Cornwall III vs. Forte III

GreenGoose

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, Horn-player said:

In this case Forte III easily wins, since it has much greater than KI-396-SMA-II WAF, and goes deeper (38 Hz vs. 60 Hz)

I would say the Forte lll wins, now the 396 was made for a dealer here (Cory) without the fly points which makes it look better but I don't know if a normal option ? To me the 60Hz does not sound right, it sure sounds like it's lower. But the Forte 3 is cheaper and sounds great, the 396 would beat it in a huge room, huge as in bigger than inside a house.

In your room "I" would easily pick the Forte lll, as far as behind the screen, I don't know I have never had a screen to go through. :o But I doubt you would need any of the models designed for that, they are designed to go through the screen and project a very long way into a theater. To me it would be a bit much for a home theater. If you have a screen to go through and end up with Forte's try one behind the screen to see how it sounds, I think you would be surprised.

20 minutes ago, Horn-player said:

Ah-h Jubilee's, the impossible dream... 

Not impossible just tough, I couldn't do it to be honest so I went a little cheaper route.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

I've been deliberating on the CW III vs Forte III if I decided to buy something new versus building the Belle's I've talked about what seems like forever.  There's a dealer in Hot Springs where I can hear the CW III and Forte III side by side to compare and it's only an hour and a half drive.  Problem is, there's always something going on on the weekends to take the 1.5 hour trip to do that.  There's an allure to opening a new pair of speakers up and just using them without having to repair panels, swap caps, brace the cabinets, etc., etc.  But then there's that  other part of me that enjoys building things and tinkering although it's a lot tougher doing those things at 51 (almost) versus in my 20's, 30's, and even 40's.  I had contemplated RF7 II's as well but they seem to need to be waaayyyy out from the wall because of the rear ports.  That didn't work with KLF-30's in my living room as they sounded like a$$ in the low end and I didn't want them sitting out a foot from the wall.  So, they went away.

The speakers will be about 7 feet apart (inside edge to inside edge), I sit about 11 feet back on center, the left speaker is about 3 feet from a side wall and the right speaker has about 12 feet before it sees a solid surface.  You know...open living room plan with an opening to back bedrooms, etc.  Hopefully next summer, we'll be in a new house and I'll have my separate audio only room and I won't be in this predicament.

1 minute ago, Tony Whitlow said:

Both my sisters have houses with “open concept” rooms. No way to put any kind of audio rig in them. My room is 19’X25’. Kinda of on the small size but my LaScalas and Heresys fill it well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. Rooms that have open floor plans are the worst for a high end rig. Dedicated rooms, or at least a room with four adjoining walls are the best.

I wouldn't call a 19 x 25 room small.

Shakey

19 hours ago, Patricio said:

Hello Everybody. I just want to say, I'm happy with my Forte III .... Greetings from Chile!

myset.jpg

You've got a nice set of HPM-100's there too.  Was it difficult to get the Forte's?  Is there a dealer there, or did you have to have them shipped from a United States dealer?

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 10/8/2017 at 11:41 AM, dtel said:

Considering you said small and in this case about the same size as a Forte lll I would have to say KI-396-SMA-II, amazing speaker.

Now I have not heard all the PRO stuff but have heard the 396 alot, it's one of my favorites. Not cheap and considering the price I would pick the Forte lll, since you said smaller spaces

You already know I agree, but then again I am biased.... Or am I....?   I have owned Cornwall IIIs, Forte IIIs and currently the 396s.   If I couldn't have these 396s (almost sold em to free up cash for other life's callings), Cornwall III would be my first choice.   

20190117_143243.jpg

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 5:12 PM, dtel said:

I would say the Forte lll wins, now the 396 was made for a dealer here (Cory) without the fly points which makes it look better but I don't know if a normal option ? To me the 60Hz does not sound right, it sure sounds like it's lower. But the Forte 3 is cheaper and sounds great, the 396 would beat it in a huge room, huge as in bigger than inside a house.

In your room "I" would easily pick the Forte lll, as far as behind the screen, I don't know I have never had a screen to go through. :o But I doubt you would need any of the models designed for that, they are designed to go through the screen and project a very long way into a theater. To me it would be a bit much for a home theater. If you have a screen to go through and end up with Forte's try one behind the screen to see how it sounds, I think you would be surprised.

Not impossible just tough, I couldn't do it to be honest so I went a little cheaper route.

Just humbly? speaking to this re-bout ...would  agree from a semi-limited opinion to agree, on the venue size given an ability to resolve the plus/minus 3db correction to agree, that the Pro may well outperform perceptually the 3..in the lower end.

Having said as much, agree on the Forte's satisfaction derived from the lower end number...interesting yet somehow...cool enough,

in a smaller size environment t.

12 minutes ago, billybob said:

that the Pro may well outperform perceptually the 3..in the lower end.

Indeed it does IMO. Bass is much tighter and more musical than in the Forte IIIs.   No they do not extend deeply, but they bass they have is quite satisfactory.   The Forte IIIs require time and patience to set them up properly as well.   I find the detail, dynamics and balance in the 396s superior as well (there's a catch).   In my room, they don't start to work their magic until at around 80 db.   They are NOT the champion of low volumes. I am OK with that.  I can use a smudge of EQ at low volumes when needed and bypass it when I don't, problem solved.   

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Indeed it does IMO. Bass is much tighter and more musical than in the Forte IIIs.   No they do not extend deeply, but they bass they have is quite satisfactory.   The Forte IIIs require time and patience to set them up properly as well.   I find the detail, dynamics and balance in the 396s superior as well (there's a catch).   In my room, they don't start to work their magic until at around 80 db.   They are NOT the champion of low volumes. I am OK with that.  I can use a smudge of EQ at low volumes when needed and bypass it when I don't, problem solved.   

On second thought, although outperforming perceptually all that may be required for a given task such as a larger venue, it well may still come down to ...purpose built. Pro given the purpose almost pre-supposes other or, the other. What say you drummer, or one who may have been live? No offense intended, as not aware of your personals...

Not aware of your experiences... in music. Thanks...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, billybob said:

On second thought, although outperforming perceptually all that may be required for a given task such as a larger venue, it well may still come down to ...purpose built. Pro given the purpose almost pre-supposes other or, the other. What say you drummer, or one who may have been live? No offense intended, as not aware of your personals...

Not aware of your experiences... in music. Thanks...

I have no idea what you are trying to say here.   Sounds like you are trying to say that klipsch "pro" gear is only meant for said "pro" applications, which Roy who designs both would quickly shoot down.   He did a HELL of a job on the 396s. I bought them blind (well actually blind and deaf) and am tickled with my purchase.   

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

I have no idea what you are trying to say here.   Sounds like you are trying to say that klipsch "pro" gear is only meant for said "pro" applications, which Roy who designs both would quickly shoot down.   He did a HELL of a job on the 396s. I bought them blind (well actually blind and deaf) and am tickled with my purchase.   

Not alone there in knowing what I may mean , however still no offense. Spell it out as, I take no hombrege at neither the Forte, Cornwall3 or any pro ear, certainly.

18 minutes ago, billybob said:
  • And, btw, @Westcoastdrums on another topic maybe, why do you shutdown at midnight? Would like to see you guys speak to us other folks from time to time...do not think alone I nn  this and congrats on your upcomings...

I get up for work at 0430.   If I stay up late, I am usually out with friends and not on my phone when doing so. Thank you for the congrats sir! 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, billybob said:

You may consider that I have agreed with Mr. Delgado's design input into the forte" It is just abit not surprising that we are not somehow on similar. page. Yet, that is what it is about, yes?

Haha I haven't had any cocktails tonight but I have a little trouble following exactly what you say from time to time.   It is your dictation me thinks that invites one to decipher a meaning that may or may not be what you are intending to state.  I'll say we agree based on your last couple statements 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, klipschhornfan said:

Would you recommend F III or CW III for listening room size 13" x 12"?  I'm concerned the passive radiators of F III may need more breathing room from the back wall and my room may not be deep enough.  Thanks.

I would say the Heresy III would be a better fit for such a room. Maybe a small sub, if need be.

Shakey

• 2 years later...
On 7/19/2017 at 12:06 AM, Woofers and Tweeters said:

Without hearing both..at the same time. I am trolling without a motor but I am willing to learn. 

I have had a few sets of Forte I and II. I have, happily, moved them all over rooms to find their 'home' spot. When right, the Forte can produce a full sound stage, < that means a lot. The Forte used to dig deeper than the Cornwall (AND, all other Klipsch) and the Cornwall never was known for their overpowering mids. 

Deepening the bass, correcting the mids and sharpening the highs with Ti, should make Cornwalls ready to school the Forte3 ..and many others.

Chorus II VS Chornwall3, anyone?  

I wanted to do the same comparison, as I have Cornwall 3's so I picked up a pair of Chorus 2's about 150 miles from home about 6 weeks ago.  My hope was that in my smallish room the Chorus 2's would do the job and free up some space for me, and that I'd sell the Cornwalls and pocket some $$.  Well, after a week of back and forth it was clear that the Cornwalls were the keepers. More present, more feel. It's got to be those massive cabinets.  Not that the Chorus 2's weren't really good, they just were not going to be the keepers for me. I found a new owner for the Chorus 2's locally who had been wanting a pair for a long time and he's happy too.

• Like 1