less. 

Thanks John.

7 hours ago, Chris A said:

My recommendation is that you contact a Klipsch dealer to see if there is a Khorn bass bin listed in a Klipsch extended price list for replacement parts/assemblies.  I would recommend Cory (MetropolisLakeOutfitters) if you don't already have a dealer in mind.

They are not priced like that on the retail sheets, there is only one serial number for the whole unit, it's not priced separately.  It may be possible to request a custom order and save a few bucks but I'm not sure.  

The units that were lost, were they complete before the fire?  If so I would think that the insurance ought to pay for the whole unit in the same way that they will replace your whole roof if only part of it was damaged but the shingles cannot be matched anymore.  I'd be using that argument if that is the case even if technically you only lost the bass bin(s).  

• Like 3

Were the top hats damaged at all?  I'd wonder about heat or smoke damage (grime deposits) to the inner parts of drivers, or even crossovers.  If the fire was close enough to damage the bass bins ......

IMO, the insurance should buy you whole new ones, if it is true replacement insurance.  

Good luck.  Please let us know how it comes out.

In those days Klipsch used to match all of the components together but not sure how they accomplished that other than crossover tweeks. It might be better to get complete units and stipulate to the insurance company that all of the components were matched at the factory and that you do not have the ability to accomplish the matching.

JJK