Do I Need a Power Amp?

fuzzydog

I recently upgraded to a pre/pro with balanced outputs. Oddly enough, it turns out my Emotiva XPA-5 has a terrible hum that is caused by using the balanced inputs so I swapped back over to the trusty old RCA connections.

I hate hums in my system and have dealt with my fair share of them over the years. Some of the more uncommon, harder to find sources include, Y splitters, female to female connectors and generally speaking all RCA connections. Sometimes just turning the RCA connector 1/4 will fix the problem. After that I start unplugging components / accessories one at a time.

• Like 1

Just when I was ready to give up I decided to try swapping out the RCA cables and bingo!, the buzz volume dropped substantially.  I'm now a happy camper :D.

I was using Mediabridge cables and I swapped them for some old Auvio cables from RadioShack.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'd like to add that the position of my rca cables makes a big difference in the "buzz".  I've pulled my console out from the wall a few times and depending on the arrangement of wires when it's pushed back in, the buzz can return.  

As as you can imagine, it's a rats nest back there running a 7.2.4 setup with a separate 5ch amp and a DIY sub with its own amp.  

1 hour ago, fuzzydog said:

I'd like to add that the position of my rca cables makes a big difference in the "buzz".  I've pulled my console out from the wall a few times and depending on the arrangement of wires when it's pushed back in, the buzz can return.  

As as you can imagine, it's a rats nest back there running a 7.2.4 setup with a separate 5ch amp and a DIY sub with its own amp.  

you want to dress the signal cables as far away as possible from line voltage. If you must have signal crossing the line do so at rt. angles for minimum interaction. shielded power cords will also help matters.

• 4 weeks later...