Which center speaker with RP280F fronts

Sinisa

On 7/13/2017 at 9:08 PM, TomR said:

If you want to wait so you can save up , why dont you use the center speaker you have in the mean time 

I have a very small old centre speaker and when I paired it with RP280Fs, it just shrieked and ruined the overall sound quality.

On 7/13/2017 at 2:52 PM, thisgsx said:

Wow, even the rc64ii... Then the only option is to run another rp280 for center duty. Then again, who has the room and it wouldn't be aesthetically pleasing.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Matching LCR works great with a screen.

Well, I found RP450C at a local Gibby's store in Ontario at a pretty deep discount and bought it. It works very well with RP280F fronts. I run Audyssey to set the volumes. RP450C was a bit too loud after the setup It was louder than the fronts, so I used  test tones on my Denon X4200W to manually adjust the volumes. I lowered the volume of RP450C by 3dB and then the surround sound was perfect for my taste. RP450C interpreted the speech and centre action much better than I expected. Yesterday I watched some scenes from Die Hard and I could hear a hum when the microphone was moving to track the actors. Unbelievable. I did not know that a good centre speaker makes such difference even when the fronts are of great quality.  I am now experimenting with the crossover. 60Hz for centre and fronts sounds the best to me. I temporarily arranged the equipment in a small 10x11ft room while I am renovating my basement. I am sure that the sound will be even better when I have larger room.

Thank you all for your advice. :)

Cheers,

Sinisa

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Acquired a 450C last week to replace the RC-62 II center.  Both are great.  However, the difference between them is more than minor.  The 450C is certainly worth the extra $$!!  If anyone is in need of 62 II, I now have a perfect cherry one available.

30 minutes ago, cgolf70 said:

Acquired a 450C last week to replace the RC-62 II center.  Both are great.  However, the difference between them is more than minor.  The 450C is certainly worth the extra $$!!  If anyone is in need of 62 II, I now have a perfect cherry one available.

That RC62ll is still a desirable center. Someone is always looking for one....good luck.

The 450C is a must with the 280's. They blend in very well. I've used the rf 3 II as a center just for kicks and I loved the way it sounded but ruined the soundstage. They didn't match. The rf 3 ii plays louder and less harsher. The 450c plays more detailed and over all better. It must be due to the cone size.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1