New Heresy III's

MrBell

My new Heresy III's in East Indian Rosewood arrived today, part of a system for my office.  This is my first pair of horn loaded speakers... my assumption is they need some decent run-in time. I've got them running-in all night tonight.  So far I prefer them bi-wired with basic 12 gauge wire.  I've got a pair of Canari speaker cables on order and will install next week.  Amp is a Yamaha 501SL and MacBook Pro as a streaming source.  

Any set-up advice is welcome.  

R0000477.jpg

R0000486.jpg

R0000489.jpg

Edited by MrBell
  • Like 10

Beautiful!  IMHO, more important than bi-wiring and speaker cables, is your source.  I would think the Yamaha built-in DAC is a step up from the one inside your MacBook Pro, so be sure to use a digital (toslink optical) wire from your MBP to the Yamaha.  Or plug in a Dragonfly USB DAC to your MBP and then analog RCA cables to the Yamaha.  Invest your money here rather than on cables.

• Like 1

Very nice.  Classic Heresy look with that old Yamaha look, brings you back to the 70's.  The Yamaha is very reminiscent of a Yamaha CA-800 from 1975 I owned for years.  Back then the Yamaha was a tank and commanded the same cash as what the 501SL does now, 40 yrs later.

4 hours ago, ricktate said:

Is it just the pic or is the right speaker grill cloth loose?   I still don't think Bi-wiring from just one amp does anything. 

But I do LOVE your set up sweeeeeeet.

Hi Rick, well I've read it could do this or accomplish that and I think that's where the opinions and debate are.

I know my 80 watts/ch amp will be 60w/ch using A & B. So I'll have 60 watts going to each woofer and 60 to each higher frequency by however the crossover is set up. 240 > 160

@MrBell Those H IIIs are beauties, the office does look sparsely decorated (like an office). Curtains would be the easiest way to improve the sound quality in there. Real ones not the see-through stuff. Other than that  upholstered furniture could help if not in the sound path. My experience with my Yamaha Natural Sound and Heresy IIs was some recordings sounded too bright, I dropped the high and left the mid and bass at flat or just dialed up the variable loudness a little. I like the sound keeping it as close to flat an I can with it.

When possible, I recommend starting your placement where PWK would start. Full in the corners at a 45 degree angle. They don't mind being wider apart than typical.  I can't put mine in the corners, but they are against the wall, 12 feet apart and I vacillate between 45 degree toe in and toed in directly to the sweet spot. Pull out straight from corner to adjust the bass to taste. Adjust toe in to taste. Placement will do far more to change the sound than biwiring, cables etc. IMO. Congratulations and good luck. 

• Like 2

Thanks for all the great suggestions.  12 hours of continuous run-in helped open up the speakers.  Frustrated with the sound of the Yamaha I replaced it with a Naim UnitiQute2 and Naim Naca5 speaker cable.  This provided a BIG jump in performance.  The bass was still tubby and one-note,  I replaced the factory flat metal jumpers with 2 inches of multi-strand 12 gauge speaker wire. This improved the bass and made it much more tuneful.  Finally at the advice of the Forum, I spread the speaker out towards the corners and toed them in 45 degrees.  Now I think I am hearing what PWK had in mind.  My office space is small (11x14), I place a couple of Vicoustic bass traps in the back corner.  No doubt the room will need a few more treatments to get things right.  

Next step will be to get a proper digital cable to feed the Naim UnitiQute.  

R0000491.jpg

Edited by MrBell
  • Like 3

On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 2:55 AM, pbphoto said:

Beautiful!  IMHO, more important than bi-wiring and speaker cables, is your source.  I would think the Yamaha built-in DAC is a step up from the one inside your MacBook Pro, so be sure to use a digital (toslink optical) wire from your MBP to the Yamaha.  Or plug in a Dragonfly USB DAC to your MBP and then analog RCA cables to the Yamaha.  Invest your money here rather than on cables.

I second the suggestion to use an Audioquest Dragonfly DAC.  The less expensive Dragonfly Black uses the same ESS SABRE 9006 DAC as is used in the Yamaha RX-A2070 AVR, and the pricier Dragonfly Red uses the same ESS SABRE32 9016 DAC as is used in the top-of-the-line Yamaha RX-A3070.  They plug into your source's USB port and bypass the source's (usually low-end) DAC to produce much better sound.  I use the Dragonflys when listening to music from my smartphone or iPad, and the improvement over what came out of the headphone jack is like day and night.  There's a greater sense of hearing the performance space, and you can hear improvements in detail retrieval.  Bass response is also stronger and more realistic.

Here's some info about them.  Due to high demand, they were unavailable for a few months, but now seem to be in stock.

http://www.audioquest.com/dragonfly-series/

If you're using either Dragonfly with an Android device, it's highly recommended that you get the USB Audio Player Pro app, which is available on the Google Play Store for $7.99 USD or about $11 CAD.  It adds an equalizer and does various things that improve the sound noticeably.

More info here:  https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.extreamsd.usbaudioplayerpro&hl=en

Do they seriously leave those 4 corner bulges on the grills and ship them out like that? For the money those and the F3's cost, I'd want the "no 4 corner nipple option" on mine spending that kind of money. Just saying.... Beautiful speakers, though. 

Personal preferences are valid.  There are reasons to favor Forte 3 over Heresy 3, or vice versa.

For years I knew nothing of anything Klipsch built after 1980.  If it wasn't plywood with a tweeter from 600 Cecil St., Buchanan, MI, I had no interest.  After being exposed to more recent Klipsch offerings, I have broadened my perspective.  Most of my music listening is now through Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 while toiling at the computer.

MrBell, I have the Yamaha a-S501. What is it more specifically you're missing by comparison with the other amp you decided on instead? I've worked with the base and treble settings and it makes a notcable difference in sound performance with the Heresy. Also, did you try biwiring and non biwiring to specify any difference? From what I've read most comments suggest there isn't a noticeable difference worth bothering with it. You also mentioned the jumpers and it surprises me that could noticeably alter the base. I suppose I have a lot more to learn. Btw nice looking system you have. 

Update: 

I've made a few changes since my last post.  The biggest change has come from running-in the speakers.  With 50-60 hours of use much of what I did not like has gone away.  The mids have opened up nicely and treble is smooth too.  I am now using a 8' pair of Canare speaker cable and I am enjoying the sound the Herey's are making.  Also, I am using a AudioQuest Carbon toslink cable between the Macbook Pro and Naim Unitiqute.  I listen mostly to Tidal which sounds pretty good.  

#Idontknow: I did spend more time with the Yamaha 501.  Using the build-in DAC it sounded much better. I prefered the sound of "direct" which bypasses the tone controls.  Have not tried bi-wire.  It's a great amp for the money...  the Naim is just in another class.  

R0000553.jpg

• Like 1