Receiver recommendation - new RP setup for HT

Damaged1

Greetings all - new user here, new Klipsch owner as well.

Finishing a new home build, and wanted to get a solid mid-range HT setup for the family room. It's a large, open concept floor plan with the back and right side of the room being open to the main floor (~1,200 ft2 total open space on the main floor). I have been more into higher end car audio in the past, and have typically gone with the better options of the low range of HT setups to this point. For example, I've been running a ~$400 Denon and ~$400 JBL 5.1 setup the last 8 years or so. Have previously owned Kenwood, Sony, Yamaha, and Denon receivers, but all were the $200-$400 range models. Decided to pull the trigger on the new Klipsch-based HT setup for the new house, as I have always liked the presence and power they deliver - most other speaker sets I have heard sound a bit mellow for my tastes.

Speakers in this build: (2) RP-280F, (1) RP-450C, (2) CDT-5800-C II, (1) R-115SW

(Got excellent deals on these at Fry's - 30% off on all but the ceiling speakers)

Intended use of system: Single room 5.1 (bi-amped fronts) for use with primarily movies (including 4K) Xfinity, Blu-ray, and via various streaming services. Also for use with Xbox One and occasionally music (Android devices). Tend to go with action/sci-fi oriented movies, various games, and music from Metallica and Volbeat to Fleetwood Mac.

Features I care about (so far - still getting educated on options): Ability to bi-amp the fronts, 4K up-convert, clean and dynamic power and headroom to properly drive the new speakers with a "movie theater like" presence, quality digital to analogue up-convert, power and flexibility in the DSP department (setup, room correction, EQ, etc.). Bluetooth connectivity, and any Android specific features (Chromecast options would be a nice added touch).

Features I am less concerned with: Not concerned about the size or weight, don't need anything Apple or wireless sound. I do not need onboard streaming in the receiver (lots of ways to stream already via accessories).

Current price range: $800-$1,200 (though I do like the prices on the refurbs, and would consider that route)

Models that seem to look good so far: Marantz SR5011, Pioneer Elite SC-LX501

For now I am in research mode, and plan to make a trip to the nearest Magnolia Design Center in the next week or so as well. Still a month out from completing the new house, so I have time to look. Open to suggestions and recommendations based on the above, and also to any thoughts on other features I should consider. Also looking for feedback on dealing with the likes of Accessories4Less for refurbs or open box options to either reduce the receiver budget or stretch it up to the next level of models.

Appreciate any help and advice!

• Like 2

Damaged1,

Welcome to the forum.

Nice speaker setup.

I would go with a 1.5 to 3 year old flagship AVR if you do not need/want Atmos.

32 minutes ago, Damaged1 said:

Also looking for feedback on dealing with the likes of Accessories4Less for refurbs or open box options to either reduce the receiver budget or stretch it up to the next level of models.

Myself and many on this forum have been very pleased with them.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamrxa3030bl/yamaha-rx-a3030-9.2-ch-x-150-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

Bill

Thank you both Gents...and good thought on going with a slightly older flagship unit. I am not doing Atmos at this time, and possibly not at all for the foreseeable future, so that may well be answer.

I had not really leaned towards Yamaha, mostly based on an old perception of being underwhelmed with a previous Yamaha receiver I owned (which was a low-end unit ~20 years ago) and the resultant tendency for me to associate them with with WalMart or lower end Best Buy quality. Obviously they are heavy hitters in this segment and must be doing something right, so I'm not totally against them (especially the flagship model). Always been a sucker for the slightly off center brands though...used to run Linear Power amps in my cars back in the 80's - good stuff.

44 minutes ago, Damaged1 said:

I had not really leaned towards Yamaha, mostly based on an old perception of being underwhelmed with a previous Yamaha receiver I owned (which was a low-end unit ~20 years ago) and the resultant tendency for me to associate them with with WalMart or lower end Best Buy quality. Obviously they are heavy hitters in this segment and must be doing something right, so I'm not totally against them (especially the flagship model).

The Yamaha was the first one that caught my eye when I clicked on the A4Less site.  Didn't really have time to add multiple links.

A few more to consider.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/intdtr703/integra-dtr-70.3-9.2-ch-x-140-watts-thx-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html#!specifications

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx4300h/denon-avr-x4300h-9.2-ch-x-125-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/intdtr605/integra-dtr-60.5-9.2-ch-x-135-watts-thx-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html#!more

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/onktxrz900/onkyo-tx-rz900-7.2-ch-x-140-watts-thx-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

50 minutes ago, Damaged1 said:

Always been a sucker for the slightly off center brands though.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/cambcxr120bla/cambridge-audio-cxr120-7.2-ch-x-60-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html#!specifications

Bill

Ive owned Yamaha for over 30 years now, still have a top of the line then 1050. It took a lightning strike through antenna or cable, not sure and the only thing that blew was the FM. Very durable gear and sounded great. Ive since upgraded a few times. I now own a 3020 top of the line a couple of years ago. Year before Atmos. I now want Atmos and may be looking to sell, not sure. The newer ones have a different DAC and im no fan Burr-Browns rule!! Well, I like Wilfsons too. 

Anyway, the Yamahas have all the bells and whistles but the do Apple as well. Love the app that Yamaha hes for their gear. Very intuitive and easy to use.

Im rambling, just wanted to throw my two cents in. I Like Yamaha if you haven't picked up on that! Bahahahahaha!

Welcome to the forum

4 hours ago, willland said:

The Yamaha was the first one that caught my eye when I clicked on the A4Less site.  Didn't really have time to add multiple links.

Wasn't complaining by any means...I appreciate the insight and recommendation of models I had not considered!

Will dig into the specs on these a bit and see how they look...but I can say I really want to like the Cambridge Audio unit. The only drawbacks I can see (and had found this in other research) is lack of Bluetooth and no room setup/EQ on the unit. Also, it appears to not support 2.0a...I do plan on getting a new QLED tv in the next year - am I correct in thinking this would be an impedance to my video signal? But that CA unit is sexy...

4 hours ago, novisnick said:

I Like Yamaha if you haven't picked up on that! Bahahahahaha!

Welcome to the forum

Like-age of Yamaha duly noted! Good to hear from someone who has owned the upper end of the spectrum from them...appreciate the welcome as well!

44 minutes ago, Boilermaker86 said:

Looks like accessories 4 less has a bit of everything ! 

Indeed it does...

21 minutes ago, fuzzydog said:

I just bought my Denon 6300 from these guys and its indistinguishable from new.

I'm always in for stretching my $$ to get better gear...thanks for the feedback!

If you aren't interested in Atmos, here is a great receiver. I own four of them and I have never heard another receiver come close as far as sound quality. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sherbourn-SR120-7-1-Channel-175-Watt-Receiver-Incredible-sound-Hardly-used-/232314962703?epid=113575078&hash=item36170d030f:g:1cMAAOSwVm5ZASt~

He's been relisting this for a while now so I would say throw a low ball offer at him. 73 lbs and built like a tank. I really can't tell a difference between these Sherbourn receivers and my Emotiva XPA-2 and XPA-5 amps mated to a pre/pro.

Tim

12 hours ago, teaman said:

If you aren't interested in Atmos, here is a great receiver.

Much appreciated on the link...not sure I am comfortable enough with what I am doing in this world of equipment just yet to go for an ebay find. Looks like a killer unit though!

• Like 1