Eclipse Aug 21st Where will you be?

babadono

We drove up to Crossville Sunday evening, had a great breakfest at Cracker Barrel and went to Cumberland Mountain State Park. The company we work for gave everyone glasses for viewing. ;) Total eclipse, the corona was spectacular. Cell phone wouldn't really focus well, but the event was great.

Bruce

20170821_133118.jpg

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Marvel said:

The recent events at sea are a huge problem. The eclipse was a great diversion. We were glad our company gave most of the staff the day off to view it.

here is an anti missile ship electronically disables not so long ago. And there another recent case involving the Marines where they were electronically disables for 14 hours in South America (looking for more details on that). The implications are frighting. We are not seeing this news on main stream media and that is even more disturbing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Donald_Cook

All that you touch
And all that you see
All that you taste
All you feel

And all that you love
And all that you hate
All you distrust
All you save

And all that you give
And all that you deal
And all that you buy,
Beg, borrow or steal

And all you create
And all you destroy
And all that you do
And all that you say

And all that you eat
And everyone you meet
And all that you slight
And everyone you fight

And all that is now
And all that is gone
And all that's to come
And everything under the sun is in tune
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon.

There is no dark side of the moon, really.
Matter of fact, it's all dark.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

All that you touch
And all that you see
All that you taste
All you feel
And everything under the sun is in tune
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon.

There is no dark side of the moon, really.
Matter of fact, it's all dark.

nice.  me likey :D

11 hours ago, Marvel said:

The recent events at sea are a huge problem. The eclipse was a great diversion. We were glad our company gave most of the staff the day off to view it.

agreed - events at sea should be of great concern to those in charge.  hopefully not quite so much for those of us not (yet) directly involved - meaning - I hope the USN folk are throwing every possible resource into the investigations of those events, and that the outcome is good for the US of A, where it means no conflict comes to visit us in person.

eclipse - I wish we were given the day off.  in days past (pre-merger, under previous management), we might have been given a chance to do that.  but, post-merger, ha!  so much has changed...  but we did still informally move outdoors to check it out during work.  so that was cool.

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 8/19/2017 at 10:51 AM, Don Richard said:

In the early 80s I saw a total eclipse. Kinda meh, it was about noon, it did not get totally dark, about like dusk except my shadow looked like it would about noon. Looking at the shadows under trees, they were crescent shaped. Ring of fire for about a minute. Cooler than normal. Won't drive anywhere to see this one, we are going to get ~ 75% where I live.

Never heard anyone who saw a total eclipse describe it as "meh" before.

Where were you when you saw it?

• Moderators

We were in Wyoming, 2 mins 30 secs of totality.  We had a documented (EDIT, typo) 15 degree drop in temprature.  We were fortunate enough to also have shadow bands before and after totality which we were able to capture on a white sheet with video.

The hundreds of acres of sunflowers we saw before the eclipse were following the sun as they normally do, after the eclipse they were all facing east, fooled into thinking the sun had set.

You could look in any direction during totality and it looked just aftet sunset.

Without a doubt the most spectacular natural event I have ever seen.   Awe-struck doesn't even come close.  Many much more able to describe it than I still come up short.

Photos don't do it, videos don't do it;  a total eclipse of the sun is just something you have to experience in person one time.

• Like 2

• Moderators
2 hours ago, dwilawyer said:
On 8/21/2017 at 1:11 PM, dtel said:

Looks like about 40% here now, might be about all we get ? Dark welding shields work well.

Hopefully they were at least 12, preferably 13, or you did some damage.

I don't remember the number but I did have plans to change it, it's too dark to even see well when welding.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, dwilawyer said:

We were in Wyoming

I am glad to hear you had a good trip and time.

It's one of those things that make you just stand there amazed, and a couple of minutes that you will not forget.

I totally agree, Travis. Would have been incredible to see the sunflowers facing east.

It wasn't a heart racing event, rather awe inspiring and humbling. Words always fail me when something like this takes place.

Bruce