Which center speaker with RP280F fronts

Sinisa

Hi,

I started to build my HT and music centre by purchasing two RP280F as fronts and an R115SW 15" sub. The amp is Denon X4200W (7.1, 125wpc). Needles to say that the speakers provide superb and crystal clear sound and that is especially noticeable with high notes and the deep bass. Stereo music plays perfectly on this configuration.

I do not have a centre speaker and I have noticed that the dialogue in movies is somewhat harder to hear than with my old budget Panasonic 5.1 "Home Theater in a box" which provided pretty decent sound. It had a cheap centre speaker, but it obviously served its purpose as I could understand the dialogue better than with my new speakers.  

Since I drained my bank account when I purchased above mentioned goodies, I would like to get an advice if I could get away with RP250C centre speaker or I should go all the way and buy RP450C to match my RP280F fronts?

I listen the movie tracks pretty loudly, but that is because I like movie music and special effects. The voice is important to me, but it does not have to stand out compared to the sound effects.

I assume that a centre speaker is normally not used when playing music from CDs or online live feed like Google play or Deezer unless I play it in virtual surround mode. Right?

Thanks in advance,

Sinisa

Edited by Sinisa

I don't have the latest reference premier speakers, but the RC-62 II is the matching speaker for the RF-82 II, the RP-250 seems like it would be a bit small. I would go with a larger one. 

Ill offer a different prospective, these speakers can easily last you 10+ years, so buy the one you would like to listen to for a long time.

• Like 1

For movies I believe the largest timber matching center you can afford is where Id put my money! Even if you have to wait and save before the purchase. True, you will need to love the center because Klipsch speakers do tend to last a very long time. A very good thing. I do own a RC-62 II and it is an exceptional value. Food for thought, the center channel of any HT system is the most important speaker of the system, if you can't understand the dialog youll miss the movie.

Just my wo cents, YMMV 

• Like 1

Center is the number one most important speaker following with sub close second. You wet big on the sub which was the correct thing to do. Get the 450c. If you have to save up for a bit then do so. You'll be fine without for a little while. You'll regret getting a 250 and end up with the 450 anyways then you'll lose money selling the 250 at a loss. Trust some of us that have had countless theaters. Upgrading is more expensive than just doing it right the first time. Welcome to the forum! 

• Like 2

Definitely go for the RP-450C. Don't look back.  I've heard some of Klipsch 4" speakers that are in the RP-440C. They sound "tinny" to me. I've had the RP-250 and the 450 has a "fuller" sound with the 4 speaker array.  PM @MetropolisLakeOutfitters and ask him for a price and what he thinks.  He's a distributor with a great knowledge of Klipsch products. He's a member here.  I highly recommend him.

• Like 1

I have the RP-280s up front and I'm using a RC-62ii as a center.  Only because I got a great deal locally.  It sounds great and works fine with 280s.  HOWEVER, as has been mentioned, I am constantly thinking and wondering what I am missing by not having the 440 or 450.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cgolf70 said:

I have the RP-280s up front and I'm using a RC-62ii as a center.  Only because I got a great deal locally.  It sounds great and works fine with 280s.  HOWEVER, as has been mentioned, I am constantly thinking and wondering what I am missing by not having the 440 or 450.

Thats why I need to have a fire sale of all the things I've bought over the years and still have. If you're happy with what you have, try not to wonder what you're missing. The issue is where I am, there is no place near to audition things I wonder about what I'm missing. Most everything I've bought has been better, but it's incrementally better after I bought my first Klipsch. Seems like i get something in my mind, find a good price and buy. I wish I would have bought the best first. In my case it all started with some RB-51 II's. They were so much better than anything I had ever heard.

Try to avoid going down the rabbit hole.  But it is fun! I had the RP-280's. Sold those for Heresy's. Now I've bought some Forte III's....  this is it......I'm done (I hope)..... what's the over/under on that?

Your RC-62II will be fine ( I have one of those too....arrrgggg)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RTR said:

Thats why I need to have a fire sale of all the things I've bought over the years and still have. If you're happy with what you have, try not to wonder what you're missing. The issue is where I am, there is no place near to audition things I wonder about what I'm missing. Most everything I've bought has been better, but it's incrementally better after I bought my first Klipsch. Seems like i get something in my mind, find a good price and buy. I wish I would have bought the best first. In my case it all started with some RB-51 II's. They were so much better than anything I had ever heard.

Try to avoid going down the rabbit hole.  But it is fun! I had the RP-280's. Sold those for Heresy's. Now I've bought some Forte III's....  this is it......I'm done (I hope)..... what's the over/under on that?

Your RC-62II will be fine ( I have one of those too....arrrgggg)

54 minutes ago, cgolf70 said:

Done??!!  haha...  After I bought the 280s, I found a pair of Quartets which I bought and then by accident!!??  I found a pair of Fortes which I also bought.  Done??!! haha

I told a friend I need an intervention.  Sounds like you do too:o

1 hour ago, cgolf70 said:

Done??!!  haha...  After I bought the 280s, I found a pair of Quartets which I bought and then by accident!!??  I found a pair of Fortes which I also bought.  Done??!! haha

Let me know how you like the RP-450C. It's great and my 65" tv fits on it great. That's my excuse :rolleyes:

IMG_0016.JPG

19 hours ago, thisgsx said:

Just my opinion, but even the 450C doesn't match the 280s. The 450c still sounds "tinny" and "small." If I had to do it again I'd step it up to a rc7 or rc64ii.

I actually stacked a 450 on top of an RC-64ii and at low volumes it was actually pretty hard to tell the difference.  Where you could tell the difference was high volume glass breaking and cymbal crashes, the compression driver in the RC-64ii really stood out and sounded significantly different.  Bass wasn't nearly as noticeably different.  

On 7/12/2017 at 8:40 AM, cgolf70 said:

The RC-62ii is actually a good center that has a lot of fans.  The reference premier centers will be a little more laid back on the top end similar to your towers, which is the whole point. Bass will be better but the timbre with the tweeter will stand out more.