Eclipse Aug 21st Where will you be?

babadono

sore subject ... Madras, Oregon is one of the prime viewing spots and is not very far from where i’m currently hanging out.  What would normally be a 30 minute drive is now estimated to take EIGHT hours.  Was talking to a property manager and he said the local Super 8 motel is charging $1,800 per night for rooms.

I was going to bail for the weekend; but, the eclipse is Monday and the roads here aren’t very accommodating for a million travelers. (the trip I had planned was with someone that would have to be back in town Sunday night). Imagine all roads will be gridlock as some are two lanes already with 35 mph speed limit. i could probably spend the weekend on the road and still be able to see my house.

basically, it’s lock yourself inside or fight a mob everywhere...since many will have to drive right through town to get to Madras.

So, i really don’t know what i’ll do. The local grocery store is selling “Eclipse viewing glasses."

• Like 1

Carbondale IL is reported to be the best place to see the eclipse. I live 5 miles from Carbondale in the next town. I will watch it on my deck. Carbondale is home to SIU which is usually a sleepy little college town in the Shawnee national forest, beautiful place. It is going to be crazy here. Ozzy is going to play at one of the local wineries and play bark at the moon during the eclipse. Should be interesting.

• Like 3

• Moderators

I will be at an undisclosed location in the Northwest. 

Matt at Klipsch has arranged an even bigger event for 2024, the Great EKLIPSCH.  It will commemorate the 7th Anniversay of the Klipsch Museum of Audio History.   There will be a total EKLIPSCH over the Museum in Hope AND he Klipsch HQ in Indy.

The duration will be twice as long as the one this year.

Travis

• Like 4

• Moderators
On 7/14/2017 at 3:54 PM, BigStewMan said:

sore subject ... Madras, Oregon is one of the prime viewing spots and is not very far from where i’m currently hanging out.  What would normally be a 30 minute drive is now estimated to take EIGHT hours.  Was talking to a property manager and he said the local Super 8 motel is charging $1,800 per night for rooms.

I was going to bail for the weekend; but, the eclipse is Monday and the roads here aren’t very accommodating for a million travelers. (the trip I had planned was with someone that would have to be back in town Sunday night). Imagine all roads will be gridlock as some are two lanes already with 35 mph speed limit. i could probably spend the weekend on the road and still be able to see my house.

basically, it’s lock yourself inside or fight a mob everywhere...since many will have to drive right through town to get to Madras.

So, i really don’t know what i’ll do. The local grocery store is selling “Eclipse viewing glasses."

It will all be a function of the weather BSM.  

On 7/15/2017 at 3:23 PM, dwilawyer said:

I will be at an undisclosed location in the Northwest. 

Matt at Klipsch has arranged an even bigger event for 2024, the Great EKLIPSCH.  It will commemorate the 7th Anniversay of the Klipsch Museum of Audio History.   There will be a total EKLIPSCH over the Museum in Hope AND he Klipsch HQ in Indy.

The duration will be twice as long as the one this year.

Travis

Cool, but will I still be alive by then?

I am traveling to Clarksville TN to hook up with a fellow forum member (cstrau) I met at this years Pilgrimage.

Clarksville is home to Austin Peay University.

Austin Peay State University’s Department of Physics and Astronomy has an observatory with a 20-inch Ritchey-Chretien telescope, featuring the same optical design as NASA’s Hubble Telescope

NASA has already contacted APSU about setting up a live feed at the University’s observatory to give viewers across the country an opportunity to see the eclipse.

The center of the eclipse, with maximum totality of darkness, is actually about 20 miles north of the University, but that location will only remain dark for about 10 more seconds than Clarksville.

Its the three day weekend of my Birthday and its going to be a party.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Davis said:

I am traveling to Clarksville TN to hook up with a fellow forum member (cstrau) I met at this years Pilgrimage.

Clarksville is home to Austin Peay University.

Austin Peay State University’s Department of Physics and Astronomy has an observatory with a 20-inch Ritchey-Chretien telescope, featuring the same optical design as NASA’s Hubble Telescope

NASA has already contacted APSU about setting up a live feed at the University’s observatory to give viewers across the country an opportunity to see the eclipse.

The center of the eclipse, with maximum totality of darkness, is actually about 20 miles north of the University, but that location will only remain dark for about 10 more seconds than Clarksville.

Its the three day weekend of my Birthday and its going to be a party.

All of this is for your birthday:D

Congrats...sounds like a great time.

• Like 1