(BOUGHT!) Want To Buy K-600 metal horn(s)

davemac

07/08/2017

Hi folks. I know I'm pretty much in dreamland here but I need to buy at least (1) K-600 midrange horn for a Cornwall upgrade project (with or without the K-55 driver.) I recently lucked into (1) on Ebay and need the mate. (No, I'm not gonna breed Cornwall horns.)

Actually I'd like a total of (3) K-600 and will have 2 or 4 plastic K-601 with K-57 bolt-on drivers to trade or sell.

I plan to eventually get 4 of the A-55 midrange drivers from Bob Crites but they can't be installed on the newer K-601 plastic horns, only the metal 600.

Please help keep this poor, decrepit, retired soul off a barstool and parked instead in front of his beloved Cornwalls.

Bless you!

davemac

Edited by davemac
Change Title WTB to BOUGHT

Hi mungkiman,

Yeah, so was I. The metal K-600 horn has a threaded mouth to accept the screw-on K-55 driver (and the new A-55 from Crites.) The newer plastic/resin K-601 horns in the mid '80s and up Cornwalls are not threaded and the drivers are attached to a rear flange with 4 screws. I've already got Crites' tweeters and I wanted to try the A-55 midrange drivers which are supposed to be really smooth and "better" sounding but learned they won't fit on my '84 and '85 Corn-horns. And apparently there isn't an adapter available so I have to switch out the horns for K-600s. It's turning out to be like finding a Democrat that voted for Trump. There's probably a few out there but good luck. Now I hurry up and wait.

Dave

I'm pretty sure I have horns and drivers on an older pair of cornwalls that I'm only using for the woofer right now.  PM me - I'll need to double check tonight to make sure that I have what you're looking for.

3 hours ago, Mighty Favog said:

You could make them Corncalas

Greetings Mighty Favog,

Thanks for the suggestion. I thought about the CornScala thing but with 4 speakers to do and despite the good things I've heard that's pretty much a commitment you can't turn back from. I think the money would be a little rich, too. I'm handy enough with a router so it's something I'll keep in the back of my mind.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/11/2017 at 7:01 PM, Mighty Favog said:

You could make them Corncalas with Dave Harris' Fast Track horns, but that would necessitate the cutting of the motorboards with a router. Very worth the effort and can be installed and ready to go in one day/night. AND nothing has to be changed on the crossover.

IMG_20170625_152358.jpg

I'm considering the Fastrack mod myself.  The only thing stopping me is I I'd like to go up to a 2" driver.  How much of an improvement is the new horn with the stock driver?  What is a fair price for my existing metal horns?

Godataloss - I'm really not able to put a price range on K-600's on the open market.

The mid-driver I'm using is the same as the Klipsch K-55 but is an Atlas PD5VH. The coil is 2" but the exit is 1 3/8". When Dave made the horns I also bought the thread-on adaptors for the Atlas/K55's. So, maybe he has

As far as "how much improvement" was there? Well, that's very hard, if not impossible to quantify. But, to me, the K601 horns that were in there were very "beamy". Meaning they seemed to have a very narrow and directed output to one area of the room. That happened to be where my sweet spot chair sits. So, one could say, the Fastrack horn spread out to a wider soundstage and sounded soooo much more natural.

I had a friend over who's not really into this hobby but wishes he could be. He was the one I recruited to drive with me from Cincinnati to Chicago to get these C-WO's and bring them in the house but not having a chance to hear them. That's when I went to work with the conversion. He came back over after they were done and I put in a Norah Jones CD. Granted there was a much larger soundstage and no more narrow directivity. But just as important was to play at the right volume. A volume that does not sound amplified or constrained. Just as if she was RIGHT THERE.

But jut remember, like with most of this gear, any bad or substandard recordings will sound even more so. 

• Like 2

On 8/4/2017 at 8:40 AM, Godataloss said:

I'm considering the Fastrack mod myself.  The only thing stopping me is I I'd like to go up to a 2" driver.  How much of an improvement is the new horn with the stock driver?  What is a fair price for my existing metal horns?

Hey Godataloss,

K-600s are very rare on Ebay. I recently nabbed a newly listed pair (I think literally within minutes of the listing!) because I didn't want to lose them. I paid $100 each plus $20 each shipping (with K55 drivers.) $240 for the pair. Not sure how realistic that is for future listings (except maybe yours?)

I'm still looking for (1) more K-600. You interested?

Dave

Edited by davemac
quantity

My inclination at this point is to go with the Eliptrack and put the damn things on top of the Cornwall cab with the long term goal of finding K-horns and using them there.  If I were to do this, I'd be inclined to keep the original horns for when I resell the Cornwalls.   I do not know of anyone that has mounted that horn/driver within a stock Cornwall cabinet.  If I were to just do the Fastrack mod, I'd sell them outright.  As-is I think they sound pretty good.  My cousin has k-horns with all the Volti goodies and it's making me lust after the larger mid horn.

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

Good juju sent your way.

58 minutes ago, Godataloss said:

If I were to do this, I'd be inclined to keep the original horns for when I resell the Cornwalls.

Hmmm. Looks Like I might need some gooder juju.