Eclipse Aug 21st Where will you be?

babadono

3 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

We were in Wyoming, 2 mins 30 secs of totality.  We had a documented 25 degree drop in temprature.  We were fortunate enough to also have shadow bands before and after totality which we were able to capture on a white sheet with video.

The hundreds of acres of sunflowers we saw before the eclipse were following the sun as they normally do, after the eclipse they were all facing east, fooled into thinking the sun had set.

You could look in any direction during totality and it looked just aftet sunset.

Without a doubt the most spectacular natural event I have ever seen.   Awe-struck doesn't even come close.  Many much more able to describe it than I still come up short.

Photos don't do it, videos don't do it;  a total eclipse of the sun is just something you have to experience in person one time.

You won't have to drive very far for the next one, Austin is in the 100% range, 2024.

32 minutes ago, GeorgeK said:

I drove 20 hrs in a 30 hr period to witness 2min and 30 sec of totality and it was worth it. I felt like I witnessed a miracle. I experienced a 90% partial eclipse in 1979 and there is no comparasion. Awesome.  GeorgeK

I'm not sure where you live but the eclipse in 2024 will travel a much different path. It will come up through Texas, through the midwest, then out through eastern Canada. I'm in Indianapolis, we were at 90% this time, but in the 100% path for the next one....can't wait.

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, dtel said:

I don't remember the number but I did have plans to change it, it's too dark to even see well when welding.

That is probably going to be a o.k.  12, 13 and 14 are for high-current plasma welding and are not typically suitable for OA welding.  

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/safety

"Viewing with Protection -- Experts suggests that one widely available filter for safe solar viewing is welders glass of sufficiently high number. The only ones that are safe for direct viewing of the Sun with your eyes are those of Shade 12 or higher. These are much darker than the filters used for most kinds of welding. If you have an old welder's helmet around the house and are thinking of using it to view the Sun, make sure you know the filter's shade number. If it's less than 12 (and it probably is), don't even think about using it to look at the Sun. Many people find the Sun too bright even in a Shade 12 filter, and some find the Sun too dim in a Shade 14 filter — but Shade 13 filters are uncommon and can be hard to find. "

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Marvel said:

I totally agree, Travis. Would have been incredible to see the sunflowers facing east.

It wasn't a heart racing event, rather awe inspiring and humbling. Words always fail me when something like this takes place.

Bruce

I have quit trying to express it.  Words fail me.  I can certainly see why there are people who chase these all over the world.

Travis

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

You won't have to drive very far for the next one, Austin is in the 100% range, 2024.

I'm not sure where you live but the eclipse in 2024 will travel a much different path. It will come up through Texas, through the midwest, then out through eastern Canada. I'm in Indianapolis, we were at 90% this time, but in the 100% path for the next one....can't wait.

Yes indeed.

As I mentioned back on July 25th:

"I will be at an undisclosed location in the Northwest. 

Matt at Klipsch has arranged an even bigger event for 2024, the Great EKLIPSCH.  It will commemorate the 7th Anniversary of the Klipsch Museum of Audio History.   There will be a total EKLIPSCH over the Museum in Hope AND he Klipsch HQ in Indy.

The duration will be twice as long as the one this year."

The max duration of totality in the Indy area will be south of the city (Providence, Whiteland, Boggstown, Fairland, Morristown) which will have 4:01 of totality.

I am hoping I will be in Indianapolis at the Klipsch Headquarters helping with a major fundraising event for the Museum and that you are there with me. I want to build a wall of Klipsch speakers and blast DSOM up until 30 seconds before totality.  The length of totality at Klipsch HQ will be 3:30 and will start 18 minutes after the eclipse hits Hope.  I want to stream the event from Museum up to Indy, and from Klipsch down to the Museum in Hope.

Hoping to get Klipsch to make up a bunch of eKlipsch solar viewing glasses etc.  Part of the Mission and Vision of the Museum is STEM and that Standing Committee is headed up by @Chief bonehead so it will fit right in.

Travis

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 8/21/2017 at 8:46 PM, Marvel said:

We drove up to Crossville Sunday evening, had a great breakfest at Cracker Barrel and went to Cumberland Mountain State Park. The company we work for gave everyone glasses for viewing. ;) Total eclipse, the corona was spectacular. Cell phone wouldn't really focus well, but the event was great.

Bruce

20170821_133118.jpg

Awesome, awesome Bruce.

Did you get shadow bands there?  We had intense shadow bands pre-eclipse which is another wild experience in itself.

Travis

I'm glad you were able to open them.  Haven't switched photo hosting since Photobucket changed it's service.  I was using a mylar solar filter, similar to the glasses.

Correction:  For those shots I posted during totality, I removed the filter. 

7 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

Yes indeed.

As I mentioned back on July 25th:

"I will be at an undisclosed location in the Northwest. 

Matt at Klipsch has arranged an even bigger event for 2024, the Great EKLIPSCH.  It will commemorate the 7th Anniversary of the Klipsch Museum of Audio History.   There will be a total EKLIPSCH over the Museum in Hope AND he Klipsch HQ in Indy.

The duration will be twice as long as the one this year."

The max duration of totality in the Indy area will be south of the city (Providence, Whiteland, Boggstown, Fairland, Morristown) which will have 4:01 of totality.

I am hoping I will be in Indianapolis at the Klipsch Headquarters helping with a major fundraising event for the Museum and that you are there with me. I want to build a wall of Klipsch speakers and blast DSOM up until 30 seconds before totality.  The length of totality at Klipsch HQ will be 3:30 and will start 18 minutes after the eclipse hits Hope.  I want to stream the event from Museum up to Indy, and from Klipsch down to the Museum in Hope.

Hoping to get Klipsch to make up a bunch of eKlipsch solar viewing glasses etc.  Part of the Mission and Vision of the Museum is STEM and that Standing Committee is headed up by @Chief bonehead so it will fit right in.

Travis

This sounds like quite the event you're planning, I'm excited. Count me in for any help I can provide up here. 

Do I need to start securing speakers for your WOK....Wall of Klipsch? The HQ has speakers scattered all over their facility, some very cool prototypes. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
5 hours ago, sputnik said:

I was also in Wyoming, exactly on the line near Shoshoni.  Not a soul on the horizon.  Took lots of photos - here are couple that I liked so far.

_HNM1959.jpg cropped reduced

_HNM1984.jpg cropped

Those are awesome!!!!

Did you get shadow bands there?

Travis

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

This sounds like quite the event you're planning, I'm excited. Count me in for any help I can provide up here. 

Do I need to start securing speakers for your WOK....Wall of Klipsch? The HQ has speakers scattered all over their facility, some very cool prototypes. 

I was going to talk to a couple of guys at HQ in the next couple of weeks to see about the long range planning.

48 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

I was going to talk to a couple of guys at HQ in the next couple of weeks to see about the long range planning.

Count me in as well, however I can be of assistance.

My desk at work is 2100 feet from the Indy HQ.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Davis said:

Count me in as well, however I can be of assistance.

My desk at work is 2100 feet from the Indy HQ.

Are you in the Pyramids?

Hey....I could use a hand. They had a very cool prototype console there that I would love to have, it was about 6' long and looked heavy.

40 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

Are you in the Pyramids?

Hey....I could use a hand. They had a very cool prototype console there that I would love to have, it was about 6' long and looked heavy.

I am on the north side of I-465 at 96th Street and Commerce Drive.

• Like 1

Just got back in from the road trip and I must say, I'm glad I took the time and effort to go.  Ended up about 11 miles outside a small town in N.C. called Robinsville.  on the Cherohala Skyway at 4000 feet.  2:38 of totality dead on the center line.  My 13 year old nephew was thrilled to go with me, as it was his first real road trip and no schedule or defined plan to adhere to.  Just one of those things that you have to experience as the coverage that I recorded and watched when I got home, didn't do it justice at all.  It's similar to the difference between looking at a picture of the grand canyon, or a wicked lightning storm or being there and in the middle of it.  That said, I don't think I would drive that far to see another one, but I will absolutely make it to the one in 2024 but plan on being on a boat out in lake Erie for that one.  Now watching reporters sensationalizing it on T.V. or whack jobs claiming it was life changing or a religious experience, might be a bit over the top, but really cool for sure. Plenty of shadow bands too.  Didn't even try to take a picture, as I left that to the experts and just enjoyed the event.

• Like 2

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, Pete H said:

Ended up about 11 miles outside a small town in N.C. called Robinsville.  on the Cherohala Skyway at 4000 feet.

I love that area, great place to watch from, good choice. Also very close to a great looking waterfall.