Free of charge: Pair very nice backloaded horns

erik2A3

Greetings,

Once upon a few years ago, I acquired a pair of rear-loaded horns that were designed after the original Lowther Acousta - but considerably modernized.  They were an eBay find, and the seller was doing the same as I -- letting them go for free, the only charge being shipping costs.   They are large, heavy, extremely well-built, in outstanding condition with zero dings, missing veneer, etc.. They are finished in varnished but unstained light ply.  The cost for shipping and huge double-boxing I paid was $300.  I remember when my wife came home from work, and asked, "Ok, what are those?  Did we order two new refrigerators!?" 

As a very proud owner of the Lowther America Medallion II cabinets I use with Lowther PM5A drivers (do a search on Lowther drivers and speakers - very interesting audio history), I bought the horns to use with a pair of Lowther DX4 drivers.  The single, nearly full-range drivers are NOT cheap, but are extremely efficient and absolutely stunning with certain genres of source material.  I use them along side our Klipsch La Scalas.

The front baffle driver cutout and mounting positions will work with any of the Lowther DX or C (ceramic magnet) 8" drivers.  An ideal match, which would give exceptional performance (if you are into full-range crossoverless horns -- I definitely am!) would be the Lowther DX3.  Audio Nirvana also makes really, really nice full-range drivers (which I also own) that would work perfectly in these cabs.

They are finished, except for the small, well-placed counter sink holes on the front which were done to accommodate front grilles. 

So, unlike a much more simple sealed or bass reflex box, they are a huge amount of work to DIY because of the internal folded horn.  I just don't have room for them and have decided to give them away.  

I'll add pictures later this morning.  Right now they are in my workroom to be (we just moved) and inaccessible due to piles of raw drivers, horns, test equipment, etc.

If you are somewhere near Phoenix or Tucson AZ and you want them, I'll meet you within a two-hour radius, and they are yours for free.  I hate the thought of letting them go.

erik

• Like 4

On 7/15/2017 at 8:26 AM, erik2A3 said:

Greetings,

Once upon a few years ago, I acquired a pair of rear-loaded horns that were designed after the original Lowther Acousta - but considerably modernized.  They were an eBay find, and the seller was doing the same as I -- letting them go for free, the only charge being shipping costs.   They are large, heavy, extremely well-built, in outstanding condition with zero dings, missing veneer, etc.. They are finished in varnished but unstained light ply.  The cost for shipping and huge double-boxing I paid was $300.  I remember when my wife came home from work, and asked, "Ok, what are those?  Did we order two new refrigerators!?" 

As a very proud owner of the Lowther America Medallion II cabinets I use with Lowther PM5A drivers (do a search on Lowther drivers and speakers - very interesting audio history), I bought the horns to use with a pair of Lowther DX4 drivers.  The single, nearly full-range drivers are NOT cheap, but are extremely efficient and absolutely stunning with certain genres of source material.  I use them along side our Klipsch La Scalas.

The front baffle driver cutout and mounting positions will work with any of the Lowther DX or C (ceramic magnet) 8" drivers.  An ideal match, which would give exceptional performance (if you are into full-range crossoverless horns -- I definitely am!) would be the Lowther DX3.  Audio Nirvana also makes really, really nice full-range drivers (which I also own) that would work perfectly in these cabs.

They are finished, except for the small, well-placed counter sink holes on the front which were done to accommodate front grilles. 

So, unlike a much more simple sealed or bass reflex box, they are a huge amount of work to DIY because of the internal folded horn.  I just don't have room for them and have decided to give them away.  

I'll add pictures later this morning.  Right now they are in my workroom to be (we just moved) and inaccessible due to piles of raw drivers, horns, test equipment, etc.

If you are somewhere near Phoenix or Tucson AZ and you want them, I'll meet you within a two-hour radius, and they are yours for free.  I hate the thought of letting them go.

erik

Hi Erik - 

PM sent.

Thanks!

Kevin

Soundbound:  You do understand they don't have drivers.  Common sense Audio carries drivers that would work very well.  I'm giving the cabinets away because the new owner will need to be willing to invest in the kind of drivers that will work particularly well with them.  If that's understood and you are serious about wanting them, please send me a PM.  

Pat_in_dfw:  I can take pictures.  Are you interested?

• Like 1

These drivers would be ideal, but as mentioned above, Common Sense Audio has a line of drivers (Audio Nirvana) that have been very well received (I also own a pair) and are much less expensive.

With the Lowther DX3 drivers, I estimate the efficiency in the boxes I'm giving away to be in 100dB/watt range.  Once driver surrounds are loosened up and broken in (taking several hundred hours), they sound extremely good with such music as acoustic Jazz, lighter classical, solo guitar -- so for me are very, very satisfactory.  Moreover, they are true point-source drivers, and have zero insertion loss associated with passive crossovers.  

So, perhaps not adopted......

Anyway, Dimensions: 41.5" tall X 18" wide X 15" deep

Weight per cabinet guesstimated to be about 100lbs sans drivers.  These were designed around the Lowther PM6A driver, which is one of the shallower alnico drivers.  I use PM5As in my rear-loaded horns, and the magnet is so large it won't fit the compression chamber in these cabinets.  I acquired them to use with DX series of Lowthers.  I hate to see them go, but we simply don't have space.

image.jpeg

Just for the record, there is another matching cabinet.  The one shown above was pulled out for illustration purposes.  The black rectangular area below the driver cutout is the horn mouth.  These are extremely sturdy, well-built cabinets.