First Sanus rack

novisnick

Ive purchased my first Sanus audio rack. Im looking for suggestions. Heavy gear at the bottom, I have that but then what? Ive youve done this you most likely found the right way to do it. Help a nice guy out please. 

What other gear/parts and sources would you suggest? I don't want to do this ten times, I'd really like to optimize as close as I can the first time.

Thanks in advance,

Can you list your gear and approximate weight?

Not a Sanus stand, but I put my AVR 30 lbs in the middle and the Sony BD player 3 lbs on top, very lightweight shelves.  If I had a dedicated amp I think I would put it on the bottom.

+++

Suggestion on where to post:  You have posted in the For Sale section.  That is not a hanging offense, at least until you get your first hundred posts.  B)

I suggest you post this next time in the Lounge section which is for general interest subjects not elsewhere listed.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, novisnick said:

Is there a way to list my gear somewhere once so others can see it?

Top right, you will see your name.  Click on it, then Account Settings, then Signature.  Your sig will display every time you make a post.

• Like 1

Im waiting on a prepro but perhaps an XMC-2 (25 lbs) when it's available. In the interim ill use a

(1) Emotiva TA-100  15 lbs

(2) Emotiva XPA-1L 35 lbs

(1) Emotiva UPA-500 30 lbs

(1) Emotiva ERC-2 21 lbs

(1) Samsung BDP 6500 8 lbs

(3) C-12 exaust fans 15 lbs, to be placed on amps

im sure I've missed something 

8 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Top right, you will see your name.  Click on it, then Account Settings, then Signature.  Your sig will display every time you make a post.

Thanks so much, I looked many times and never found it. Your so kind.

one more thing, God bless you and your family so bery much for all of your services to our country. I know your family is serving too! 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, novisnick said:

Ive purchased my first Sanus audio rack. Im looking for suggestions. Heavy gear at the bottom, I have that but then what? Ive youve done this you most likely found the right way to do it. Help a nice guy out please. 

What other gear/parts and sources would you suggest? I don't want to do this ten times, I'd really like to optimize as close as I can the first time.

Thanks in advance,

Here's my suggestion for how to use your rack:  

If possible in your room... remove the rack from in between your speakers and place it on your side wall.  The less "stuff" you have between them the better for good imaging.

Looking at your equipment I'd recommend something like this.

From top down

C-12 exhaust fans

Samsung BDP 6500  

Emotiva ERC-2

C-12 exhaust fans

Emotiva UPA-500

C-12 exhaust fans

Emotiva BasX TA-100

rack spacer

Emotiva XPA-1L

Emotiva XPA-1L

Power conditioner or what everything will plug into

Wiring use one side of rack just for power cables, use the other side of rack just for interconnects, speaker cables up the middle, any low voltage IR or trigger cables can go up either side and very short connections do not necessarily need to go to a side. Keep cables to these three groups power, speaker and interconnects and do not allow wires from different groups to contact one another.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rich_Guy said:

Looking at your equipment I'd recommend something like this.

From top down

C-12 exhaust fans

Samsung BDP 6500  

Emotiva ERC-2

C-12 exhaust fans

Emotiva UPA-500

C-12 exhaust fans

Emotiva BasX TA-100

rack spacer

Emotiva XPA-1L

Emotiva XPA-1L

Power conditioner or what everything will plug into

Wiring use one side of rack just for power cables, use the other side of rack just for interconnects, speaker cables up the middle, any low voltage IR or trigger cables can go up either side and very short connections do not necessarily need to go to a side. Keep cables to these three groups power, speaker and interconnects and do not allow wires from different groups to contact one another.

Very good suggestion my friend but I was thinking that those XPA-1Ls can get pretty warm to hot in classe A. I have always had a C-12 on top of each of those, thoughts? Even if I have to find another exhaust fan. Also, what conditioner would you recomend? My other system has a Belkin that I got a really good deal on and hasn't failed me.

Txs 

I didn't realize the  Emotiva XPA-1L 's got that hot, my XPA-2 and XPA-5 stay fairly cool so. I would had thought your processor/pre-amp's would have been the system hot spots. Definitely the C-12 's should be above the hottest components and I think probably one at the very top to get the rising heat. You would know your systems heat better than anyone else to be the best judge. I'd think the 3 C-12 's would be sufficient and maybe just vented rack spacers could be used between some components unless you feel you really want more cooling.

Personally I love my Belkin PF-60 and I couldn't be happier with it, after lots of comparing it's my favorite. The earlier PF-60's models were the best, Belkin changed them several times over the years they were made getting a little cheaper with each revamp. While no longer made you can still sometimes find them used at a good price.

The best PF-60's had a massive power cord about .570" diameter and 12 gauge wire, with 4 pairs of coax input/outputs and these had Ethernet and phone jacks, these came with rack mounts. PUREIAV was stamped in large letters on the top.

Next best PF-60's still had PUREIAV stamped on top with 3 pairs of coax input/outputs, they had Ethernet but no longer had phone jacks and a smaller 14 gauge power cord about .475" diameter, also they no longer came supplied with rack mounts.

In later models they stopped having PUREIAV stamped on top and started losing many good features as well, with some no longer having six isolated banks and also having less bank controls.

Thanks Rich Guy, I do have an early model Belkin in another system and its built like a tank and does as advertised! Maybe more. The Emotiva multichannel amps do run rather cool, I have an XPA-5 and its cold compared to the XPA-1L, especially when running at Classe A of which is 35 watts of sweetness. But only use it for critical two channel listening. And not nearly enough! LOL.

I appreciate the time you've taken to help me. I do have some shelves but the rack ears wont be in stock for 3 months! 

21 hours ago, Rich_Guy said:

I didn't realize the  Emotiva XPA-1L 's got that hot, my XPA-2 and XPA-5 stay fairly cool so. I would had thought your processor/pre-amp's would have been the system hot spots. Definitely the C-12 's should be above the hottest components and I think probably one at the very top to get the rising heat. You would know your systems heat better than anyone else to be the best judge. I'd think the 3 C-12 's would be sufficient and maybe just vented rack spacers could be used between some components unless you feel you really want more cooling.

Personally I love my Belkin PF-60 and I couldn't be happier with it, after lots of comparing it's my favorite. The earlier PF-60's models were the best, Belkin changed them several times over the years they were made getting a little cheaper with each revamp. While no longer made you can still sometimes find them used at a good price.

The best PF-60's had a massive power cord about .570" diameter and 12 gauge wire, with 4 pairs of coax input/outputs and these had Ethernet and phone jacks, these came with rack mounts. PUREIAV was stamped in large letters on the top.

Next best PF-60's still had PUREIAV stamped on top with 3 pairs of coax input/outputs, they had Ethernet but no longer had phone jacks and a smaller 14 gauge power cord about .475" diameter, also they no longer came supplied with rack mounts.

In later models they stopped having PUREIAV stamped on top and started losing many good features as well, with some no longer having six isolated banks and also having less bank controls.

Is $300.00 a good price for a Belkin PF-60? Haven't a clue what they go for now, or would you explore another manufacturer?

I have seen prices from around $150 to $300 for used ones lately. Depending on the condition and which version I think $300 could be fair although a bit high. An early version in excellent condition would be worth it but if you spend some time to shop around you may find a better deal.

I see someone is selling some of the late versions which are really not anywhere near as good at around $1,200 new, the older versions are far better than these ones.

I'd say be sure to buy one with the PUREIAV stamped in large letters on the top as these were all very good, There were some good ones which did not have the stamped top but there also were a lot of really down graded ones.

Personally I prefer the good PF-60's over any Furman or Panamax so if I had to I'd pay $300 for a good PF-60.

Here's a picture of the back of the best PF-60

I'd be sure to have the 6 isolated banks and the bank control switches most PF-60's have these. The six isolated banks are six pairs of outlets on separate filter systems completely isolated from one another, this is a very good feature. To the right of the outlets at the top are two rows of bank control switches another top feature left off on some later models.  I would not buy a PF-60 that did not have these features.

belkin_PF_60_backpanel.jpg

See the PUREIAV stamped into the top the better ones will have this.

But also notice this one is lacking phone and network input/outputs which the one above has.

832863-belkin-pf60.jpg

Here is a picture of one of the really stripped down bad versions of the PF60

Notice on the front it only has 2 buttons in the middle rather than the normal 3. Then on back it only has 4 isolated banks Instead of 6, two of the banks group 4 outlets together rather than all banks being separated in pairs, this is a big downgrade. Also the bank control has been removed you can no longer control which banks are switched OFF/ON or always ON or control delay etc., this is also why the front only has two buttons on front. on this one. These are really downgraded and I'd never buy one of these.

BTW this picture is from one listed on ebay for  $1,037.60 used and the same seller lists them at  $1,228.88  new.

s-l1600.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/15/2017 at 10:52 AM, Rich_Guy said:

Here is a picture of one of the really stripped down bad versions of the PF60

Notice on the front it only has 2 buttons in the middle rather than the normal 3. Then on back it only has 4 isolated banks Instead of 6, two of the banks group 4 outlets together rather than all banks being separated in pairs, this is a big downgrade. Also the bank control has been removed you can no longer control which banks are switched OFF/ON or always ON or control delay etc., this is also why the front only has two buttons on front. on this one. These are really downgraded and I'd never buy one of these.

BTW this picture is from one listed on ebay for  $1,037.60 used and the same seller lists them at  $1,228.88  new.

s-l1600.jpg

Thanks for all of your help, sorry this is late.