how do you get motivated? I need tips.

BigStewMan

• Moderators
On 7/18/2017 at 3:51 PM, BigStewMan said:

I’m in a funk and i want to get out of it. 

Just moved to a place that i’ve never lived and don’t know a soul (except for my brother that made the adventure with me).  

He’s back to work and meeting people and he was always a mountain guy moreso than i am.

I’m doing absolutely nothing. 

I have a venture that i should be working on; but, i’m not. 

I have nearly a dozen guitars that aren’t being played. 

I’m not opposed to working again; but, I don’t have to work to survive. 

This move put me in a rut. 

When you can live comfortably without working--motivation to do stuff has to come from somewhere else. 

I will admit that quite a few times, I’ve felt homesick. I’m fine when my brother has the day off and we go off exploring and i’ve done some exploring on my own too. But, when i see the city of Los Angeles or the Beaches or the OC on television, and i know exactly where things are and, i will admit, there is lot more available to do there than here, it is putting me in a bit of a funk.

Anyone ever been in a similar situation? If so, how did you get out of it?

Don't really see a problem here, you must be doing what you want, which is nothing, If not do something.

It might not be a funk, it's just the freedom of not being required to do anything you don't want to, a little scarey at first but you will get use to it, you're still very new at it. Then you can start doing things you want to, just because you can, you have no one to answer to. 

You can't possibly expect to be making a change this big and not feel like something's a little off, IT IS OFF, it's nothing like you have done for years in a place completely different. But positive changes, by normal standards anyway, give it time, something you now have to spare. Relax 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Too secluded?  Not enough hustle and bustle?

What keeps you from moving again (or back to where you were)?

Yes to your questions. Nothing stopping me, except I want to give this place a chance. Plus, my brother was willing to quit his job to come up here with me, so I’d feel like a jerk moving immediately. Maybe I’ll end up liking it, maybe not. Time will tell. 

3 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Common sense.

what is that? 

Just now, BigStewMan said:

Yes to your questions. Nothing stopping me, except I want to give this place a chance. Plus, my brother was willing to quit his job to come up here with me, so I’d feel like a jerk moving immediately. Maybe I’ll end up liking it, maybe not. Time will tell. 

I tried the country life before.  That's when I learned I was built for city life.  You indicated you're a people person, so if you aren't getting out and making some friends, that's at least what you should be doing.

Speaking of seclusion... I always thought a completely deserted beautiful beach would be nice. But it's not. Maybe under certain circumstances it would have been nice. I can think of a few. Hummm .....

I LOVE seclusion, as long as it’s close to a city. :D

I think my expectations are just unrealistic.  I was talking with my brother while we were out doing some errands today. I told him i like the mountains and i like the city. My problem is that i want them both at the same time. When i’m in the city, i want the mountains; when i’m in the mountains, i want the city. 

I have a guitar on order; but, won’t arrive until September. Maybe I’ll have to get another one now (one can’t have too many guitars, i tell myself). I’m seeing all kinds of “Christmas in July” movies on television, so i may as well buy myself a summer Christmas present. that should cheer me up.

• Like 6

48 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

I think my expectations are just unrealistic.  I was talking with my brother while we were out doing some errands today. I told him i like the mountains and i like the city. My problem is that i want them both at the same time. When i’m in the city, i want the mountains; when i’m in the mountains, i want the city. 

I have a guitar on order; but, won’t arrive until September. Maybe I’ll have to get another one now (one can’t have too many guitars, i tell myself). I’m seeing all kinds of “Christmas in July” movies on television, so i may as well buy myself a summer Christmas present. that should cheer me up.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

For the time being, I'm still a fan of Portland. Vibrant city separated by only 1 hour from either the mountain(s) or the Pacific.

You could start the first Del Taco franchise in the city...

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, mungkiman said:

For the time being, I'm still a fan of Portland. Vibrant city separated by only 1 hour from either the mountain(s) or the Pacific.

You could start the first Del Taco franchise in the city...

only a couple hours drive from I think.  I’m definitely going to check out that town this summer. 

Saw your post earlier and did not have time to reply.  We share some similarities in that I too moved to 'smallville' from So. Cal.  I feel a similar nostalgic 'tug' when I view the olde haunts, etc on media.  The key is to remind yourself of the new adventure you're on...............  the one you chose or was chosen for you.  You are not stagnant.  You are relevant where ever you are.  You have assets to offer others and they to you.  Calif................   well you lived there for sometime and you can go back and visit.  But keep your perspective...........   the bigger perspective.  YOU are in control of YOU.............   so relax and enjoy the new rides, the new places and new (and often strange/quaint) peoples.  There is only one place I want to revisit in So Cal..............  the beaches in Venice and Santa Monica.  The rest is traffic and smog and HORDES of people.  Now I have truly blue skies, watch osprey hunt out my back window and I've met some real characters.  Life's good everywhere.  Really.

• Like 5

• Moderators
9 hours ago, oscarsear said:

Life's good everywhere.  Really.

It really is BSM, this is your first stop, it may not end up to be a permanent stop, who knows. But probably a good place for a while while you adjust, you may end up living outside of a big city, or mountains who knows ?

I would think the city you just left is not a normal big city, I would think it may take a little while to unwind from living in one of the busiest cities in the US.  

You're better than me I couldn't handle it. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, oscarsear said:

Saw your post earlier and did not have time to reply.  We share some similarities in that I too moved to 'smallville' from So. Cal.  I feel a similar nostalgic 'tug' when I view the olde haunts, etc on media.  The key is to remind yourself of the new adventure you're on...............  the one you chose or was chosen for you.  You are not stagnant.  You are relevant where ever you are.  You have assets to offer others and they to you.  Calif................   well you lived there for sometime and you can go back and visit.  But keep your perspective...........   the bigger perspective.  YOU are in control of YOU.............   so relax and enjoy the new rides, the new places and new (and often strange/quaint) peoples.  There is only one place I want to revisit in So Cal..............  the beaches in Venice and Santa Monica.  The rest is traffic and smog and HORDES of people.  Now I have truly blue skies, watch osprey hunt out my back window and I've met some real characters.  Life's good everywhere.  Really.

How can you have truly blue skies with 6000 aircraft flights per day creating contrails?

JJK

On 7/18/2017 at 5:34 PM, BigStewMan said:

so i always knew i had a purpose

Not to wax too philosophic and don't know if this will help but, I've always felt that the reason we're here is to help others.  (<--period)

Look at it this way...  what if you blinked your eyes and you were the only person on this earth?

You would essentially own everything, all of Trump's golden towers, all the golf courses, have any Ferrari or Bugatti you want...all the food on the shelves...

You're so wealthy...but alone....and what good does all the 'stuff' do for you?

Likely to make you miserable because of the missing human interaction.

Sounds like you are in an acceptable financial place, so go find someone/people that are less fortunate than you are and do something nice for them.

Play your guitar and entertain them

Read them some of your writings

Take them some donuts...

Make it about helping them in some way and I think you'd find some purpose again.

• Like 1