Why would my left and right channel be 4.5DB different?

Lost240

My left channel needed to be adjusted on my receiver to be 4.5DB higher than my right. Could the horns be that sensitive? It isn't the room placement, because when I walked up to the speakers one was clearly quieter than the other until I adjusted them. I thought I was going deaf in my left ear. Could there be something going on with my crossover? I still need to switch left and right speakers to see if its an amp issue. 

Thanks!

So last night i switched the wire at the amp and it equalized the speakers.  My only thought is that the speakers are off by a little bit and so are the channels on the amp so combining the two only made the problem worse. This evening I am going to physically switch the left and right speaker. If this solves the issue I will be happy. 

53 minutes ago, Lost240 said:

So last night i switched the wire at the amp and it equalized the speakers.  My only thought is that the speakers are off by a little bit and so are the channels on the amp so combining the two only made the problem worse. This evening I am going to physically switch the left and right speaker. If this solves the issue I will be happy. 

I have had issues in the past with decreased output from a speaker due to binding post connection not being tight enough.  Perhaps when you switched wiring you actually just fixed the connection.  Or maybe you have a bad wire and moving it around allowed a better signal at least transiently.  I would re-try the way you had it to start now and see what happens.  If issue still there would also try new speaker wire.

• Like 1

So after I switched the inputs on the amp and tried it, I then went and switched the wires on the speaker end. This way the correct channels would be playing. At this point the problem was back, so I can rule out the speaker wire. 

Well one is in a corner and the other one has a ways to go to the corner. I have switched the speakers and now there is only a 2DB difference. I also put new jumpers on and tightened down the connections on the horn. I am going to attribute the 2DB to the room and seating position. 

On 7/15/2017 at 0:41 PM, Lost240 said:

Well one is in a corner and the other one has a ways to go to the corner. I have switched the speakers and now there is only a 2DB difference. I also put new jumpers on and tighter down the connections on the horn. I am going to attribute the 2DB to the room and seating position. 

The room could easily make a 2 dB difference.  For instance, moving a speaker from a position well out in a room into a corner can increase the bass volume by 6 dB.