Integrated Amp suggestions

guywithwine

11 hours ago, woodsman said:

Best back for the buck in tube audio.

I haven't heard one so I'll take your word for the SQ.  In order to be the best bang (I'm assuming that's what you meant) for the buck something would normally give more performance at a certain price point.  I was always under the impression that his gear was extremely expensive.  What do his products range price wise?

• Like 1

Never mind, I just saw pricing.  2200 for a headphone amp and up to well over 5K for a 2 channel amp.  His amps are beautiful (in a steam punk kind of way) and I'm sure they sound great but to me they're the opposite of a bang for your buck purchase.  They're on the far edge of the law of diminishing returns.  I didn't see an integrated amp listed but maybe it's a special order item?  He looks very capable of doing custom orders.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, joshnich said:

I haven’t heard this amp but I will defend the LEDs. Apparently, the green turns to amber when the power guard circuit senses clipping. Yes it may be overly dramatic but it serves the same purpose as a little red light would. 

I have owned both vintage and modern Mac equipment (as well as countless other makes - no not leben) and to my ears Mac is still at the front of the toboggan. From both a sound as well as build quality standpoint. So I cannot agree that the mighty has fallen. In fact I believe that the opposite is the case. 

OK I think it is ugly as hell but not as ugly as the MC turntable. I don't prefer the look of modern mac but at least they are still around. There aren't many original american hi-fi companies still going. That being said turning orange at clipping is pretty cool and at least it serves a function. I've had a MC225 and MC30 and heard a host of others. I prefer the 30s myself. Their stuff is ok

4 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Never mind, I just saw pricing.  2200 for a headphone amp and up to well over 5K for a 2 channel amp.  His amps are beautiful (in a steam punk kind of way) and I'm sure they sound great but to me they're the opposite of a bang for your buck purchase.  They're on the far edge of the law of diminishing returns.  I didn't see an integrated amp listed but maybe it's a special order item?  He looks very capable of doing custom orders.

There's no limit to what some folks will spend for art.  TS Matt's artistic flair is certainly different so some wouldn't consider spending $5k as being unreasonable.  And, as an artist, I'm sure that he wants what he considers fair compensation for his metal working skill. 

As with anything, the best value is going to vary with each person's criteria.  But, I do know a guy whose amps are considered the best in their power class...:D:D:D

Maynard

34 minutes ago, tube fanatic said:

There's no limit to what some folks will spend for art.  TS Matt's artistic flair is certainly different so some wouldn't consider spending $5k as being unreasonable.  And, as an artist, I'm sure that he wants what he considers fair compensation for his metal working skill. 

As with anything, the best value is going to vary with each person's criteria.  But, I do know a guy whose amps are considered the best in their power class...:D:D:D

Maynard

I agree with everything you say Maynard, especially the last part!!!  I was only referring to the fact that I personally don't think they're the best bang for the buck out there.  In his defense, that's not what he's going for.  I would personally have a hard time recommending a 5k tube amp to a newcomer and tell him it was a great bang for your buck.

• Like 1

• Administrators
10 minutes ago, woodsman said:

Above pic is the 2018 CES show in Vegas. Klipsch room with ToolShed amp. Looks like they believe in Matt's amps as well.

yup.

In case you missed it in the featured CES thread:

• Like 3