JBCODD

Had to DVR the Home Run Derby, due to earlier commitment. Watching it now....en espanol. FF past the preliminary moooooing, straight to the action. After 5 min I realize that these guys are way better than the ESPN English speaking talent. I understand very little of the dialogue but these guys are exciting. And some of the baseball terms translate well: upper deck, alto profundo (moon shot) and "no no no no noooooo" And the Judge hits the roof!

First round synopsis: Bellinger has a sweet left handed swing. He and the two Yankees showed deliberate power to all fields, before going pull happy. The difference is that Judge has enormous power. Pitches he pulled off on went into the second deck, opposite field. 

Everyone else was just pull happy. Bour has a very violent swing and can hit it a mile, but he is a one trick pony. And Stanton had an off night and bad draw.

Second round: Sanchez is tired: the warning track is getting a workout.

Sano is giving the sculpture a workout. Won and stopped. Save it for the finals.

Bellinger has his dad pitching to him. Swing is still sweet, but he looks tired too. Swing is .005 sec out of phase relative to the first round, causing a noticeable deleterious effect on the timbre of the ball when it was struck. This distortion led to a corruption of the expected upper decker sine wave, previously seen, and left us with a warning track reproduction.  New caps prolly woulda helped. 12 dingers. 

Here comes the Judge: two over 500 feet. With a seeming effortless swing. Overhead like a Krell. This kid could go places.

Final Round of the "Festival de Cuadrangles"

The Chevy Equinox ads with " Personas reales. No actores". Same script, different actores.

Sano: Ominous lightning in background of first homer. Took a full minute to get that. Rail power is fluctuating. Unless Judge falls off the bench it will be a walk off. Ernesto Jerez and Eduardo Perez keep it interesting. Bonus Time! 10 total.

Judge: (Taco Bell commercials are hideous in any language I have so far heard. I wonder if French would be amusing) four in a row over 450. And these are the first five swings. Profundo! He wins in less than 20 swings. Didn't seem tired at all. Many people, dozens even, are wearing black smocks and wigs. Joe Torre presents the award. The interview has the English talent on screen with Judge, Spanish is dubbed. "Me llamo Aaron Judge" as Judge talks for 30 sec. Like "What's Up Tiger Lilly". Unintentional humor index was rocked.

Judge put on quite the show.

As a National League fan I have not seen a lot of his play.

I wonder how many he would have hit if he didn't just eliminate the competition in  2 of the rounds with time left on the clock,

Having a pitcher who can repeatably but the ball where the batter wants it is a big deal.

Fun to watch these guys get in a rhythm.

It is interesting how tiring this event can be and is very evident on most of the participants.

If the ball hits the roof in an apparent home run it should count and almost hurt Judge in an earlier round.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

There shouldn't be a roof.  What a hideous concept.

I agree, it is quite a sight to see a ball go completely out of a stadium.

Which then creates the temptation to try and hit it completely out even though the line drive home run takes less time and is more productive to the competition.

How was partipants selected for this event?

Sanchez has only 13 homeruns this season. That is not even close to worthy.

Home Run Derby participants

American League

Miguel Sano — Minnesota Twins, 21 HRs

Aaron Judge — New York Yankees, 30 HRs

Gary Sanchez — New York Yankees,13 HRs

Mike Moustakas — Kansas City Royals, 25 HRs

National League

Giancarlo Stanton — Miami Marlins, 26 HRs

Cody Bellinger — Los Angeles Dodgers, 25 HRs

Justin Bour — Miami Marlins, 20 HRs

Charlie Blackmon — Colorado Rockies, 21 HRs

2 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Swimming, track and field, diving, ice skating, gymnastics, etc.  All boring to watch the men's sports but I'll certainly watch the women.

Are you watching the sports or other stuff?

JJK