Eclipse Aug 21st Where will you be?

babadono

4 hours ago, Pete H said:

Actually Richard talked about doing something at the 2016 pilgrimage, but he's being silent on the subject and hoping that I forgot.  I'm going to look at the weather a couple days out and decide where based on that.  North of Nashville is closest to me but I can adjust and look at a lot of spots in South Carolina also.  I have a friend in Beaufort that is taking the boat up to Lake Marion, weather permitting, and it will pass right over.

That's what I will do also, decide a few days earlier based on weather. I have 3 different private locations that are very close to the ideal spot. 

One is on a lake also, that sounds like a great spot.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really surprised that this thread hasn't gotten more responses.  Have many of you already experienced a total eclipse in it's totality?  If so, please chime in and tell us what your experience was.  And still no word from Richard. HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

4 minutes ago, Pete H said:

I'm really surprised that this thread hasn't gotten more responses.  Have many of you already experienced a total eclipse in it's totality?  If so, please chime in and tell us what your experience was.  And still no word from Richard. HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Where you been Pete??????

I've been buried at work handling court cases and 20+ projects gone wrong from a location that got closed down, but was once a part of our location.  It's been a freaking nightmare.  So between that, finally getting married next month, ( I did hold off 8 years though):o, 4 month old grand daughter, nice summer, so there's been a lot of activity at the pool and since I'm the pool bitc& etc.etc.etc.  Then there's you starting the KI396 crap  LMAO and you know I really want a pair so I'm trying to stay focused.  

• Like 1

Right here just west and south of KC, a hear direct path. Fifty miles N is St. Joseph, MO one of the perfect direct pathways. Authorities are already preparing for a mass of humanity in this general area and hiway traffic congestion in and around a 50 mile radius. 

4 minutes ago, Pete H said:

I've been buried at work handling court cases and 20+ projects gone wrong from a location that got closed down, but was once a part of our location.  It's been a freaking nightmare.  So between that, finally getting married next month, ( I did hold off 8 years though):o, 4 month old grand daughter, nice summer, so there's been a lot of activity at the pool and since I'm the pool bitc& etc.etc.etc.  Then there's you starting the KI396 crap  LMAO and you know I really want a pair so I'm trying to stay focused.  

I'll have a 684 at the end of the month to go with them.  Better get busy!

Congrats on the nuptials!  Tom going to be your best man?

3 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

I'm going to be in the middle of my driveway staring directly at it through a Giant tumbler of Mai Tais.

The combination of light diffracting tumbler and Mai Tai liquid should render you safe and ready for viewing. You might have a second Mai Tai locked and loaded, you may need it.  "Seeing" that I always want to help, should I bring a cane to Hope next year? "See" how I did that, twice ?? 

26 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I'll have a 684 at the end of the month to go with them.  Better get busy!

Congrats on the nuptials!  Tom going to be your best man?

Thanks Carl!  Actually Tom and Mike (the guy that wasn't able to make the trip) will both be standing with me.  

We are in the totality path.  Our peaceful area is expecting 1 million visitors.  People are being advised to stock up on gasoline, food, medical supplies, etc.  The local hospital is opening a couple of new outposts in case people can't get through the gridlock to get medical help. 

I want everyone to be safe, so, if it hasn't been posted already, the relatively safe, non-counterfeit glasses are marked ISO12312-2, and also probably have the letters CE on them somewhere. 

I'm in the 90% area, but there's a chance of clouds/rain in the midwest. I will wait till Monday and travel maybe an hour or so if I have to get away from some weather. I have no desire to go to an area with a million people there and nothing to support that many people. I don't like traffic jams:D

5 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

I wonder how much business the eye doctor industry will pick up after this eclipse?

Denise has worked in the optical field for 30 years and for the last 2 weeks, they have been inundated with people wanting glasses, asking tons of questions and her Dr. has advised them to just not look at it, as he's expecting a lot of retina damage after the event.  I should have purchased 10,000 pair of them a few months ago when I could have bought them in bulk for .50 per.  I got 50 pair, knowing that people would not be prepared and people were begging to pay 15-20 per pair which is crazy.  After taking care of friends and family members that weren't ready, Denise posted the extra pair on FB and they were gone in 10 minutes.

Surprisingly, there are still plenty of hotel rooms at normal rates available in close proximity to the path, at least in TN and N.C. I still don't know what direction I'm heading for tomorrow, but will make that decision in the morning after looking at the forecast models.  It would suck to drive 8 hours for cloud cover.

21 hours ago, Pete H said:

Have many of you already experienced a total eclipse in it's totality?

In the early 80s I saw a total eclipse. Kinda meh, it was about noon, it did not get totally dark, about like dusk except my shadow looked like it would about noon. Looking at the shadows under trees, they were crescent shaped. Ring of fire for about a minute. Cooler than normal. Won't drive anywhere to see this one, we are going to get ~ 75% where I live.