Critique this setup

Kain

This is what I'm planning for my new home theater. Current home theater setup is listed in my signature.

TV: Sony KD-65A1 (European version of US model Sony XBR-65A1E)

Ultra HD Blu-ray player: OPPO UDP-203

Processor: Anthem AVM 60

Amplifiers: ATI AT543NC (3 x 500 watts Class D for LCR) + ATI AT528NC (8 x 200 watts Class D for surrounds, back surrounds, and ceilings)

Mains: 2 x Klipsch RF-7 III

Center: 1 x Klipsch RC-64 III

Side surrounds: 2 x Klipsch RP-160M

Back surrounds: 2 x Klipsch RP-160M

Ceiling: 4 x Klipsch Pro KPT-801 (have a concrete ceiling and cannot use in-ceiling speakers)

Subwoofer: *continue using my single Seaton Sound SubMersive*

Thanks for the replies.

Last I heard about the release date of the RF-7 III and RC-64 III was fall (or was it Q4?) 2017. Is that still true?

Lastly, will the rest of the Reference Premier line be staying the same even after the release of the RF-7 III/RC-64 III or will there be new models to match? Particularly referring to the RP-160M.

Willand derrick and fuzz all being way too nice and deferential here. 

I call b.s.☺

One sub even if a seaton is not enough for this setup.  None of the gents i listed have one sub.  I dont have one sub.

I dont care what sub you add but you need a minimum of one more.

Im also going to critique 160ms as sides....only if you have a very wide room at least 18feet wide.   I have 160s they are great but take up huge amounts of space.  Rp250s if the room is not very wide, imo.    They are incredible for movies imo.  Any K bipole is amazing imo for side surrounds.

• Like 1

I don't have much criticism for what is certainly a well thought-out setup.

I use a single 15" sub and I like it, and I have also used dual subs.  There are bass heads out there who use multiples of 2, so 2-4-8 or more subs, some 18" or larger.  Personally I don't worry about the second sub unless there is a room null that needs to be smoothed out.  A second sub only adds 3 db to the total sub output. 

@Kain your setup would satisfy 98% of us.  If you wish to step up into the 99% class, all it takes is money.  B)

The only critique I have is you dont have any sound treatment materials listed. Even the best gear wont get close to its potential without at least basic treatment. Some absorption panels strategically placed will go along way depending on how your room is set up and what your significant other will allow.

• Like 3

• Moderators

I'd say that's a pretty incredible setup you are putting together.  One question that has not come up is how large is the room?  Just curious if there is any option to go projection. There's nothing like a HUGE image to match your HUGE sound.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RoboKlipsch said:

I call b.s.☺

Wow, did someone tamper with your Cornflakes?:unsure::P

7 hours ago, RoboKlipsch said:

One sub even if a seaton is not enough for this setup.  None of the gents i listed have one sub.  I dont have one sub.

How can that be determined without knowing the answer below?

6 hours ago, Youthman said:

One question that has not come up is how large is the room?

Bill

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RoboKlipsch said:

I think it was here or avsforum they have videos of the rf7iiis.  Had not heard about the rc64iii that will make the old ones cheap which will be nice.  

Well i'm totally wrong which isn't unusual.  See below for a pic straight from Klipsch.  I don't really care for the black baffle, but i'd like to hear the new horn sometime.  

Reference-III-1.jpg

13 hours ago, RoboKlipsch said:

I call b.s.☺

Im also going to critique 160ms as sides....only if you have a very wide room at least 18feet wide.   I have 160s they are great but take up huge amounts of space.  Rp250s if the room is not very wide, imo.    They are incredible for movies imo.  Any K bipole is amazing imo for side surrounds.

Thanks.

My room is roughly 15 ft long x 12 ft wide x 9.5 ft high. I will add more subwoofers later on as budget permits. As for RP-160M vs. Klipsch bipole surrounds, aren't monopole surrounds recommended for Atmos setups?

One last thing...

In the same room mentioned above, I have my current setup consisting of the 2001-2002 original RF-7s, RC-7, and RS-7. I have to say the imaging of the RF-7s is very poor. It sounds like the sound is coming right out of the speakers and not simply "existing in space". Setup issue or characteristic of the speakers? Will the newer RF-7 IIIs offer better imaging (not sure how we'll know at this stage though)?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, willland said:

Wow, did someone tamper with your Cornflakes?:unsure::P

How can that be determined without knowing the answer below?

Bill

LOL was in a fun mood, not mad :)  

I've had a conversation with each of you at some point so hopefully it was clear I was having fun.

As far as the subs, I can determine easily that unless there is some perfect room out there that I've never seen, a setup like this one will benefit the most from adding another sub....of course the suggestion of treatment is even better but only equally important.

We've got some serious firepower here....massive fronts, a great center, sweet surrounds, it's a big thing!  So he's listening to movies for sure, and no room I have ever seen is "great" with one sub in these situations.  It can be very good, but look at what he's putting together...top everything....one more sub reaches that 90% level that can be achieved with any number of subs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kain said:

Thanks.

My room is roughly 15 ft long x 12 ft wide x 9.5 ft high. I will add more subwoofers later on as budget permits. As for RP-160M vs. Klipsch bipole surrounds, aren't monopole surrounds recommended for Atmos setups?

One last thing...

In the same room mentioned above, I have my current setup consisting of the 2001-2002 original RF-7s, RC-7, and RS-7. I have to say the imaging of the RF-7s is very poor. It sounds like the sound is coming right out of the speakers and not simply "existing in space". Setup issue or characteristic of the speakers? Will the newer RF-7 IIIs offer better imaging (not sure how we'll know at this stage though)?

MLO will know best on this, but I believe they initially suggested monopoles but have since changed and spec'd that bipoles are fine too.

You room is not even as wide as mine...trust me, I have a set of them as fronts (and several other monopoles from Klipsch as surrounds).

The RP-160Ms are BIG.  This will cause significant issues (imo) being able to be far enough away in any side seats  I'll go measure right now how far off the wall my RP160Ms are, mounted on mounts...they are angled, short side is 12" from wall and long side is 15" from wall.  They are REAR ported, making it a necessity to have them off the wall.  

My RS-52iis only need 8" from the wall and are side ported, allowing them to be mounted flush on the walls using the keyhole mount (and a snaptoggle, so those suckers don't fall off!)

Setup and room issue is what I think you are describing.  The speakers need to be a certain distance from many things...each other, walls, furniture, barriers.  And then if the room is not symmetrical, one side can have more issues than the other.  Treatment of a room is imo the most valuable thing one can do to their theater to upgrade.

Right now, before you upgrade, if you go buy the DIY materials to build several bass traps and a few reflection panels, you may be blown away with the improvement.  Especially with what you describe, I highly suggest you share your setup here (perhaps pictures?) as many including YOUTHMAN and Derrickdj have the RF7s and a huge amount of experience setting them up properly.   That can be solved rather easily is my guess, and boy the improvement if you don't have a good sound stage!  It can be as simple as the delays not being properly set, or much more complicated interaction between the speakers and the walls (very likely, you sit near some wall where you hear reflections)...back wall, side wall, just a guess.  Room height is excellent for Atmos and listening in general as it will reduce or eliminate issues with the ceiling/floor.  

• Like 1