how do you get motivated? I need tips.

BigStewMan

At the  'Orientation' at the CTC last fall I filed out probably 14 pages of Q & A about my entire life. After that an RN asks probably 100 questions about your answers and taps them into the computer. She asks what stresses I have in my life and I respond 'none, absolutely no stress whatsoever'. She looks up and asks me what I mean by that. So I tell her.

Over the 8 months I tell no one of my condition. The immediate family knows of course but I felt like no one needed the burden or the words to say if I shared. What do you say? I didn't want to talk about it. Except for my sister-in-law. I talked to her often. She offered words of encouragement and I just generally enjoy BSing with her. She's almost as full of $hit as I am.

A few months ago we're talking and she asks me about a problem she's having with her computer. I told her I knew nothing about computers. I still use a piece of slate and a chisel, which is close to the truth. Anyway, thinking later I think of our conversations and that she was genuinely concerned for me. I thought that I could in fact help her as she had helped me. So I go and buy her a new laptop.

I thought she was not going to accept it. I told her that I never forget someone that voluntarily helps me and that I wanted to do something for her, just as she had helped me.

She loves her new laptop.

Keith

• Like 3

Since I no longer have a truck I am unable to transport large items. The jealous new computer husband has helped me on several occasions hauling patio furniture, storage racks for the garage and the like. Another trip in the morning. I'll just stay up for that.

I dropped by the other day and he was pressure washing his driveway. He drops whatever he may be doing to help me. I noticed he didn't have a surface cleaner. He'll have one in a few days.

I've never depended on anyone in my life. It's hard to drop the independent life and accept help from others. I'm working on it. I never forget when someone voluntarily helps me.

Get up off dat a$$ Stew and help yourself. I'll help you anyway I can.

Keith

• Like 3

Anyone ever been in a similar situation? If so, how did you get out of it?

Learn your area by getting out and exploring. Start with a small area/perimeter and work your way out. When you get tired, go back home to chill, and recharge while putting one of those guitars to good use.

Too many guitars to choose from, no problem give me one.

Whatever it is you like to do, search for those things or similar in your area/town/city/county/state.

We know where you were, but now, where are you at, and what do you like to do?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

• Like 2

"Smoking cigarettes and watching Captain Kangaroo.....now don't tell me I've nothing to do"

Steve you could bop over here to the east coast and visit awhile.  I could introduce you to grits and collards. 

What is that physics principle "a body at rest tends to stay at rest.....a body in motion tends to stay in motion.

Seriously it sounds like a case of situational depression.  Exercise is a good alternative to medication.  And no I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn express last night if you're wondering.

You have my number.....call if you want.  We can chat!

• Like 5

You clearly have a passion for playing guitar. Have you ever thought of teaching someone to play? I bet there are adults or kids in your area that would love to learn. Teaching and passing on knowledge is an incredible gift. Also allows you to meet new people in a new city.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Derrick said:

You clearly have a passion for playing guitar. Have you ever thought of teaching someone to play? I bet there are adults or kids in your area that would love to learn. Teaching and passing on knowledge is an incredible gift. Also allows you to meet new people in a new city.

Excellent idea.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, juniper said:

3 or 4 shots of wheat grass, then make some juice 1/2 head of kale, 6 cups of spinach, swiss chard, 5 carrots, 5 green apples.....it will change your chemistry...

Isn't this what they give ya before a colonoscopy:)

• Like 1

@BigStewMan Saw that all of these good folks have offered varying kinds of wisdom, genuinely hoping to help. I hope today is better.

I'll offer from a different angle. Ever had a reset losing yourself inside a movie? If I didn't have the bucks for a road trip or another half at the time it was actually therapeutic.

How `bout a whimsical, off the cuff, incredible music throughout, stacked with good actors & actresses movie. I don't even think there is one cuss-word in it. "Moonrise Kingdom" is the name of it.

@T2K you're a f'n trooper, hat's off to ya. Good Luck. Your "Customer Service" flying right over his head reminded me of this flic.

• Like 2

Thanks JohnJ. I'm a regular old guy that's put up with a lot of $hit. It's all in the attitude. I try to reject things that affect my happiness. BigStew is in a funk but he's a tuff guy. I was just trying to motivate him by telling him how bad things can be. We all should count our blessings more often.

Keith

• Like 3

@T2K

You got it, trying to throw something completely different out there that would make for a better evening. It has a character named "Social Services" she is a trip.

That's how I learned at some 8:00 places. One Day At A Time.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sputnik said:

As corny as it sounds, I am most inspired by the love of a very fine woman.

Lucky man you are. maybe someday i’ll find someone crazy enough to finish life with me ... my “super” crazy years are behind me -- i’m way more tame than i once was.

• Like 5

Thanks for all the advice guys.  I knew that an opinionated bunch like yourselves wouldn’t let me down.

If i gave the impression that i was complaining about my life then i did a lousy job at communicating. I’m SO very blessed that i can’t even count all my blessings. Seriously.

Like Richie said, two life-changing events happening at the same time. 

I’ve learnt one thing about myself thus far ... i was way more fast-paced than i realized ... and i was pretty laid back for a SoCal guy. 

Los Angeles, Hollywood, my old haunts in the OC are visible every time i turn on the television. I get an email or text from a friend asking how the music is coming along and i can’t just meet up for lunch and discuss it. Nothing that anyone else hasn’t experienced when they’ve moved far away.  For reasons that I won’t bore you with, I’ve bounced around a lot of places in my life and always wanted a place to call home. That crazy madness of SoCal is where i lived the longest and is the closest thing that i have to a “home.”  Yes, i was burnt out. Yes, I wanted the change and Yes, now i have the change. When i told a friend that i was moving he asked “why there?”  I said, “because it’s not here.” And he said, “yeah; but, when you get there, you’ll still be there.”  He knew me well, he knew I was trying to escape, So maybe this seclusion will turn out for the best. I’ve got a lot of projects that are unfinished and I have to learn to start liking myself again.

Thank God that at least there is a Del Taco up here!

• Like 5