Which is better at stereo? Denon x4300h or yamaha a-s701

Spirit_Rises

Really tough question and very subjective.

Though the Denon is an upper mid level AVR that most likely is equipped to do 2-channel well, it's primary goal is HT.  I believe more design energy/dollars was spent on squeezing as many modern features and channels into the package that are geared toward the best HT experience at it's price point.

The Yamaha has one main job, produce the best stereo music at it's price point.

Bill

18 minutes ago, IMWhizzle said:

later on combined with a 2ch amp connected on pre outs the Emotiva is the best way to go.

The OP would still be using a 9 channel preamp in stereo mode.  Not usually the best method for stereo music IMO.

I have owned a few AVRs, both flagship and mid level and none have been superior with stereo music to some of the stereo pereamp/amp combos, integrated amps, and stereo receivers I own or have owned.

Bill

The OP would still be using a 9 channel preamp in stereo mode.  Not usually the best method for stereo music IMO.

I have owned a few AVRs, both flagship and mid level and none have been superior with stereo music to some of the stereo pereamp/amp combos, integrated amps, and stereo receivers I own or have owned.

Bill

What if he uses the Yamaha with the Denon in HT bypass mode?

9 minutes ago, IMWhizzle said:

What if he uses the Yamaha with the Denon in HT bypass mode?

I don't think the Yamaha A-S701 has that feature.  Neither does the A-S801.  The "lowest" Yamaha integrated that has that feature is the one that I have, the A-S1000.

Bill

Not sure why the OP would be comparing a $1100 HT receiver to a $300 Stereo receiver.  Not exactly apples to apples.  

If he's sure he's never going to add speakers to his setup then by all means go with a nice integrated amp.

edit: i thought the OP was talking about the R-S700 ($300) and not the A-S701 ($580).  

• Like 1

Not sure why the OP would be comparing a $1100 HT receiver to a $300 Stereo receiver.  Not exactly apples to apples.  

If he's sure he's never going to add speakers to his setup then by all means go with a nice integrated amp.

So what amp do you recommend in this situation?

53 minutes ago, IMWhizzle said:

So what amp do you recommend in this situation?

This would be mostly based on what features I needed.

The OP hasn't given us much info on his sources so I can't say what inputs he might need.  I.E., does he want to connect a BlueRay player via HDMI?  Most integrated amps don't have HDMI inputs.

Ok, then I'm asking the question for my own situation.

I currently have a Marantz 6010 AVR receiver which I use for (multichannel) hi rez audio, UHD bluray movies and the PlayStation 4.

I have the following from the Klipsch Reference Premiere line:

4x 280 (mains & surrounds)

1x 450 (center obviously)

2x 140 (Dolby enabled Atmos modules)

1x R115 (subwoofer)

I am listening 50% of the time music and watching the rest of the time movies. The sound is phenomenal. But several people told me that a dedicated power amp will improve the mains drastically. Some even advised me to get a multichannel power amp to use the avr as a preamp. A multichannel amp would be my preference in this case, but those are very expensive here in Holland. The Emotiva or Outlaw 5000 aren't available here without huge duty and shipping costs.

So the 2channel amplification is the way to go. I am also planning to add a second Atmos set for the back to achieve 5.1.4

What is the difference between an integrated amp with HT bypass like the Marantz PM7005 compared to the MM7025 for example?

My budget is 1000€ so thats why i am comparing a stereo amp and multi channel avr.if the denon is capable of answering my requests i will go for it without spending any additional money for the stereo amp.

And i will play .flac files from my pc via optical cable.