KMC 3 Power Input Req while under AC power?

What is the incoming power requirements of the KMC 3 while operating on AC power?  

I believe the specs say it can output up to 130 watts, but, I don't see in any specs on what it takes from the AC to get it there!

I am looking for something that packs a punch I can take along with me in my semi truck...I could buy rechargeable batteries for the KMC 3, but, then the power output is cut in half under battery power and, I'd rather not have all the extra expense of buying rechargeable batteries.

I considered going with the KMC 1, but, I am worried it doesn't pack enough of a "punch" to hear in the loud environment that is a semi dump truck, especially when going down the road with the windows open.  As well, I wonder about battery life at the volume levels I'd typically be listening at.

The in-dash stereo system of the truck is completely under-powered and inadequate to hear over all the racket of my job...it is also nearly impossible to operate its buttons while driving.  I like to listen to podcasts and music, it helps make the day go by and keeps me in a good mood versus the chaos that is traffic in Chicago, where I live.

I'd have to spend several hundred dollars to replace the sound system in the truck between new head unit and speakers.  To me, that is a waste of money for something I can only enjoy while I am working.  

Ideally, remote control operation is included...bouncing down the road, it is difficult to run the controls on the dash while driving...first off, it distracts your attention from the road to find the right button....I am in an air-ride seat, the truck is going down while I am going up...and vica-versa....hence, a simple remote is essential. 

Ideally, I operate the sound system from my cell phone.  That way, an incoming call turns off the sound while on the phone...and then back on after, automatically.

I'd rather have something portable I can use elsewhere while I am not driving.

In this day of iPod's and "Bluetooth everything", I thought, why not bring my Bose Mini Link with me in the truck?  It works, is acceptable for music, with the windows up, but, practically have to have it next to my ear to listen to podcasts, and when the windows are down, forget it.  Plus, I'd like to have something with a remote control I can change volume with versus my phone...my Bose doesn't have that.

I considered the KMC 1, I like the fact it comes with it's own rechargeable battery.

However, if the KMC 3 power input isn't that great, I am hoping I can buy a 12v Power Inverter and run the KMC 3 off AC instead of battery.  I believe the highest rated 12v PI offers about 180 watts of "constant" power...400 watts peak.  Otherwise, I'd have to install a direct-wired (to the battery) inverter, that is more money and labor to install.  I am no longer "Over the Road", so, no need to really operate anything else on AC...back in the day, I had a big inverter, ran my coffee pot, microwave, fridge, fans, you name it.

Please help!  My wife is looking for a present for my birthday which is coming up soon.

Thanks!

Mike the Trucker...keeping roads safely maintained!

• 4 weeks later...

Just as a follow up to this string....

I have my KMC 3 speaker, and I must say, it is WAY powerful, loud, strong bass and sounds very clear!!!  I am using it successfully in my semi, after some trails and tribulations.

It's a very nice looking speaker, I must say, larger than what I anticipated, I was hoping I could put it on my dash, which, it will fit on, however, it blocks too much view in my sight lines, therefore, I have it strapped to the passenger seat facing me, which gives it a natural angle towards my ear.  The other benefit is the seat cushions vibration, which I would imagine will increase the lifetime of use. 

I purchased two different power inverters to try... a "cigarette only" 180 Watt adapter and a 400 Watt that can go into either the cigarette lighter socket or direct to the battery.

The smaller unit couldn't handle higher volume levels, and would cut out...I quickly switched to the 400 Watt inverter.  Due to the noise level inside my truck, especially with windows down, to hear spoken word podcasts, at times, I need the volume level up to near max.  The cigarette side of the 400 Watt inverter couldn't handle much more than about 70-80% volume levels...it would start "squaking" and, at times would reboot...no good!  There is a nice meter on the 400 Watt inverter to tell you what % of output the power outlet is using...a nice feature.  I ended up going direct to battery with the inverter, which wasn't as hard to do as I imagined, the fuse box in my truck is on the top of the dash and there were connections I could make there.  Since doing so, I can go to full volume levels on the speaker and not have an issue with the inverter.  I never listen at full volume, but, its nice to know it can handle it!  As might be expected, the bass distorts a little bit at full volume, so, I can't imagine anyone wanting to listen at that level.

It's taken a bit to get used to the Bluetooth connection...its a little tricky since I also use a Bluetooth headset...I had to customize the settings so that the headset handled all phone calls and the speaker handles audio.  I like it...I can load my phone up with podcasts, music or stream.  When a phone call comes in, it automatically pauses the program, and then restarts when I hang up.  So simple.

The KMC 3 remote is handy, one of the features I really wanted to have.  Its a nice size, fits easily in my hand while I drive or in my shirt pocket...its convenient to change volume without having to even look or touch the speaker...my hands never leave the wheel.  The "on/off" switch works most times from the remote, as does the "pause/play" on the remote, which is actually pausing the program on the phone through the speaker...however, if I don't hit the "play" (basically hit the pause button again) almost immediately, it seems to lose the connection to the phone, and, the only way to restart the program is by touching the play button on the phone...not a huge inconvenience, but, it would be nice if this feature was more solid.  I notice too, to get a program to "pause", I have to hit the button twice.  Perhaps that is how it is designed, I'm not sure, but, it is a bit tricky.

Overall, I am VERY satisfied with this speaker, other than the size, which I find to be a bit on the bulky side, however, considering the high output, I can live with it.

The features, sound and volume in the price range of the KMC 3 makes it a real bargain!!!  I was able to find this speaker on Amazon, brand new, $150 including shipping.  I did a lot of research, and, sub-$200, its very hard to find a speaker that is more powerful or sounds better.  

It's probably not proper etiquette to mention competitors products, however, I must say, I was a Bose advocate before.  I have a sound link mini, which, sound wise, is very rich and deep.  At certain volume levels, the Bose beats the KMC 3...the portability of the Bose of course is a hands-down winner, as is the rechargeable battery.  Both speakers are about the same vintage of technology.  However, more recently, Bose has come out with the Soundlink 10 which blows the Soundlink Mini away, and gives Klipsch a run for the money!  The Soundlink 10 I saw retailed for $199.  Its a few more $ than the KMC 3, however, I got a chance to listen and play with one at a retail store...its incredible the amount of sound that comes from it, the form factor is much smaller, and, it comes with a rechargeable battery!  I don't recall if it has a remote, but, I don't think it did...for me, a draw-back.  I'd love to see Klipsch work on a speaker that is a bit smaller, as powerful, with the remote feature, that comes with and gives a choice of powering from a built-in rechargeable battery or AC, as does the Bose Soundlink 10.  Or, offer a replaceable, rechargeable battery for the KMC 3???  Of course, this would add to the price...and likely take the price over $200.  

On a side note, I am from Chicago...it's nice to know there is a sound technology company like Klipsch so near by in Indy!  Keep up the good work from the Hoosier State! 

Edited by Mike the Trucker
reviewed and updated for better readability

• 2 weeks later...