Long HDMI cables

ricktate

I got an Integra avr and its 40 feet from TV and DVD player. It has been working fine till last week. Now it gets glitches in video. Tech guy from Onkyo says cables to long. Has anyone been able to solve this problem or have any ideas. He said 40 to Avr and back is 80 feet and signal is weak. Why did it work for a month? The cables are from Monoprice heavy duty cable. I got one  new cable and still no luck. 

Don't really want to move AVR to living room....might try to move DVD player next to AVR next.  Thanks for any ideas.

I had the same problem with my theater HDMI cables.  Tooooooooooooo long they said.    We put in custom cables and the problems went away.    For your length there are booster units that you put in the middle.     There are also cables with built in boosters in the middle.   You need to research cables.

I have had success with 50' examples of your first link in several setups. I run 4 50" TVs from PC thru HDMI splitter at work with these. I have the ultra slim RedMere in use at at about 30' (haven't tried longer).

I used a 40 ft. Monoprice Redmere from my Onkyo pre/pro to my projector. I had severe handshake issues and contacted Monoprice. I was surprised that they recommended their generic cable in lieu of of a more expensive one. This is the one I got on their recommendation. Almost a year since replacement and still working flawlessly. MP is great to work with on any cable RMA's by the way.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024017&p_id=15646&seq=1&format=2

edit: Ha, I see your problem cable link is the cable I'm currently using and posted.

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, ricktate said:

Let me know how that works.  I have the same 1/2 inch thick ones you have in 40' and there are often sync issues.  Sometimes when everything boots up, the projector just shows a blank blue screen.  To resolve it, I have to switch inputs on the projector, sometimes switch inputs on the receiver and I've even had to turn everything off and boot it back up to get the picture to show.  I'm not sure if it's because my PS3 is so old (Fat Version) or if it's a cable length issue.

I would be surprised if the long cable argument holds when it worked for a month and not it does not.  What has changed?  Is the problem  with stream or movies directly from the BDP?  There may be a change in the satellite or cable signal.  I had a similar problem and brought an HDMI extender(active).  This did not help much and I found the BDP was set to UHD or 4k.  The projector and TV support 1080 and not 4k.  No problems since correcting the settings.

6 hours ago, Youthman said:

Hmmm....I was hoping Active might be the cure.

Me too.  I tested mine before installing inside the wall and it seemed to work fine, but it will randomly cut out once or twice over the course of a movie.  Screen blacks out for 5 seconds or so...usually during the good parts of the movie.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, fuzzydog said:

it will randomly cut out once or twice over the course of a movie.

Mine has never done that.  Tonight, my wife wanted to watch a show on Netflix.  I hit "Watch Movie" on the Harmony One.  It turns on the projector, Onkyo and PS3.....blue screen.  I change inputs on the projector from HDMI 1 to HDMI 2, then back to HDMI 1.....blue screen.  I switch inputs on the Onkyo from PS3 to AppleTV, then back to PS3....blue screen.  I turn off the Onkyo and turn it back on and everything is good.  There's never a certain "fix" that will correct the handshake issue...I just have to try those things until something works.

• Moderators

My guess is there are a lot of factors that come into play with HDMI issues since we all have different BD sources, receivers, as well as displays.  When I had a cable box, I NEVER had an issue with the video not showing.  This however is not the case with the PS3.  I don't recall ever having an issue with the AppleTV either.

Well thanks for the information. I'm not real sure on what to try now. When I first got that thick monoprice cable I thought wow they got this stuff covered. Not so sure now.... I guess I could use it for tow rope if I have to...lol

I did order some of those flexible elbow joints and with them on the cable nothing works at all. That was another waste of money. 

Going to have to do some research on cables or try dvd player next to avr. 

Seems kind of silly to me if you cant have the avr in another room what's the point of ''home theater''.  

Just glad I didn't spend 1200 bucks on the avr I would really be pissed. 

I'm from the UK and use HDMI Extenders over Ethernet cables.

I use this one over a distance of 30' but it claims to go up to 90':

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neet-Extender-Cat5e-network-cable/dp/B002ECYEYA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1500223723&sr=8-2&keywords=hdmi+ethernet+neet

You can also make up custom lengths with Ethernet cables.

I assume similar devises are available in the US.  Hope this helps

• Moderators

On the Beach, I didn't even think of that for home theater.  I've been using a similar HDMI Extender in our youth center at church and it works flawlessly for the past few years.  It died the other day so I ordered this one.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CZL2VIA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1