Another Busted Rubber Story

derrickdj1

Today I was watching a couple of demo clips.  I threw in Edge of Tomorrow to check out the opening scene.  I noticed on my Marty Cube, the cone was really moving, almost flapping.  I stopped the demo and switched on the lights.  The cone has no tears but, the gasket(rubber) appears to separated from the metal frame/ring.  No other mechanical damage can be seen on the UM 18-22.

I called Parts Express and they said use python or gorilla glue to glue it back down to the ring and wait 6-12 hours before use.  If this does not work, they will replace it.

20170717_165319.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, USNRET said:

Another Busted Rubber Story

I thought this was another story about Jim's conception.

Nope, not me, I think it's someone in NorCal.

Actually, I believe that's what the fish look like now around the Fukushima plant these days...Light em up, they don't care....

Now that I'm pushing 60, I can laugh at a  good broken rubber story.

I have heard that the UM's prefer a sealed enclosure. There is a little too much excursion with ported ones.  I have two, one ported and one not. No problem with either but I get the feeling you get carried away more often than I do.

• Like 1

Carl, this is a first for me.  I am going to use a heavy duty rubber adhesive to re-glue the rubber trim.  If it does not work, I will ship it back.   may end up without one sub for awhile since the UM 18 is pretty much sold out when you go to the site.  I am in no rush and won't even miss it for the most part.

21 minutes ago, derrickdj1 said:

Carl, this is a first for me.  I am going to use a heavy duty rubber adhesive to re-glue the rubber trim.  If it does not work, I will ship it back.   may end up without one sub for awhile since the UM 18 is pretty much sold out when you go to the site.  I am in no rush and won't even miss it for the most part.

I've seen the glue let go at the spider as well.  That was a bad glue issue also.  Actually it's more of a lack of adhesion issue caused by not prepping the materials correctly.

• Like 1

Th

The surrounds have be glued back with Lock Tite super glue and it appears to be working.  Just ran a bunch of demo scene at MV 0.  The sub is fine but, now will do a quick check of the rest of the house before the wife get's home.:emotion-21:

9 hours ago, derrickdj1 said:

The surrounds have be glued back with Lock Tite super glue and it appears to be working.

:emotion-21: Good choice sticking with the acrylic. I'd have avoided the Gorilla Glue recommendation (a polyurethane) which exhibits relatively poor adhesion to metals/very smooth surfaces.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Quiet_Hollow said:

:emotion-21: Good choice sticking with the acrylic. I'd have avoided the Gorilla Glue recommendation (a polyurethane) which exhibits relatively poor adhesion to metals/very smooth surfaces.

That stuff swells as well.  I'm not a fan, there's plenty of other stuff out there.