Value of Belles - 1st Generation, In Rough Shape

geoff.

Came across these yesterday and made the 3 hour round trip to have a look. 

The pictures don't do them justice, they were in need of serious help.

The cabinets were the least of it and they require refinishing. Beautiful walnut tops were completely scuffed.

Type AA crossovers had aftermarket capacitors from 30 years ago dangling from the leads and the silver k-55(?) midrange. Until now I wasn't aware of a first generation Belle. 

The grills had been used as scrathing posts for a family of felines.

I couldn't bring myself to offer the seller what I thought they might be worth, 800 bucks.

What would you offer for these, assuming you would want a pair of walnut Belles?

Edited by geoff.
Photo removed at request of seller

Your $800 offer would be appropriate.  It would require considerable talent, time and expense to restore those to be worth the asking price.  Risk insulting the seller.  If someone offers more, so be it.  Perhaps time without better offers will work in your favor.

Maybe offer a little less so you can come up to $800 off you can. The strength is in the details of the work. Refinishing the cabinets will be a lot of work. If the scratches are too deep all over, you might need to reveneer which will be costly. Hopefully you can just sand it out, apply an oil, and put a protectant over it. The crossovers need to be recapped. Yikes, I've never seen someone take caps off of the boards and hang them from the drivers. Good luck, hopefully you can save these speakers.