Question on modding a SS Receiver

tigerwoodKhorns

I have a Denon DRA 95-VR receiver that I bought new in 1989.  It is 85 wpc and I want to keep it because it is the first audio gear that I ever bought. 

I read the old thread on Mark D.s mods to the Crown 45 (The Duke) and he replaced the power supply caps, the caps in the audio signal path, and op amps.  He also changed the input impedance and made the amp set for 2.5v input to full volume (I think).

Here is a picture from online of the inside of the DRA 95 VR.

The power supply caps look easy enough to get to.  I should just use the biggest that I can find that will fit, correct?  What brand?

Not sue which caps are in the audio path but that should not be that hard to figure out.  Here same size as original should be used.  What brand?

Now the tough part.  I need to find the op amps.  What do I look for, how to I find out what socket is used and what can or should I change them to? 

If the parts are not that expensive I would like to do this.  Any help is appreciated. 

Denon 59vr inside.jpg

I think those late 80's/90's Denon stereo receivers and integrated amps are well worth a little updating.  I owned 3 different Denon intergrated amps, one preamp, one stereo amp, one tuner, and 2 CD players and they all were of stellar quality, reliability, and sounded awesome.  

I wish I had the know how to help you get your Denon up to specs.  Good luck.

Bill

No kidding?

I have owned this for 30 years.  Some caps and op amps are pretty cheap.  I also have a Denon CD 1400 that I bought at the same time.  I spent the extra money because it had a digital output.  I didn't know that it would be 30 years later that it came in handy.  I am using it as a transport in another system.  Just bought new belts for it. 

Nostalgia here for me. 

• Like 1

Tiger,

I went through 2 DBX 4bx dynamic range expanders and basically rebuilt them in the not too distant past. You need a SCHEMATIC (and service manual if available) if you are serious about anything other than changing out the big electrolytics in the power supply section. Electrolytics in the signal path should be replaced with Bi Polar types IMO bypassed by a small mylar or film type.

http://www.mouser.com/new/nichicon/Nichicon-Audio-Caps/

The ES are the Bi Polar type These are fine Bi Polars as well:

http://www.mouser.com/Panasonic/Passive-Components/Capacitors/Aluminum-Electrolytic-Capacitors/Aluminum-Electrolytic-Capacitors-Leaded/_/N-75hqw?P=1yzvjj0Z1z0yoh9

When you get to changing Op amps out the stability of the circuit can become an issue and one needs to be careful and diligent. Do you have an oscilloscope? Or access to one?

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I finally got around to changing the belts in my old CD player and popping the hood on the receiver. 

There are 4 caps, 6800 uf each.  They measure 30 mm diameter and are 60 mm tall.  There is room to go 80 or 85 mm tall if needed. 

I found a service manual for the DRA 75vr which was one model down from this one. 

http://manualmachine.com/denon/dra-75vr/198704-service-manual/