SS integrated amps

In the market for a new integrated amp for my Cornwall lll's. 

Im concerned about overpowering them. Not that they can't handle it but I think that due to the efficiency of the speaker they will sound better with a lower powered high quality amp in the 20 to 75 watts per channel range than one in the 100 to 200 range. Like the McIntosh Ma5200 at 100 watts vs the Luxman 550ax at 20 watts per channel. Anybody have any thoughts on this. Cornwalls are in a large room. Probably 30'x20'.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, xi-razorback said:

Im concerned about overpowering them.

First, the only way to overpower them is to twist the volume knob too much.

20 minutes ago, xi-razorback said:

Like the McIntosh Ma5200 at 100 watts vs the Luxman 550ax at 20 watts per channel.

From the looks of it, you have a pretty substantial budget for this endeavor.  Though I have not personally heard any of these two choices, the Luxman 550ax seems to get stellar reviews in every place I have read.

Not sure if these are your only choices but I would also suggest the Yamaha A-S2100 and the A-S3000.

Bill

I read a review of the L-550a ii(previous to the AX) and when they tested the how many watts it put out around 70.  So Luxman underrates their class A int amps.

If you have a large room and listen to concert levels go with the Mac.

I have had Luxman int Amp(L-505f) which was a class AB 100 watts with La Scalas and sounded very good! 

Both are very good int amps.  I think since Luxman is imported from Japan the cost may be more so that may also determine your choice if it matters.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, xi-razorback said:

Im concerned about overpowering them. Not that they can't handle it but I think that due to the efficiency of the speaker they will sound better with a lower powered high quality amp in the 20 to 75 watts per channel range than one in the 100 to 200 range. Like the McIntosh Ma5200 at 100 watts vs the Luxman 550ax at 20 watts per channel. Anybody have any thoughts on this. Cornwalls are in a large room. Probably 30'x20'.

Nothing particularly special about the lower vs higher powered amps.  You just need an amp that meets your needs.  Now, that is the hard question.  It is based on listening habits, listening levels and what you like to listen to.  There are excellent SS and tube amp to considered.  Pick a direction for more detailed suggestions.

• Like 1

Klipsch is efficient but go with an amp with enough headroom and good driving power if you like tighter more controlled better bass.. 80-100 watts of good amplification is a minimum in that sized room..  Myself, I would look at separates for that much area if you are looking in that price range.

So here's what I did. Bought the Mcintosh MA5200 integrated and the mp100 phono preamp. A huge leap into the higher end. Phono stage will be here tomorrow, amp not until Monday...........

Coupled with the above will be my Rega RP3 with an OrtoBlack, OPPO UPD205 and the Cornwall lll's.

• Like 3

• Moderators
On 7/17/2017 at 1:38 PM, HDBRbuilder said:

1975-era H/K 930 twin-powered receiver...has great tuner, too!  Get one, get it refurbished (if needed), and never look back.  Its CONSERVATIVELY-rated 45 WPC will surprise you!  Your Cornwalls will LOVE IT!

You're right my Cornwalls love it, don't use the tuner but love the receiver, plenty of power.