Eclipse Aug 21st Where will you be?

babadono

3 hours ago, Davis said:

I am traveling to Clarksville TN to hook up with a fellow forum member (cstrau) I met at this years Pilgrimage.

Clarksville is home to Austin Peay University.

Austin Peay State University’s Department of Physics and Astronomy has an observatory with a 20-inch Ritchey-Chretien telescope, featuring the same optical design as NASA’s Hubble Telescope

NASA has already contacted APSU about setting up a live feed at the University’s observatory to give viewers across the country an opportunity to see the eclipse.

The center of the eclipse, with maximum totality of darkness, is actually about 20 miles north of the University, but that location will only remain dark for about 10 more seconds than Clarksville.

Its the three day weekend of my Birthday and its going to be a party.

14067570_1411488572212909_1999059293109106433_n.jpg

• Like 3

• Moderators
On 7/15/2017 at 5:11 PM, derrickdj1 said:

I need to check and see if it is visible where I am located, 41.5645° N, 87.5125° W.:blink:

Chicago Heights?  You are way north.  Here is an interactive map that will show you how far south you need to go.

http://xjubier.free.fr/en/site_pages/solar_eclipses/TSE_2017_GoogleMapFull.html

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Born 1 Aug 1905; died 28 Jan 1993 at age 87. 
Helen Battles Sawyer Hogg (neé Sawyer) was a Canadian astronomer who located, catalogued and measured the distances to variable stars in globular clusters (stars with cyclical changes of brightness found within huge, dense conglomerations of stars located in the outer halo of the Milky Way galaxy). Her interest in astronomy was spurred when she witnessed a total eclipse of the sun in 1925. Alongside her career work, she was also foremost in Canada in popularizing astronomy, about which she wrote a column in the Toronto Star for thirty years. She was the first woman to become president of the Royal Canadian Institute. In 1989, the observatory at the National Museum of Science and Technology in Ottawa was dedicated in her name.«

Hopkinsville, KY.  Going to meet my sister who's going to visit her in-laws. About 80 miles from me.

Supposed to be the point of longest duration.  Two minutes, 40 seconds. Only live once. The small town is supposed to be booked that day with visitors from everywhere.

19 minutes ago, babadono said:

This ain't horseshoes. Go for totality if you only have to travel a short distance.

My brother is, but he lives near the MO line and will travel to Columbus, MO.  Roads will be JAMMED.  I'll settle for what we get this year and hope I make it to 2024 when my river camp ground will be dead in the center of totality. 

Son is thinking about renting out camping spaces after he heard about the Motel 6 rooms at 1500.00 for this one. 

Dave

On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 8:02 PM, oldtimer said:

I'm going to Coytees.  He will find out about it when he reads this.  I expect a nice guest room or at least a deluxe tent.

Actually Richard talked about doing something at the 2016 pilgrimage, but he's being silent on the subject and hoping that I forgot.  I'm going to look at the weather a couple days out and decide where based on that.  North of Nashville is closest to me but I can adjust and look at a lot of spots in South Carolina also.  I have a friend in Beaufort that is taking the boat up to Lake Marion, weather permitting, and it will pass right over.