Cabinet Maintenance

cgolf70

I've just acquired a pair of Quartets and a pair of Fortes and have been reading about cabinet cleaning, maintenance, etc.  These don't need to be refinished but I just want to clean them up and take care of them.  Is it OK to use Old English lemon oil on them to preserve them or is there a better product?

17 minutes ago, cgolf70 said:

I've just acquired a pair of Quartets and a pair of Fortes and have been reading about cabinet cleaning, maintenance, etc.  These don't need to be refinished but I just want to clean them up and take care of them.  Is it OK to use Old English lemon oil on them to preserve them or is there a better product?

Most use Watco rejuvenating oil ....I'm not saying Old English lemon oil won't work ....never tried it

George

If they are an oil finish then the lemon oil is a great temporary treatment for them.  You will likely find that they are looking dry within a few months though.  I applied Watco danish oil (natural) to my Heritage and once a year I reapply lemon oil to keep them from looking dry.  It depends on your environment.  

The lacquer is sometimes specified on the tag with an "L" whereas my oiled Heritage show as WO for Walnut Oiled.

Here is some reference for you: 

@cgolf70 I must admit I also am no expert on discerning wood finish types. Are there any labels/stickers still intact on the speakers? Sometimes they will clue you into what the finish is like muel alluded to. Basically oil finish can be completely re oiled or just touched up /maintained with lemon oil like muel said. Lacquer should only need to be dusted but furniture polish will not hurt it.

That looks like oak finish. On oak, I like to use Howard's restore a finish-oak. Rub it on with a rag, maybe use some #0000 steel wool tho remove light scratches, and wipe it off with a dry rag. Then use Howard's feed and wax to protect the finish when your done.

Does the restore a finish oak have any colorants in it?  If so I like to use natural color oils instead, not specific to a species, or just baby them once every couple of months with lemon oil.  Lemon oil gives you the instant AH when wiped on that makes you happy to own them... You have to dust them anyway so why not?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, dtr20 said:

It does have color to it, but if the cabinets are very faded, IMO, after using this, they'll look almost new

You are saying in the picture, the cabinet if faded or have you seen the speakers first hand?

The picture looks very good to me so perhaps either your or my contrast is off :D

As with any pigmented oil, the more you use it the deeper the color.  Personally I would start with the lemon oil or something similar just to see how much color will come back just by not having dry wood.  Most people are surprised at just that simple touch.

I said IF the cabinets are very faded that this is a very good solution. It was a general statement to help people in general. Some people recommended Watco rejuvenating oil, I was recommending Howard's Oak over Watco for an oak application. I use Watco on walnut applications.