KLIPSCH METAL K400 HORNS

1HOHDude

4 hours ago, 1HOHDude said:

Does anyone know where to find the specs on these horns?    Specifically what is their minimum frequency?

I think that they were originally intended to be used down to 400 Hz, but in the later Klipschorn designs the K401 (same as K400, but made out of a different material), they used 450 Hz.

I read the reference by JA above and it looks like that with the frame it could actually go as low as 260 cps.    Actually I have two that I am planning to make into a custom center 2 way.     Will probably cross them well above that 400 level.   [ Do you suppose that is where the 400 in K400 originated?     Anyway thanks for the update.  I am researching drivers capable of 1k to 20K that do not cost a fortune.    

50 minutes ago, 1HOHDude said:

I read the reference by JA above and it looks like that with the frame it could actually go as low as 260 cps.    Actually I have two that I am planning to make into a custom center 2 way.     Will probably cross them well above that 400 level.   [ Do you suppose that is where the 400 in K400 originated?     Anyway thanks for the update.  I am researching drivers capable of 1k to 20K that do not cost a fortune.    

please be sure and share this project. Some day i'll want a center with my LS1's and either do a custom center like you're attempting or the RC-64 ..

On 07/14/2017 at 6:15 PM, 1HOHDude said:

Most of the Klipsch horns use the horn designation to indicate the chosen crossover frequency, i.e., a k-400 would be crossed at 400hz, a k-700 at 700hz. You don't want to cross as low as the low freq. cutoff, as a horn will not load properly all the way down to its cutoff. Most aim for one octave above the cutoff freq., which, in the k-400 would be 520hz. In practice, a half octave higher usually works okay.

BTW, the k-400 is a deep horn, and according to PWK, the throat is deeper than it needed to be. You could find other horns that would proably work as well or better that would fit a shallower depth cabinet. Timbre matching might be more difficult, though.

Bruce

Turns out I have the room for the deep horn.    I will probably use an ALK high db crossover which means I could go to 500 cps.    [ the data from JA above suggests that tests got the horn to load as low as 260 but I will not find a driver to go that low.      Looking for suggestions:      Driver to cover 500 to 17K? [That doesn't break the bank.]

http://www.greatplainsaudio.com/downloads/902series.pdf  About $200.

To cross at 500 Hz, this driver needs at least 18 dB/octave, 24 dB/oct would be better, or a higher crossover frequency. 

One of our forum members did extensive testing of the 902/511B and K-55-* on K-400 and 511B horns.  I have found his data to be accurate enough for crossover design.  The curve below peaks at 106 to 107 dB/w/m.  Using those values, you can design a high pass crossover with a sag in it and a steeper than nominal slope and avoid either an L-pad, or autoformer while getting flatter response.  My results were excellent with a Peavey FH-1 bass horn, other than the FH-1's horrid distortion below 100 Hz. 

post-2142-13819499773048_thumb.jpg

Altec 902 on 511B.txt

Have been experimenting with a couple of 10" woofers and a K33.    Looks like all three will go well above 500 cps so I may chose a higher figure.   Would like to keep the number low to maximize the center horn sound to the horns on my TSCMs