Thouroughly impressed!

Boilermaker86

So I spread out my front speakers and re ran audysee...I'm impressed! 

I ran all 8 positions covering my living room and cannot believe how good it sounds! I remember haveing trouble where sometimes the back speakers would be too quiet or the front too loud. Seems like by using all 8 poisons it got a great idea how my room is and it all seems to be in perfect balance. Going to be putting A1UC's blu rays to good use soon. 

IMG_7949.JPG

• Like 3

7 hours ago, jjptkd said:

looks nice, congrats! A little surprised the sub isn't in the corner but maybe it doesn't need to be?

In the corner, the sub turns into a boom box and not in a good way. Maybe because of the big rear port on it. I had an issue like that with the speakers too since they are rear ported. Once I move it further from the wall, it was much better. 

I was surprised with how much the RF82s fill the room when they are further apart. With the Synergy F3 speakers, I had to move them closer to the center speaker to get it to sound good.  The weak point of the old system that lead me to upgrade was that center speaker and noticed a big difference in clarity in dialogue. Little by little I'm hearing more and more impressive differences. It is key for placement with these where the synergy line it didn't make much of a difference.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, derrickdj1 said:

The diameter of the port is the minimal distance from the wall for placement of a subwoofer.  A little experimentation will help find the best spot.  Are the speakers set to small or large?

Good to know about the diameter, they are all about 2 ft away from the wall so plenty of distance now. 

As as for the speakers, the center is set to 70hz, surround and rears at 80hz and the front I seem to go between fullband or 60hz set to small.

I know it is recommended to have the fronts small, but when I have them at fullband, it seems to have its benefits. I feel like it evens the bass across the whole front stage and gives it this extra punch like being in the movie theater. I almost feel like since audysee always sets them to fullband their algorithm must account for that in the bass management. When I change it to small and 60hz, it is a lot less bass. I've experimented with small  and then bumping up the bass on the sub in the receiver settings. Sometimes that just makes my sub rattle and not necessarily add more bass but just feels like it is set too high. Of course the perfect solution is a second sub...eventually. 

Currently, after this last run of audysee, I just left it at fullband. After running the 8 positions it seemed to balance everything out perfectly.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RoboKlipsch said:

great job congrats.  

You are the one to thank....I took the idea of having the couch in the middle you told me and applied it to running audysee. I set the mic in the middle where the couch ideally should be placed. Then, ran a position to the right and left. Then did another three positions in front and two positions in back utilizing all 8 positions.  Now the sound seems to fill the room and I don't know how to describe it but maybe bounce off the walls better or something.

I was initially wondering about upgrading my receiver to a Marantz but I feel the 805 still does such a great job. That thing is a freaking tank. Maybe instead I'll upgrade the subwoofer or tv next. I was thing of either getting a second Sub 12 or getting the new klipsch R-115sw or maybe an LG OLED tv.

A movie theater has massive damping that reduces reverb to inaudible in a loud theater.

At home your room is small and has no damping.  Audyssey outlines an area to optimize using the 8 positions and moreso than just flat response it reduces the amount of time each frequency lingers to as flat as possible.

a few acoustic panels added to your room will have an equal if not greater effect as Audyssey...and they can be combined for a theater like experience.  

When you guys were talking about moving the couch do you mean run the mic on the couch where it is or moving the couch out of the way and placing the mic where the couch would be... just curious as my couches in the middle also but I ran the Odyssey Mike with the couch where it is now

• Like 1

You can't move anything like the couch.   This will make the measurements invalid.  This is an important place for the OP to stop and analyze the current situation on room correction programs.  Each have their own pluses and minuses.  One thing I value is the tweak ability after auto EQ.  Otherwise, you are stuck.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, xo705cf said:

When you guys were talking about moving the couch do you mean run the mic on the couch where it is or moving the couch out of the way and placing the mic where the couch would be... just curious as my couches in the middle also but I ran the Odyssey Mike with the couch where it is now

What I noticed is my couches are against the walls and when I ran audyssey, I would put the mic on the right side with the right couch in the three positions and then some in the back. Didn't seem right with the sound. Seemed to down play the surrounds too much.  So what I did is put the mic in the middle of the room, then to the right and left. Then moved it in front where the end of the couch was and did 3 more, then two more in the back. This seemed to not favor the front or back and everything seems balanced now. Pretty much I used the area rug as a guide and captured the whole area, middle, front and back. I included a picture of the back of the room so you can see what I'm working with.

IMG_7260.JPG

3 minutes ago, RoboKlipsch said:

try it where your ears are about a foot in front of the side surrounds.  surrounds are fine...it is the couch!

ignore the other couch for testing purposes

That's exactly where I put it and that is what made the big difference. Put the mic where I felt the ideal place for the couch would be and it made a huge diffence. That's why I was saying you gave me that idea and it worked great. 

OK cool, I guess I wasn't fully comprehending it.   I thought you were asking why it didn't sound good at the back.

Surrounds are very flexible in positioning...but in reality, they sound much better properly placed.  Yours look perfect to me for that room.

• Like 1

Sorry, my point was really more about audyssey and how if the mic is too close to any one speaker it really makes a difference. Like if the mic was too close to the front speakers, then the front sound stage would be quiet. Then if you had the mic too close to the back speakers, they would be too quite and the front too loud.  It seemed to do this to me frequently running just the minimum 3 positions. So I feel after all 8 positions making sure not to be too close to the front or back speakers but capture the whole area, it finally made the front and back balance in loudness. Hope that made sense.

But the back speakers where they are really remind me of the IMAX theater. It creates this corner of sound...just like you see in the IMAX theater that giant speaker in the corner. I was watching Texas Chainsaw Massacre the remake and when they were in the barn and the kid is making noise and it comes out of the surround  left and surround back speakers, its amazing how they work together to make this perfect sound. I was so surprised how well they work in that location. 

Really the only thing I need next sound wise is to update the sub 12 to a R-115sw  to match the reference set up.